• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a gun in texas

Luiskey

Can anybody explain to me what laws there is on buying a handgun in another state (texas). I live in new mexico but want to buy a gun from my buddy who lives in texas, not sure if i have to go through a licenced dealer for this or not. Iv done research but im still confused on this. Any help or anything that can point me in the right direction would be great. Thank you!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Can anybody explain to me what laws there is on buying a handgun in another state (texas). I live in new mexico but want to buy a gun from my buddy who lives in texas, not sure if i have to go through a licenced dealer for this or not. Iv done research but im still confused on this. Any help or anything that can point me in the right direction would be great. Thank you!
First, This is a forum, not a text message. In other words, punctuation and capitalization is important. :)

Under federal law all handguns are considered in commerce. Therefore, the transfer to legally take place it must be transfered through a FFL.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This will help you.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-easiest-states-to-buy-a-gun_us_5735cfa8e4b08f96c182dc38

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Provide a better one then. :p
18 USC 922(a)(5)
(a) It shall be unlawful
(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
:p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Provide a better one then. :p

18 USC 922(a)(5)

(a) It shall be unlawful—
(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

:p

That is precisely how to accomplish the deed - well done.

gutshot II

The site is misleading. It shows that in most states a license is required to carry. Not true. It says to carry in Ohio a license is required. Open carry in Ohio is constitutional.

The only states where this article claims a "permit" is not need to carry a handguns are all constitutional carry states. I'd wager that the author of this article does not know that OC is allowed in many states without any type of "permit" or maybe that OC is ever allowed in any state. Ridiculous article, Ky. is the 11th easiest state to buy a gun?! It's easier to buy a gun in Colorado, Delaware and Indiana than in Ky.?! I don't think so.

Last edited: