• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Things my mother taught me to like and things to dislike

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
She liked Pecan Sandies cookies and Reese's pieces - neither of which I can abide.

OTOH - she set things in motion for pickled eggs and beets + home made bread & butter and watermelon rind pickles, country ham, sockeye salmon, caviar,.

She taught me to treat women with respect and my enemies with intolerence.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
If I listed the things my mother thought I should be prejudices towards Grapeshot would ban me before I even posted it.

But, her creamed spinach was to die for.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If I listed the things my mother thought I should be prejudices towards Grapeshot would ban me before I even posted it.

But, her creamed spinach was to die for.
When I was a young lad, I thought spinich and dandylions were trash food.

Now that my tastes have matured I realize they were heaven sent.

richbuff

For many years, my mom worried that I was not eating enough fruit and vegetables. I could tell her the truth, and she would be worried, or I could lie and say "Yes, mom" when she would ask me on the phone if I was eating veggies, but she could tell by the tone of my voice that I was lying.

Then, suddenly, two and a half years ago, before I turned 56, the situation got reversed. I went vegetarian and went from 233 to 157 pounds in five months. Since then, she has been worried that I am not eating any fish, eggs, etc. She asks me on the phone if I am eating any meat, dairy, eggs. I got two choices.... same as before, but 180 degrees reversed.