• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Verbal triptics

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There is likely a better name for them, but it escapes me.

During WWII the American service personell in Australia were saddled with 3 complaints:
"They are over paid, over sexed, and over here."

Defining the Korean Conflict in negative terms:
Pyorrhea, diarrhea, and Korea.

Have you others similar? Three short snappy phrases that rhyme.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Screwed, blued, and tattooed.

Every Sailor's goal!

Not so.

Original meaning and IMO the current one can be found on this link:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=screwed, blued and tattooed

A)
1 tighten all parts and screws (Screwed)
2 Use Blueing a blue paint lke stain that stuck easaly to metal (blued) and
3 Put his inspectors mark through the blue paint with a sharp scriber (tattooed)The part has passed inspection, it's been screwed, blued and tattooed and ready for release from the machine shop.

B)
All the definitions I've seen here have a positive connotation, which is completely wrong. The phrase has always had a very definite negative connotation, and means to be supremely screwed, screwed beyond all comprehension. The original phrase was "screwed, blewed and tattooed".

"Screwed" essentially means "cheated" here, much as it does today.

"Blewed" meant "lost or been robbed of". The word's origin is from the German "blauen" so it's actually related to "blue", not "blew", and meant that something had vanished (into the blue). (According to "A Dictionary of Slang, Jargon & Cant" By Charles Godfrey Leland, published in 1889.)

"Tattooed" refers here to a beating with very rapid blows, in the same sense as a military tattoo, which is a rapid pattern on a drum.

So, the phrase literally meant "cheated, robbed and beaten".

Last edited: