• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia is America’s most patriotic state

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - When it comes to which state bleeds the most red, white and blue – Virginia takes the top spot for 2018.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Strange that the United States has appropriated Independence Day the way it has, since the U.S. was invented thirteen years after the date we commemorate (which had nothing to do with the U.S.), and to a patriotic citizen of Virginia such as myself, represents Virginia's secession from the British Empire. I am a Virginian, and a citizen of the U.S. because the Fourteenth Amendment says so.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - When it comes to which state bleeds the most red, white and blue – Virginia takes the top spot for 2018.
Is it because Virginia violates your constitutionally protected rights less than other states or the federal government?

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Is it because Virginia violates your constitutionally protected rights less than other states or the federal government?

Until the influx of foreigners from far off lands like Massachussetts, New York, New Jersey, etc., Virginia was the last bastion of civilization on Earth. Virginians were taught from an early age to be honorable, trustworthy, and reliable. They accepted the concept of civic duty and believed in a duty to voluntarily comply with their own laws.

As we have seen in the Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads, Richmond and Roanoke areas, however, those concepts are long gone, and people now have the attitude that they are not responsible to anyone other than themselves, and they can do whatever they can get away with. They have the idea that if The State cared about what they were doing, then The State would let them know by some slap-on-the-wrist admonition. We've always made jokes about how badly Marylanders drive. But as Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Atavistic forces are taking over, and have acquired critical mass.

Marco

Until the influx of foreigners from far off lands like Massachussetts, New York, New Jersey, etc., Virginia was the last bastion of civilization on Earth. Virginians were taught from an early age to be honorable, trustworthy, and reliable. They accepted the concept of civic duty and believed in a duty to voluntarily comply with their own laws.

As we have seen in the Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads, Richmond and Roanoke areas, however, those concepts are long gone, and people now have the attitude that they are not responsible to anyone other than themselves, and they can do whatever they can get away with. They have the idea that if The State cared about what they were doing, then The State would let them know by some slap-on-the-wrist admonition. We've always made jokes about how badly Marylanders drive. But as Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Emphasis Mine:
Guess, I'll move back to NYC (born/raised). :shocker:

Comments below not directed towards anyone.
It's not like Virginia doesn't have it's share of home grown NANNY STATERS. If you doubt this, I can introduce you to quite a few.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Peter Strzok II comes to mind.

gutshot II

To my great surprise, I could not find anywhere in this thread where the "who, what or how" of naming the winner of this honor or the way they were picked. The complete rankings for each state can be seen here:
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-patriotic-states/13680/

It may surprise many of you, to find out that there is nothing in the methodology concerning constitutional rights, liberty, freedom or democracy. The complete methodology can be seen here:
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-patriotic-states/13680/#methodology

I posted this ranking on a website devoted to Ky. shooters and you should have heard the wailing (we were ranked 34th). Most of them were very offended and declared the entire thing to be very unfair. They all disagreed with the way the rankings were decided and decided it should have been decided by a different criterion of their own composition. I suggested that if they wanted to determine the methodology, they should conduct their own survey, but so far no one has stepped forward to do that. Congratulations to Va. and Va. residents for this recognition. I don't disagree with the outcome, but would have used different criteria and different "experts" for the rankings.

A lot can be learned by reading the comments of the 4 "experts" pictured in the rankings. Just click on their picture to get their perspective.

Last edited:

2a4all

Emphasis Mine:
Guess, I'll move back to NYC (born/raised). :shocker:

Comments below not directed towards anyone.
It's not like Virginia doesn't have it's share of home grown NANNY STATERS. If you doubt this, I can introduce you to quite a few.
Having lived here for well over forty years, I've concluded that daily life is essentially the same as everywhere else I've lived (born & raised in Massachusetts, my wife is from upstate NY). People get up in the morning, go to work, take care of their families, pay their bills, treat each other with courtesy, and participate with their neighbors in community affairs.

We are so civilized that we must trust our elected officials to "do the right thing" because our weak FOIA laws shield them from us finding out what they actually do.

OC for ME

Southern by birth, South Carolinian by the grace of God.

A patriotic lot we are in my family...except for that War of Northern aggression kerfuffle. A much revered portrait of Gen. Lee, Commander of the Army of Northern Virginia, hangs proudly over the mantle in my father's ancestral home. As does a portrait of John C. Calhoun that hangs over the wet bar. My avatar is of the Swamp Fox.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Southern by birth, South Carolinian by the grace of God.

A patriotic lot we are in my family...except for that War of Northern aggression kerfuffle. A much revered portrait of Gen. Lee, Commander of the Army of Northern Virginia, hangs proudly over the mantle in my father's ancestral home. As does a portrait of John C. Calhoun that hangs over the wet bar. My avatar is of the Swamp Fox.
Bob Moates (RIP) was more than a Hollywood style reenactor. Bob was Robert E. Lee and astride Traveler was a sight to behold.

When Lee/Moates surrendered, grown men cried real tears.

https://www.richmond.com/entertainment/robert-c-bob-moates-sr-gen-robert-e-lee-dies/article_39ec3278-839c-5893-ae62-883a781a122

Last edited:

Marco

Having lived here for well over forty years, I've concluded that daily life is essentially the same as everywhere else I've lived (born & raised in Massachusetts, my wife is from upstate NY). People get up in the morning, go to work, take care of their families, pay their bills, treat each other with courtesy, and participate with their neighbors in community affairs.

We are so civilized that we must trust our elected officials to "do the right thing" because our weak FOIA laws shield them from us finding out what they actually do.

emphasis mine^
Agreed, for the most part.
I wasn't the one stating foreigners (out of staters) changed VA, for the worse.

If I'm mis-reading your post.. I apologize

A place isn't patriotic, it's the people there that make it so.

2a4all

emphasis mine^
Agreed, for the most part.
I wasn't the one stating foreigners (out of staters) changed VA, for the worse.

If I'm mis-reading your post.. I apologize

A place isn't patriotic, it's the people there that make it so.
And the folks where we come from are very patriotic.
I was supporting your response to user's claim that somehow Virginia's values had been eroded by northern transplants. Is that why my kids & grand-kids don't have southern accents?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And the folks where we come from are very patriotic.
I was supporting your response to user's claim that somehow Virginia's values had been eroded by northern transplants. Is that why my kids & grand-kids don't have southern accents?

Might be time for hearing aids. :lol: