• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sigh, we give ourselves our own bad publicity

Status
Not open for further replies.

solus

http://fox59.com/2018/06/25/police-...ild-finds-gun-inside-fishers-ikea-fires-shot/

FISHERS, Ind.-- Fishers police say a child fired a shot inside an IKEA store.The incident occurred around 2 p.m. Monday at the Fishers IKEA at 11400 IKEA Way.

Authorities say a customer sat down on a couch to test it and a gun became dislodged from his pants. He didn't realize it and continued shopping.

Kids found the gun and one of them pulled the trigger, firing a single shot. No injuries were reported.

IKEA issued this statement:
"We take this incident very seriously and we have offered the family of the child involved our sincerest apologies.

"Safety and security of customers and co-workers is the top priority for IKEA. We have processes in place to ensure that the store is safe for customers and co-workers. For example, our store team has regular safety walks and audits which happen before, during and after opening hours.

In addition, IKEA has a no weapon policy in our locations to prevent exactly these types of situations. As soon as we were made aware of the situation, our co-workers took the action they were trained to do to ensure the safety of customers. We are cooperating with police as they investigate this incident."
In terms of any potential charges the gun's owner could face, the law is actually quite complicated. Gun expert, and attorney Guy Relford says the fact that no one was hurt, does play in the gun owner's favor.

“Being a knucklehead is not a crime in Indiana, or in most places," Relford said.

Relford added that perhaps the closest charge the gun's owner could receive is criminal recklessness. But that charge states the person has to knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly commit an act. Relford says this case sounds much more like an inadvertent error than something intentional or reckless.

“That can translate into civil liability, but that alone doesn’t result in criminal culpability," Relford said.

IKEA does have a posted "no gun" policy near its entrance, however because there is no law in Indiana that designates the violation of those policy as "illegal," the gun's owner cannot be subject to a criminal charge for violation of the policy.

“I actually doubt there will be criminal charges filed," Relford said.

Indiana is among the worst states when it comes to kids accidentally getting a hold of guns. According to a 2016 report, Indiana ranked seventh in the country for accidental shootings involving children.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
It's is clear that IKEA stores need to be shut down. Their products interfere with the proper carry of firearms. Any store that carries products that interfere with the carry of firearms must be heavily regulated for public safety purposes. It must be done before it reaches epidemic proportions.

WalkingWolf

"IKEA has a no weapon policy"

Fake news, impossible for a gun to discharge where guns are not allowed, gun free zone.

richbuff

More dangerous than the gun-sucking couch is the brain-sucking news media that he willfully exposed himself to a few hours earlier.

This person needs to steer clear of oh so many things that can interfere with the proper use of his brain.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
How old was the child, and what is his school's and parents' policies regarding teaching firearms safety versus keeping them completely ignorant?

Because finding a gun and pulling its trigger is a lot more 'knuckleheaded' than losing one in a couch in the first place.

And, IKEA, this is proof that your policy and signage does not "prevent" anything. You are anti-American idiots, and I find it embarrassing that so many Americans have been duped into giving you their business.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How old was the child, and what is his school's and parents' policies regarding teaching firearms safety versus keeping them completely ignorant?

Because finding a gun and pulling its trigger is a lot more 'knuckleheaded' than losing one in a couch in the first place.

And, IKEA, this is proof that your policy and signage does not "prevent" anything. You are anti-American idiots, and I find it embarrassing that so many Americans have been duped into giving you their business.
Parent(s) allowed their child to run about unsupervised/not controlled = neglect?

solus

Updated, quote: The boy, who is 6 years old, was not hurt, nor was anyone else...unquote.

https://wnep.com/2018/06/26/child-fires-loaded-gun-found-in-couch-at-indiana-ikea/

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Updated, quote: The boy, who is 6 years old,...

Thanks.

I don't have kids, but I remember that as first-grade age. So, um, that seems old enough to have easily been taught the dangers of pools, strangers, poisons, fire, electricity; oh, and guns.

Last edited:

357SigFan

Indiana is among the worst states when it comes to kids accidentally getting a hold of guns. According to a 2016 report, Indiana ranked seventh in the country for accidental shootings involving children.

EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION!!!!

If you actually EDUCATE kids on firearms and firearm safety instead of hiding them away like evil, forbidden fruit, of course 'accidents' will continue to happen!

CJ4wd

Would this accident have happened IF:

#1) the man hadn't "lost" his gun in the first place; OR
#2) the kid's parents had given even the slightest bit of gun safety training?

If the kid had had that "Don't touch!" training, it's unlikely that he would have handled it in the first place and told his parents instead.

As 357SigFan said - "Education!", but in this case, for BOTH.

solus

Would this accident have happened IF:

#1) the man hadn't "lost" his gun in the first place; OR
#2) the kid's parents had given even the slightest bit of gun safety training?

If the kid had had that "Don't touch!" training, it's unlikely that he would have handled it in the first place and told his parents instead.

As 357SigFan said - "Education!", but in this case, for BOTH.

How does an experienced firearm carrier ‘lose’ their firearm where they are completely unaware the firearm is ‘missing’ off their person!

A six yo lacks sustained concrete cognition to retain that type of instruction, kinda like the ‘do not touch the hot stove’ mentality as the child then touchs the stove to see if it really is hot!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
When you carry every day, 16 hours a day the firearm becomes a part of you. Becoming a part of you means you don't conscientiously feel it on your person. In other words, you don't know if you actually have the firearm on you or not. It's like wearing a ball cap all day and you take it off, but still think you you have it on. That is what pickpockets count on.

I sweep my arm across my arm on a regular basis to make sure my arm is holstered.

solus

When you carry every day, 16 hours a day the firearm becomes a part of you. Becoming a part of you means you don't conscientiously feel it on your person. In other words, you don't know if you actually have the firearm on you or not. It's like wearing a ball cap all day and you take it off, but still think you you have it on. That is what pickpockets count on.

I sweep my arm across my arm on a regular basis to make sure my arm is holstered.

Inital report(s) stated to ‘fell out of their pants’ :eek:

Fallschirjmäger

EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION!!!!
If you actually EDUCATE kids on firearms and firearm safety instead of hiding them away like evil, forbidden fruit, of course 'accidents' will continue to happen!
Sadly, I don't think Eddie Eagle is allowed in schools. And that's a damn shame.
59b0479ed0f57.image.jpg

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Who is covering the bill for the damaged goods and furnishings hit by the bullet? The kid's parents, hopefully. And don't they owe the owner for the spent ammunition?

JTHunter2

Good point.
While I can't read newsprint beyond 6-7", a bad habit of mine is to take my glasses off to look at something up close - then forget to put them back on. I'm so used to my house that I frequently go from room to room, carrying various things around or doing some chores W/O my glasses, then have to hunting for them as I don't remember where I left them !
If this holster was an IWB, he was probably more aware of the pressure of that in his side than of the missing weight of the gun.
AND, how big was the gun??
:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.