• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Three greatest Documents

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
IMHO, these are:

1) Ten Commandments

2) US Constitution including the BoR.

3) Lincoln's Gettysburg address.

FBrinson

IMHO, these are:

1) Ten Commandments

2) US Constitution including the BoR.

3) Lincoln's Gettysburg address.

1. Ten Commandments
2. My daughter's birth certificate (symbolic- as I didn't need one to have a kid) She was born 18 days ago.
3. Declaration of Independance
4. Constitution
5. Family secret recipe for 'Hawaiian Steak'.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
- Magna Carta
- Declaration of Independence
- US Constitution

Three statements of human rights.

JTHunter2

Tess - do you include the Bill of Rights in your list as part of the Constitution or do you consider it a separate document?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I would say by default that the Bill of Rights is part of the Constitution, by definition. It amended it. You can discuss it individually, sure, but if we just mention the Constitution, a living document, we'd be including all 27 amendments.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Tess - do you include the Bill of Rights in your list as part of the Constitution or do you consider it a separate document?

All of the amendments are, by definition, part of the Constitution.

While I appreciate the academic discussion from time to time of the Bill of Rights as a separate document with a set purpose - which it was at one time - and now recognize the value of those 10 as clearly and (theoretically) unequivocally constraining government, I understand that our Constitution has been amended 27 times, the Amendments themselves are essentially just an index.

Last edited: