• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wenatchee Confluence State Park head ranger bans open carry?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Well... that is an interesting interpretation of the law. However, I am not convinced that you have considered the "reasonable person" standard (which is how a Washington judge would quite probably interpret the plain language of the statute). See State Right to Bear Arms in Washington analyzing Washington Courts reviews of Wash. Const. Art. 1, Sec. 24 and RCW 9.41.

In any event, it's been nice chatting with you.
Wow!!! No citation of a Washington statute as implied. Then tries to support his position by citing a "Giffords Law Center" article (a gun hating website) citing old case law (predating Heller).
The Supreme Court in Marbury v. Madison, 5 US 137, 177. (1803) stated: “Certainly all those who have framed written constitutions contemplate them as forming the fundamental and paramount law of the nation, and, consequently, the theory of every such government must be, that an act of the legislature, repugnant to the constitution, is void.” And, in their closing the Marbury court, at page 179, stated: “Thus, the particular phraseology of the constitution of the United States confirms and strengthens the principle, supposed to be essential to all written constitutions, that a law repugnant to the constitution is void; and that courts, as well as other departments, are bound by that instrument.”

The Supreme Court in United States v. Cruikshank, 92 U.S. 542, 553, 23 L.Ed 588 (1876) declared that the right of “bearing arms for a lawful purpose.” was not granted by the Constitution. The understanding was that it was in existence before the Constitution. “The second amendment declares that it shall not be infringed, but this, as has been seen, means no more than that it shall not be infringed by Congress.”

Then 134 years later the Supreme Court declared that the Second Amendment applies to the states. See McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 742 (2010).

In 2008 the United States Supreme Court in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 592, 171 L.Ed 2d 637, 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008) declared “we find that they guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation. This meaning is strongly confirmed by the historical background of the Second Amendment.” The Court then cited Cruikshank as part of its historical analysis. Thus, Heller held that the right to bear arms for a lawful purpose was secured by the U.S. Constitution.

More importantly, Heller did not limit the right to bear arms. It specifically stated, “Second Amendment implicitly recognizes the pre-existence of the right and declares only that it ‘shall not be infringed.” The Court reiterated, “Our opinion is, that any law, State or Federal, is repugnant to the Constitution, and void, which contravenes this right, originally belonging to our forefathers.”

Additionally, the Supreme Court in Caetano v. Massachusetts, 577 U. S. ____ (2016) unanimously held that “the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding,” and that this “Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States.”

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

Open discourse leads to positive information. "Chatting" is what we do here, eh? Not that anyone would add a snarky comment or purposely irritate others.

snark·y
ˈsnärkē/Submit
adjectiveNORTH AMERICANinformal
(of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide.
"the kid who makes snarky remarks in class"
cranky; irritable.
"Bobby's always a bit snarky before his nap"

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Open discourse leads to positive information. "Chatting" is what we do here, eh? Not that anyone would add a snarky comment or purposely irritate others.

snark·y
ˈsnärkē/Submit
cranky; irritable.
"Bobby's always a bit snarky before his nap"
I'm glad your comment was not directed towards me.

solus

snark·y
ˈsnärkē/Submit
cranky; irritable.
"Bobby’s Color of Law always a bit snarky before his nap"

There ya go, fixed it for you both, :shocker:

oh wait, does that meet the definition of snark y? :eek:

Nawl, not from me, :uhoh: just plain, good olde open discourse going on!! :cool:

Last edited:

Dave Workman

Oh, I think that the interpretation is accurate.

Exactly. The explanation is matter-of-fact if one reads it properly, counselor.
England? Why would anyone want to live in England when you can enjoy the same sort of social nonsense by living in Seattle...in a tent?
:D;)

Dave Workman

What statute section says "clearly visible to the public"? If it does say that then there is no such thing as open carry. If my gun is visible on my right side and the public is on the left side the gun is not visible.

Are you deliberately trying to be obtuse here?

The literal explanation is rather matter-of-fact. "Open carry" as pretty much everyone here knows, is the act of openly carrying a firearm that is "clearly visible to the public." It's not covered up. That doesn't change if people on the right can't see your left side, where a firearm might be positioned. The firearm is still not covered up.

:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

The literal explanation is rather matter-of-fact. "Open carry" as pretty much everyone here knows, is the act of openly carrying a firearm that is "clearly visible to the public." It's not covered up. That doesn't change if people on the right can't see your left side, where a firearm might be positioned. The firearm is still not covered up.

OC is carrying a holstered handgun as we go about our daily lives.

It is not dependent on the carrier and not dependent on the viewer.

Whether the OCer is in a phone booth, strong side to the wall in a restaurant booth, on the other side of a hedge or wall makes not a scintilla of difference. If the standard of availability to see as conditions are met, it is OCing.

deanf

Oh, I think that the interpretation is accurate.

My quarrel is with the RCW 9.41.290 reference.

The state Parks and Recreation Commission is an Executive Branch agency. The preemption RCW doesn't apply.

The only preemption over state agencies is the State Constitution.

Dave Workman

OC is carrying a holstered handgun as we go about our daily lives.

It is not dependent on the carrier and not dependent on the viewer.

Whether the OCer is in a phone booth, strong side to the wall in a restaurant booth, on the other side of a hedge or wall makes not a scintilla of difference. If the standard of availability to see as conditions are met, it is OCing.

We appear to be in agreement. Semantics are different.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Dave Workman;2232753[B said:
]
Originally Posted by color of law[/B]
What statute section says "clearly visible to the public"? If it does say that then there is no such thing as open carry. If my gun is visible on my right side and the public is on the left side the gun is not visible.

Neither you nor rapgood has pointed to a statute or a court case that uses the phrase "clearly visible to the public." In other words, your "rather matter-of-fact" statement is without support of the plain meaning of the words.
"Clearly" means in such a way as to allow easy and accurate perception or interpretation.
"Visible" means able to be seen.
Your "not covered up" does not play into the equation. Many courts have ruled that if the firearm is discernible, perceptible, or capable of being perceived by the senses or the mind it is not concealed. Not "clearly visible" as the definitions of those terms mean does not fit your explanation. The term "printing" means covered, but recognizable.

With that said, I'm still waiting for a statute or a court case that uses the phrase "clearly visible to the public."

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Neither you nor rapgood has pointed to a statute or a court case that uses the phrase "clearly visible to the public." In other words, your "rather matter-of-fact" statement is without support of the plain meaning of the words.
"Clearly" means in such a way as to allow easy and accurate perception or interpretation.
Your "not covered up" does not play into the equation. Many courts have ruled that if the firearm is discernible, perceptible, or capable of being perceived by the senses or the mind it is not concealed. Not "clearly visible" as the definitions of those terms mean does not fit your explanation. The term "printing" means covered, but recognizable.

With that said, I'm still waiting for a statute or a court case that uses the phrase "clearly visible to the public."

Reasonable man doctrine...

2a4all

I haven't seen the phrase you ask about, but here in Virginia, the phrase "hidden from common observation" comes close.
Code of Virginia
18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon..."

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I haven't seen the phrase you ask about, but here in Virginia, the phrase "hidden from common observation" comes close.
Code of Virginia
18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon..."
Main v. Com., 450 SE 2d 772 - Va: Court of Appeals 1994 https://scholar.google.com/scholar_...om+common+observation+means&hl=en&as_sdt=4,47
Adopting the majority rule that concealment is a question for the trier of fact to be determined on the circumstances of the individual case, we hold that a weapon need not be completely hidden from view in order for it to be concealed within the meaning of Code § 18.2-308. In this case, the evidence established that the arresting officer was able to immediately identify the object protruding from Main's pocket as a weapon when his point of observation allowed him to see the visible portion of the weapon. Because that point of observation was not unusual in degree or aspect when compared to the officer's initial point of observation, we find that the weapon was not "hidden from common observation" and, thus, was not concealed. Accordingly, we reverse Main's conviction.
This is based on Richards v. Com., 443 SE 2d 177 - Va: Court of Appeals 1994 https://scholar.google.com/scholar_...om+common+observation+means&hl=en&as_sdt=4,47
This definition does not come close to the meaning "clearly visible to the public."