• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carriers Gun Crime Rates?

1245A Defender

This from a post on the "Pilots of America" forum in response to the accepted
view that Legal Concealed carriers are the most law abiding demographic of folks.

tawoodCleared for Takeoff

Display name:
Tim

New

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here, and I'd question where you are getting your statistics. In my state (Michigan) gun crime by legal concealed-weapon holders is VERY common. As a personal example, I'm a detective in a Detroit suburb city, population just under 100K. I keep track of my case vs charge rate for the cases I am assigned, as well as my department keeps track for all detectives. Our city's CPL holders / visiting CPL holders currently make up about 40% of our gun-related charges. My own statistics for the past 5 years are actually slightly higher (45%). I believe that the biggest reason for this is that if you are legally carrying, but involved in OTHER illegal activities (felonies) in Michigan, you are also committing a gun crime (the crime is called "committing a felony while in possession of a firearm"). Where I see this most commonly is a CPL holder having illegal narcotics...but we do get our share of felonious assaults by CPL holders as well (pointing their gun at someone that isn't a threat, for example).

I believe that being able to carry a concealed weapon is a right, and I don't want to see that right infringed, but I also believe that many people who exercise that right probably shouldn't...

Last edited: 21 minutes ago

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well now that is interesting.
You're not likely to be convicted of a gun crime unless you have a gun. Who would have thunk it?.:p

solus

https://pilotsofamerica.com/communi...veryday-kit-for-an-adult.111690/#post-2541779

Sorry, 1245Adefender, taking an alledged Detroit gold shield LE’s out of the blue statement(s) of the atrocities of firearm card carrying citizens for alledged narcotic violations or misbehaviour of randomly drawing & pointing their carry firearm at other citizens is ludicrous at best and should make someone of your caliber throw the BS flag asking for some substantive evidence!

The members of OCDO community who are LE haven’t made any similar wild accusations about the citizens in their respective communities across the nation, so why on earth would you lend credence to spread this idiot’s BS.

Since you apparently a forum member of this other forum, did you challenge the idiot’s unsubstantiated nonsense ~ oh wait, the link,is cited above...no you didn’t did you?

solus

Oh lookie there, the pilot site’s members have jumped in Detroit Gold Shield’s case with both feet and called BS on his statements.

Will wonders never cease...guess 1245A Defender you posted the Shield’s misinformation prematurely out here on OCDO?

solus

Fasinating, the posted thread has morphed to carry protocols, e.g., one member defending his statement of NEVER carry w/round chambered...

individual getting hammered with dissenting opinions at the moment.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So PEACEFULLY minding your own business while ignoring another type of malum prohibitum possession law constitutes "gun crime." Screw the cop.

Last edited: