• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry

marine77

Sorry, not much time to look, been a while being here, don't know if all laws are up to date. I know used to be able to opencarry in Kentucky. Still this way? What are the 'do nots'?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
If you are legal to carry a firearm in Kentucky, you are legal to openly carry a firearm. Certain rules apply to vehicles, courts and other places.
edit - (see 1st post in this thread for links)

Last edited:

gutshot II

Sorry, not much time to look, been a while being here, don't know if all laws are up to date. I know used to be able to opencarry in Kentucky. Still this way? What are the 'do nots'?

There are only two Ky. statues that deal with open carry. KRS 527.070, no guns on school property(K thru 12). Its a felony with prison time. KRS 244.125, no LOADED guns in a room where alcohol is served by the drink. Exception for restuarants.
Colleges and universities property can kick you out, just like a private business, but no criminal penalty. Detention facilities ban all gun, as do court facilities. These two places you might forfiet the weapon, maybe contempt of court charge.
Cities and counties can not have any restrictions on open carry. All federal property is "NO GUNS". This just the "Cliff Notes" summary. Open carry is legal on all other public property.
OC has been legal since Ky. became a state in 1792. For over 100 years, it was the only legal way to carry a gun in Ky. I don't expect that it will change anytime soon.

Don't's? Don't shoot anybody, including yourself, unless its absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Chief Ten Beers

If you are legal to carry a firearm in Kentucky, you are legal to openly carry a firearm. Certain rules apply to vehicles, courts and other places.
edit - (see 1st post in this thread for links)

What are the rules for open carry in a vehicle? When I open carry in a vehicle, it's in the holster on my hip. I know about being on the seat next to me or in a glove box or other storage container in the vehicle.