• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deputy accidentally fired his gun in NC bowling alley. The bullet injured a kid.

WalkingWolf

Pocket holster? or not? Glock?

Why was the idiot sticking his hand in his pocket, was he in fear of his life from the ball return?

WalkingWolf

And what crime would "you or I" be convicted of so that we'd be there?

§ 14-401.22. Reckless endangerment.
6 Any person who recklessly engages in conduct that creates a substantial risk of
7 serious physical injury or death to another person is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor

Fallschirjmäger

§ 14-401.22. Reckless endangerment.
Any person who recklessly engages in conduct that creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury or death to another person is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor

"Reckless conduct" is any type of conduct wherein the defendant knew or should have known that their actions would cause harm to another person.
Reaching into one's pocket isn't reckless, nor would it have been even if he had dropped the firearm. Nor was his accidental discharge of the pistol as reckless conduct requires a deliberate action. The law recognizes that not all accidental conduct is reckless.

Nothing the officer did was done with deliberate disregard for the safety of others... so.. not reckless as the District Attorney interpreted the law.

Now, if you DO want to see a travesty of justice and a District Attorney bending the law, all you have to do is go to the case of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy who wasn't charged with anything after he left his travel lane and ran over a bicyclist, killing him. The DA in that case deliberately mis-charged the Deputy so that he wouldn't be tried in court.

WalkingWolf

"Reckless conduct" is any type of conduct wherein the defendant knew or should have known that their actions would cause harm to another person.
Reaching into one's pocket isn't reckless, nor would it have been even if he had dropped the firearm. Nor was his accidental discharge of the pistol as reckless conduct requires a deliberate action. The law recognizes that not all accidental conduct is reckless.

Nothing the officer did was done with deliberate disregard for the safety of others... so.. not reckless as the District Attorney interpreted the law.

Now, if you DO want to see a travesty of justice and a District Attorney bending the law, all you have to do is go to the case of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy who wasn't charged with anything after he left his travel lane and ran over a bicyclist, killing him. The DA in that case deliberately mis-charged the Deputy so that he wouldn't be tried in court.

Gun in pocket goes boom, injures young person. That is reckless/negligent, otherwise the gun would not have gone boom, inanimate objects don't do that by themselves.

Fallschirjmäger

I'm glad we have the benefit of your wisdom.

Maybe you should share it with the Iridell County District Attorney and show him how you're smarter than some dang Tar Heel Lawyer person? Just call (704) 832-6610. I'm sure they're eagerly awaiting the call any week day between 8AM and 5PM Eastern.

solus

As was previously stated, JQPublic citizen would have been severely chastised for carrying their pistol in an unsafe manner w/o benefit of holster while bowling in our spare time. Then to have said firearm ‘accidentally discharge’ when JQPublic citizen reaches into their pocket causing injury to a young boy...

Mooresville PD investigated the deputy who was later suspended without pay for 20 days and put on employment probation by his department.

Nawlll there isn’t professional courtesy being extended, not in the least!

WalkingWolf

I'm glad we have the benefit of your wisdom.

Maybe you should share it with the Iridell County District Attorney and show him how you're smarter than some dang Tar Heel Lawyer person? Just call (704) 832-6610. I'm sure they're eagerly awaiting the call any week day between 8AM and 5PM Eastern.

So because a pass was given by the States Attorney you believe that his gun handling was safe/not reckless/careless? Maybe you should call the prosecutor in Denver Co about the FBI agent to voice your concern that an agent was charged for what you believe was withing the law gun handling.

WalkingWolf

As was previously stated, JQPublic citizen would have been severely chastised for carrying their pistol in an unsafe manner w/o benefit of holster while bowling in our spare time. Then to have said firearm ‘accidentally discharge’ when JQPublic citizen reaches into their pocket causing injury to a young boy...

Mooresville PD investigated the deputy who was later suspended without pay for 20 days and put on employment probation by his department.

Nawlll there isn’t professional courtesy being extended, not in the least!

I will go you one further, that same officer would probably have arrested a civilian for the same reckless conduct.

Fallschirjmäger

So because a pass was given by the States Attorney you believe that his gun handling was safe/not reckless/careless? Maybe you should call the prosecutor in Denver Co about the FBI agent to voice your concern that an agent was charged for what you believe was withing the law gun handling.
I don't believe his gun handling was safe, I believe it was careless. I don't believe it rises to the level of reckless. As they say, Words Have Meaning, and all those words you just ran together have separate meanings.

solus

I don't believe his gun handling was safe, I believe it was careless. I don't believe it rises to the level of reckless. As they say, Words Have Meaning, and all those words you just ran together have separate meanings.

So one presumes you also believe in santa, the easter bunny, as well as charle brown’s great pumpkin?

WalkingWolf

I believe the ND in a public place, and the injured boy took it from careless to reckless. There is no doubt with the thousands of pocket carry ND's that he knew what he was doing was dangerous to the public.

Yet he did it anyway.

Fallschirjmäger

So one presumes you also believe in santa, the easter bunny, as well as charle brown’s great pumpkin?
One can presume anything he likes, it doesn't make it true about anyone else.
Surely we left such tactics back on the elementary school playgrounds?

Funny thing, Santa and the Easter bunny are all a part of Christian Mythology, so no, I don't believe in either of them any more than I do a world covering deluge, seas parting in twain, or that two of each species of reptile, bird, and mammal can fit on a wooden boat with the same deck space as a Walmart Super Center.

solus

One can presume anything he likes, it doesn't make it true about anyone else.
Surely we left such tactics back on the elementary school playgrounds?

Funny thing, Santa and the Easter bunny are all a part of Christian Mythology, so no, I don't believe in either of them any more than I do a world covering deluge, seas parting in twain, or that two of each species of reptile, bird, and mammal can fit on a wooden boat with the same deck space as a Walmart Super Center.

This member is surprisingly disappointed your learned belief system, which you felt the need to disavow, somehow attaches Santa and Easter origins to the Christian dogma? They existed significantly before

As for the great pumpkin I am afraid only Charles Shultz knows the origin of the cartoon’s urban legend.

For the record, as for the great flood, geologically it occurred, the ark is a tangible, touchable artifact, as is St Claus’ mortal remains..both from the modern civilization we call currently Turkiye

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Way to much thread drift - sidebars are becoming the norm here. Back on topic or suffer the lock.