• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shot while naked

1245A Defender

well,,,

too bed his gorilla avatar is missing,,,
but i read the story at the link and
i was reminded of our old but banned friend...

eye95
user-offline.png

BannedJoin DateJan 2010LocationFairborn, Ohio, USAPosts12,802

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I truly wonder if you or I shot a naked person if we would be arrested or not.

I would guess we wouldn't, this officer wasn't.
Don't bet the farm. Prosecutor or grand jury may be the biggest risk.

What is this "we" thing? My risk is non existent insofar as being arrested for an offense like this.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Thank you Grapeshot for this valuable life experience lesson that it is not a good idea to roll around on the interstate naked as a jaybird. In your backyard maybe, but not on the interstate.

gutshot II

Don't bet the farm. Prosecutor or grand jury may be the biggest risk.

What is this "we" thing? My risk is non existent insofar as being arrested for an offense like this.

Do you mean you shooting a naked man on the interstate or you being a naked man on the interstate?

Firearms Iinstuctor

Does anybody know if the officers body cam video has been released yet.

As a LEO I have been assaulted by nearly naked assailants never a fully naked one but ones just down to their underwear.

Normally those people are very intoxicated on some serious drugs they were in my cases. They tend to be very pain resistant. Back when these assaults happened the drug normally was PCP.

Now days the drugs seem to evolved to be just as or more dangerous to the user. The reason they get naked is the their body is over heating and shutting down causing them to strip off their clothes trying to cool down.

They can not be reason with, they can be very violent, they can be very dangerous, even if not armed. If you have never been assaulted by some truly trying to beat the Sh!t out of you, you mostly well not understand.

Or if you never seen someone killed or seriously hurt by some one just using their hands and feet, you most likely well not understand how dangerous it is to take kicks and punches.

I seen and investigated people who were murdered by single punches, let alone those who ended up hospitalized with serious injuries.

It is not TV where people take many serious hits and keep fighting, most street fights are won by the person who lands the first good solid hit.

These people who are high can take blows and keep on coming that would lay low someone who was not under the influence.

We did not have tasers back then or OC, what I would have given to have that option. Might have save those attackers from being hurt.

I fully credit not getting severely injured in those assaults to being in top physical shape and highly trained.

If I had not been running 10 K in under 36 minutes doing a hundred pushups, sit-ups practicing by defensive skills daily.

I could very well have been killed or seriously injured by those attackers that were intent on doing me seriously harm.

Most officers today have no life experience in the fighting they are not in great shape. In a lot of departments they are no longer well trained with or have no access to batons.

I was highly trained with my PR24 and consider it one of the most effective impact weapon that a LEO can carry to defend themselves with.

I was able to use it to great effectiveness to keep from being too seriously injured and hurt by those attackers .

I came very close to shooting one unarmed assailant that I did everything short of shooting him to stop the assault.

If a by stander had not jumped on his back to help me, most likely with in 30 seconds I would had to have shot him to stop him.

This was after several minutes of him assaulting me. I was able defend him off with my baton but barely, he took many full power strikes to what are considered not vital areas.

I was down to using a strike to a vital area and could be consider deadly force, he took that blow dropped to the ground jumped back up and continued his assault on me.

That is when the by stander jumped on his back and took him down and I jumped on him and got him hand cuffed.

We were laying on him to keep him from getting up with him still kicking and trying to head butt us after a minute or so I very glad to hear the sirens of my back up coming.

The whole assault lasted most likely lasted at the most 5 minutes seemed like a lot longer.

Again if I hadn't been in the very good shape with highly developed defensive skills I most likely would have shot him.

I could very well see why some officers could very well be justified in doing so.

Side note I saw him several years later he thank me for not shooting him. At that time he told be he had been sober for several years and was a born again Christian.

Last edited:

hammer6

Does anybody know if the officers body cam video has been released yet.

As a LEO I have been assaulted by nearly naked assailants never a fully naked one but ones just down to their underwear.

Normally those people are very intoxicated on some serious drugs they were in my cases. They tend to be very pain resistant. Back when these assaults happened the drug normally was PCP.

Now days the drugs seem to evolved to be just as or more dangerous to the user. The reason they get naked is the their body is over heating and shutting down causing them to strip off their clothes trying to cool down.

They can not be reason with, they can be very violent, they can be very dangerous, even if not armed. If you have never been assaulted by some truly trying to beat the Sh!t out of you, you mostly well not understand.

Or if you never seen someone killed or seriously hurt by some one just using their hands and feet, you most likely well not understand how dangerous it is to take kicks and punches.

I seen and investigated people who were murdered by single punches, let alone those who ended up hospitalized with serious injuries.

It is not TV where people take many serious hits and keep fighting, most street fights are won by the person who lands the first good solid hit.

These people who are high can take blows and keep on coming that would lay low someone who was not under the influence.

We did not have tasers back then or OC, what I would have gave to have that option. Might have save those attackers from being hurt.

I fully credit not getting severely injured in those assaults to being in top physical shape and highly trained.

If I hand been running 10 K in under 36 minutes doing a hundred pushups, sit-ups practicing by defensive skills daily.

I could very well been killed or seriously injured those attackers were intent on doing me seriously harm.

Most officers today have no life experience in the fighting they are not in great shape. In a lot of departments they are no longer well trained with or have no access to batons.

I was highly trained with my PR24 and consider it one of the most effective impact weapon that a LEO can carry to defend themselves with.

I was able to use it to great effectiveness to keep from being too seriously hurt the attackers not so much.

I came very close to shooting one unarmed assailant that I did everything short of shooting him to stop the assault.

If a by stander had not jumped on his back to help me, most likely with in 30 seconds I would had to shoot him to stop him.

This was after several minutes of him assaulting me. I was able defend him of with my baton but barely, he took many full power strikes to what are considered not vital areas.

I was down to using a strike to what could be a vital area and deadly force, he took that blow dropped to the ground jumped back up and continued his assault on me.

That when the by stander jumped on his back and took him down and I jumped him and got him hand cuffed.

We were laying on him to keep him from getting up with him still kicking and trying to head butt us after a minute or so I very glad to hear the sirens of my back up coming.

The whole assault lasted most likely lasted at the most 5 minutes seemed like a lot longer.

Again if I hadn't been in the very good shape with highly developed defensive skills I most likely would have shot him.

I could very well see why some officers could very well be justified in doing so.

Side note I saw him several years later he thank me for not shooting him. At that time he told be he had been sober for several years and was a born again Christian.

I think instances such as this get blown out of proportion due to the frequency of civil rights violations and unlawful use of force instances when it comes to enforcing the law.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I think instances such as this get blown out of proportion due to the frequency of civil rights violations and unlawful use of force instances when it comes to enforcing the law.

I think many justifiable instances get blown out of proportion by people who are looking to blame others for the bad actions of those committing actions that caused them to come to attention of law enforcement.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think many justifiable instances get blown out of proportion by people who are looking to blame others for the bad actions of those committing actions that caused them to come to attention of law enforcement.

When they are looking to CYA, they might want to be careful where they put the shovel.

If it can get mucked up, it will.

The Wolfhound

Local news reports say that the bodycam video will be released as soon as it is seen by the family. The officer has only received the usual "administrative" duties while this is being investigated. There appears to have been a heaping helping of "crazy" on display either because of drugs or a psychotic break. We need to find more effective tools for dealing with non-compliant in public. The story is, the Tazer failed to stop him. It is most unfortunate that a person in obvious distress died. The officer may have felt he had no other choice.

Firearms Iinstuctor

We need to find more effective tools for dealing with non-compliant in public. The story is, the Tazer failed to stop him. .

If you can find or develop one you well have departments beating down your door to buy it that is why OC companies and Taser INTl. have made millions.

Because when they work one does not end up beating the suspect or shooting them.

Last edited:

HP995

FI, well done. I'm sure training is often lacking, but so is the attitude. No substitute for the values that you demonstrated.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I like that phrase, "forced to use deadly force". That's sort of like when there's a domestic assault case because the wife accidently shook hubby's beer on the way to the Lazy-Boy and TV, and when it sprayed him in the face, he jumped up and punched her in the eye, exclaiming, "See what you made me do?".

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I like that phrase, "forced to use deadly force". That's sort of like when there's a domestic assault case because the wife accidently shook hubby's beer on the way to the Lazy-Boy and TV, and when it sprayed him in the face, he jumped up and punched her in the eye, exclaiming, "See what you made me do?".
It is the beers fault.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Peters then comes toward the officer and threatens to kill him.

"Nyantakyi deployed his stun gun, but one of the prongs did not hit him, Richmond Police Chief Alfred Durham said Friday. Peters then attempts to grab the stun gun and does not back away from the officer."

"Nyantakyi then fires his gun, and Peters eventually collapses. The entire incident lasted a mere 18 seconds."

"Backup officers then arrived to the scene and delivered first aid to Peters, who died the next day."

http://www.nbc12.com/story/38277351/watch-police-to-release-body-cam-footage-of-i-95-shooting-death