• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of state permit

David555

Hi all. I am a KY resident but have a New Hampshire CCW permit. Can i carry a concealed firearm legally in Kentucky with my N.H. permit? Also if anyone knows if it is legal in Tennessee as I visit my kids down there often. Thank you for your time.

solus

Hi all. I am a KY resident but have a New Hampshire CCW permit. Can i carry a concealed firearm legally in Kentucky with my N.H. permit? Also if anyone knows if it is legal in Tennessee as I visit my kids down there often. Thank you for your time.

Forgive the confusion factor but didn’t you state on 10 Mar 18 in the NH sub-forum:
[h=2]Coming to visit[/h]
Hello. Although a bit old news now, I would like to congratulate your state for passing constitutional carry. I live in Kentucky and do not have a concealed carry permit as open carry is legal in my state also without permit. I will be coming to visit New Hampshire the first week of april and was wondering if being from out state if i can legally carry either openly or concealed without a permit from my state. Thank you for your time. Unquote.

So why pay $100 non-resident to NH when KY’s permit is $60 [20/sheriff & 40/treasurer]

Sticking with the forum’s theme: TN Open Carry is only legal for those with a valid permit/license to carry a concealed firearm.​

Me thinks something is rotten in Frankfort...

David555

Yes and then a friend of mine who has a ky and nh permit suggested I Just get a nh non-resident permit to be sure so like an idiot i did and after 2 weeks, 3 references, a background check by the nh state police and a 100 dollars I have a nh permit so was curious if it was valid here too.

David555

Color of law. Ikr. I feel like that guy. Not sure why I listened to him. From what i can see it looks like it's fine in other states but being a resident here I would have to have a KY CCDW bit in TN I would be ok. Thanks for the link. Never worried aboit getting it here cuz open carry is legal.

gutshot II

Try this link.

http://ksponline.org/ccdw/reciprocity.html

There is no mention of non-resident permits. Perhaps a citizen of KY will provide further guidance.

I'd be glad to do that. Ky. does not issue non-resident concealed carry licenses. They are only issued to residents of Ky. and residents must have a Ky. license to lawfully carry a concealed weapon in Ky. For those that are not residents of Ky., a license issued by any other state or district will be accepted. For those that are just becoming residents of Ky., COL posted the applicable statute in his post #4 of this thread. I don't know if that would apply to the OP. It would depend on when he became a resident of Ky. and whether or not Ky. has reciprocity with NH. I don't know the answer to either of those questions.

Last edited:

David555

Gutshot. Thank you. KY Does have reciprocity with NH but I moved to KY about 2 years ago. COL was right, not sure why I listened to my buddy and ended up spending 100 dollars I didn't need to. Live and learn. Guess it will still work for TN at least when I go visit the kids as far as I can tell they accept NH non resident permits as well. Like I said I never worried about it here cuz I usually OC anyway. Just didn't know if since I spent the money it would work here with me now being a legal redident of KY.

Last edited:

gutshot II

Gutshot. Thank you. KY Does have reciprocity with NH but I moved to KY about 2 years ago. COL was right, not sure why I listened to my buddy and ended up spending 100 dollars I didn't need to. Live and learn. Guess it will still work for TN at least when I go visit the kids as far as I can tell they accept NH non resident permits as well. Like I said I never worried about it here cuz I usually OC anyway. Just didn't know if since I spent the money it would work here with me now being a legal redident of KY.

It could have been even worse if you had been caught CC in Ky. with that invalid license. You could have been charged for carring a concealed weapon. I doubt that any LEO would even know the law that well, but you can never be sure and it is a gamble but I am sure your buddy would have paid your fine since you acted on his information.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Yes and then a friend of mine who has a ky and nh permit suggested I Just get a nh non-resident permit to be sure so like an idiot i did and after 2 weeks, 3 references, a background check by the nh state police and a 100 dollars I have a nh permit so was curious if it was valid here too.

I remember when they were $15.00 for non-residents...