• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Walkout April 20th

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In new walkouts, students look to turn outrage to action

"We want to show that we're not scared. We want to stop mass shootings and we want gun control," said Binayak Pandey, 16, who rallied with dozens of students outside Georgia's Capitol in Atlanta. "The people who can give us that will stay in office, and the people who can't give us that will be out of office."

All told, tens of thousands of students left class Friday for protests that spread from coast to coast. They filed out at 10 a.m. to gather for a moment of silence honoring the victims of gun violence. Some headed to nearby rallies. Others stayed at school to discuss gun control and register their peers to vote.

Organizers said an estimated 150,000 students protested Friday at more than 2,700 walkouts, including at least one in each state, as they sought to sustain a wave of youth activism that drove a larger round of walkouts on March 14. Activists behind that earlier protest estimated it drew nearly 1 million students.

Several hundred gathered at New York City's Washington Square Park, chanting "The NRA has got to go!" and "Enough is enough." A large group in Washington marched from the White House to the Capitol building to rally for gun control.

https://tinyurl.com/y9nxbstv

From the flip side of this "walkout" comes a voice of reason (same link):

"Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, a Republican candidate for governor, addressed the crowd and later criticized the walkout movement.

"Instead of walking out of class, why don't you stay in class and spend that half hour studying the Second Amendment? You might learn something," Kobach said later."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
After viewing reports of a number of these "walkouts," I come away with certain impressions/conclusions:

1) - Their numbers were greatly exaggerated.

2) - Many students were well beyond the age of high school students.

3) - They are ignorant of or intentionally ignore the right to self defense.

4) - Their effects/goals will largely fail, in spite of media reports to the contrary, because the American people are less and less inclined to drink the Kool-Aid.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It would be interesting to see what took place in the individual states.

Please post observations in your home state sub-forum and post any Fair Use reports and links to same here as well.

WalkingWolf

About 300 showed up in Raleigh, though the video of students did not look any where near that. They are catching on that the elders in their groups are being spotted so in pictures they are in the background now instead of the foreground as previous marches. Even if there was actual 300 students that is a poor showing for a state with students in the tens of thousands.

I am not a fan of the NRA, but the numpties have set the battle lines, so the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I joined, and made donations to both SAF, and GOA. NRA members alone are over 5 million, plus the NRA has grown over 500,000 members since this incident. I don't have numbers on SAF, or GOA. Except for liberal states this is turning into a cold nothing burger.

As a added note I think it is really bad for their movement when in a blue state like VA they draw such low numbers.

The following is from New York the bastion of liberalism, seems most students just don't care, except for the activists dancing in blood.

According to the Department of Education, attendance on Friday was 89.89 percent, down just slightly from Thursday’s attendance of 91.36 percent. But that number might not account for students who briefly left school to attend protests after the school day started.

https://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/ny/...of-nyc-schools-to-mark-columbine-anniversary/

Last edited:

JTHunter2

Met my brother and SiL for lunch today. They told me that one of the high schools in their area of north-central Illinois that the administration told the students they had a choice: they could go to the walk-out or go to their prom - but not both.
Sounds goo to me !!
:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Met my brother and SiL for lunch today. They told me that one of the high schools in their area of north-central Illinois that the administration told the students they had a choice: they could go to the walk-out or go to their prom - but not both.
Sounds goo to me !!
:lol:

THAT is a classic case of life is full of choices. Kudos to the administration.,,,:D...
icon14.png

CJ4wd

After viewing reports of a number of these "walkouts," I come away with certain impressions/conclusions:

1) - Their numbers were greatly exaggerated.
2) - Many students were well beyond the age of high school students.
3) - They are ignorant of or intentionally ignore the right to self defense.
4) - Their effects/goals will largely fail, in spite of media reports to the contrary, because the American people are less and less inclined to drink the Kool-Aid.

After the IGold rally in Springfield last week, I was reading some issues of "GunnNews" newspapers. I think it is put out by the group called "Guns Save Lives". In it was a picture and story about some "students" doing a walk-out. The teachers involved had NOT gotten permission from either the school officials OR from the parents and they should have had both. The kids were KINDERGARTENERS !! :exclaim:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
After the IGold rally in Springfield last week, I was reading some issues of "GunnNews" newspapers. I think it is put out by the group called "Guns Save Lives". In it was a picture and story about some "students" doing a walk-out. The teachers involved had NOT gotten permission from either the school officials OR from the parents and they should have had both. The kids were KINDERGARTENERS !! :exclaim:

"Guns Save Lives" group was likely The Firing Line forum:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Guns+Save+Lives+forum&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...The teachers involved had NOT gotten permission from either the school officials OR from the parents and they should have had both. The kids were KINDERGARTENERS !! :exclaim:

Please tell me this egregious act is going somewhere in SIGNIFICANT punishment/firings.