• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hardin County Water District #2

gutshot II

I was driving on Ring Road, the bypass round Elizabethtown, a week or two ago and, all of a sudden, I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I was passing a big building on my right and it must have been 60 or 70 yards off the road and I was driving 60 mph. I wasn't sure what I saw, but when I got to the next intersection, I stopped and turned around and went back. I pulled into the parking lot of the building and it was the District Office for Hardin County Water District #2. I looked at the front door and saw this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gl1eP_NkfOWACPkHfIJ5HkIXuHV3JmoF/view?usp=sharing

I couldn't believe it. When I got home I sent an open records request by email for any policies about guns. They refused to fill it, claiming that the statute requires USPS or fax(the statute was written before email was common). They were right, but they are the first ones to do this. What's the point? I just printed out the email, stuck it in an envelop and mailed it. Here is what I got in response(what we are interested in is on page #3 and page #7):https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KM15Gb7rO2oz1C_Trp0W1lDTOuKiiJBX/view?usp=sharing

I sent a email to the General Manager and since he was such an A$$ about the ORR, I was not as polite as I usually am. I am waiting on a response from their attorney. This should be fun. A water District is not a department of the county government. They are a "Special District" and they have a public commission that governs them. There is no "legislative body" of a water district and they are not empowered to pass laws, so they can not pass an ordinance to prohibit CC and can't ban OC. They can't do anything about guns, but I doubt that they know any of this. They are about to get an education. I intend to wait about a week then call the Manager to hear him cry. He will be outraged. What fun this will be!

The next day, I thought,"Well, what about Water District #1? I just copied my original email and replaced the #2 with a #1 and emailed it. Within 3 hours, I got a response telling me that they had no such policy and didn't expect to ever have one.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Sounds like you need to get the open records law fixed (to include any form of communication) in addition to your already Herculean workload on RKBA matters!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
No, the law is fine.
"They refused to fill it, claiming that the statute requires USPS or fax (the statute was written before email was common). They were right, but they are the first ones to do this." (my underlines)

That's what you call "fine"?

Well, I guess I can understand if you don't want to add to your workload...

Last edited:

gutshot II

"They refused to fill it, claiming that the statute requires USPS or fax (the statute was written before email was common). They were right, but they are the first ones to do this." (my underlines)

That's what you call "fine"?

Well, I guess I can understand if you don't want to add to your workload...

Yes, that is what I call fine. I have filed dozens of open records requests. Every one of them has been completed on a timely basis. Pushing the "PRINT" button and putting a piece of paper in an envelope is not a burden for me. The list of laws that I would like to see changed is long, but this one is not on that list.

I don't want to add trivia to my workload. I don't want to add useless minutiae to my workload. Changing laws can take years of hard work. If I did try to get that fixed, the first question that I would be asked is, "How many requests from you have been rejected because they were emailed". When I answered that only one had been rejected, and that one was completed two days later, do you know what kind of look I'd get? They would think that I had lost my mind.

Last edited:

gutshot II

Today, the Board of Commissioners for Hardin Co. Water District #2 met and discussed what to do about their firearms policies. I was there and answered all of their questions, which were about 7th grade level. They are completely ignorant of Ky. gun laws. They deferred any action untill their attorney could do some research and look over the statutes. I don't know what the Board of KC3 will do, yet. The Water Board has had this for over two weeks, how much time do they need? They don't seem to take this very seriously. Their next scheduled meeting is June 19.

MrFive7

... I was there and answered all of their questions, which were about 7th grade level. They are completely ignorant of Ky. gun laws. ...Their next scheduled meeting is June 19.

Sounds about right. Do you have a time for the meeting? Open to the public? I'll be there on the 19th if I'm not on the beach in Florida.

I've driven past that building hundreds of times and never noticed that sign. Good catch GS v2.0

gutshot II

Sounds about right. Do you have a time for the meeting? Open to the public? I'll be there on the 19th if I'm not on the beach in Florida.

I've driven past that building hundreds of times and never noticed that sign. Good catch GS v2.0

In Ky., all government meetings are open to the public, with a very few exceptions. The Board of Commissioners of the Hardin Co. Water District #2 meets the third Tuesday of each month at 4 pm in the conference room of their building on Ring Road. I doubt that I will be back for that meeting. KC3 gave them a chance to obey the law and they passed. I have nothing more to say to them and they could have little to say that would interest me. It is a long drive.

The sign is very hard to see from Ring Rd. I still don't know how I happened to see it, especially since I was driving 65 mph.

gutshot II

Hold the presses! New update! New update! Hard right turn!

This morning I got an email from Hardin County Water District #2. They said that after I left the meeting on Tuesday, the District's attorney decided to reread the statute and then decided that everything that I had told them was correct and they voted to rescind the "No Weapons" policy and remove the sign from the front door. The links below will allow you to see their new policy (firearms and weapons are not mentioned) and a new picture of the front door. You can compare both to the originals in the OP.

I am now out of work. I need help finding work. Anybody that knows of any possibly illegal gun signs, policies or ordinances let me know about them. We don't have to put up with this crap. Our laws are are very explicit and easily enforced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvylpjpwr854zq9/Policy%20006%20Updated%20Policy%20%281%29.pdf?dl =0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7xf4mr38m9n3ic/Updated%20Firearms%20Photo.jpg?dl=0