• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DERBY FESTIVAL IS UPON US

gutshot II

gutshot II

Friday night was the "balloon glow" at the Ky. State Fairgrounds. For those unfamiliar with the Derby Festival, there is a hot air balloon race every year. The night before the race, all of the balloons are inflated and lit up right at sundown. They don't leave the ground, but it is quite a sight. Most of these events are free, but require a "Pegasus Pin" to enter. The pin costs $6 and is good all Derby season. I arrived about 7 pm and was astonished by the size of the crowd and the traffic. I was OC my stanless 1911 in a cross draw rig. I placed my Pegasus Pin down low on my shirt, so that I would be asked where it was and I could direct their attention close to my firearm. I didn't want to deny anyone the privilege of viewing my beautiful firearm. I entered and walked around for 2 hours without any problems. Once sundown arrived and the ballons were lit, I left. It was getting dark and I don't think anybody could see my gun, anyway.

I decided to go downtown to the riverfront and hit the "Chow Wagon". This is all part of the Derby Festival. It's food and drinks, carnival rides and music all in one place and all free, with a Pegasus Pin. The place is pretty well lit up but again, I thought is was too dark to get any attention, so I left and went up river to the Big 4 Bridge and took a stroll across the river. I had several people stop me and ask it OC was legal and why I carried like that. A couple of "big eyes" but no negative reactions. 4 people stopped and thanked me for carrying and said they felt safer with me there.

Today, I went back to the "Chow Wagon" and walked around in the daylight. I stopped at a Ram Truck display and talked about trucks and got in and out of a couple of them, nobody mentioned my gun. Alittle further inside, one of the vendors ran out from his stand and asked if KY was an open carry state. He was from Illinois. We talked for about 10 mins. Much smaller crowd today than last night, but at least it was daylight. I saw a helicopter service offering rides up the river and over the city and wondered if they would object to my gun, but never tried to buy a ticket. There was a stand selling beer wine and mixed drinks and I decided to see if they would sell me a drink. No problem, just as they started to pour the drink, I stopped them. I haven't had a drink in over 12 years, so I told them I just wanted a Ginger Ale. He said that they didn't have Ginger Ale, but he knew an "old bartenders trick" to just mix 7 up and Coke to get Ginger Ale. He served it to me in a plastic cup with "Miller Lite" on it.It looked like a mixed drink and I walked around with it in my hand for an hour then decided to leave. Just as I started to leave, this guy came running up to me and said, "You can't take that beer out of here." I told him it wasn't a beer and turned to continue out. He jumped in front of me and got right up in my face and said, "well its a mixed drink then." I just stepped to the side and he jumped in front of me again. I told him it was just Ginger Ale and told him to smell it. He said, "Oh, I smell alcohol in there. You can't take it out." I told him I was going and he really got in my face then. I said that he'd better change his way of talking to people or somebody would "straighten him out" someday. Then I asked him for his name and he wouldn't give it. I pulled out my cell phone and started to take his picture and he ran off. I got the picture and went to the main entrance and asked to speak with the person in charge. Just as we started to talk, two LMPD officers walked up and took over. "We hear you threatened a guy over there." I said, "No, not at all and told them exactly what the conversation had been and told them they needed to leave me alone and go tell that other guy to learn how to talk to people." I suggested that they smell the drink, but they wern't interested in that. I told them that we should all go back to the stand where i bought it and ask the bartender what he put in it. They didn't want to do that either. Soon the cops were telling me how the conversation went and that they didn't like me carrying a gun and threatening people. I just told them that if they had some charges on me, cite me now, otherwise I was leaving. They told me to stop and said that I had threatened the other guy. I said, "let's all just go over to that table and sit down where we can all listen to a recording of what was said and by whom. It is all on this recorder right here." and I pulled out my voice recorder. Their demeaner changed immediately. Nobody ever listened to the recording, but just knowing that one existed was enough. All of a sudden they were very apologetic about the way I had been treated and said they were going to go "have a few words with the other guy''. I left with my gun and my "drink".

What's the take away from all of this. Well, in my mind, it is that when you record conversations, you get all of them, good, bad, ugly and maybe even embarrassing for you. Even the parts that you didn't expect to get when you started. Those cops knew that everything that they had said was on that recorder, too and they weren't too crazy about anybody hearing some of the things that they had said. If you carry a gun(OC or CC) you need to carry an audio recorder, at a minimum. You will never know what you might get on it. Video would be even better, but video recorders are hard to hide.

When I left the two cops were looking for the other guy. He had disappeared.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snippd--

You and I carry for the same reasons and enjoy stirring the pot - self defense and educating other people, LEOs included. I look for high exposure venues too. We are known for our conduct as well as our tools.

Yes a recorder is a good companion - keeps everyone honest.

Wstar425

On my Ruck March yesterday I talked to 3 St. Point officers while concealed, (cold), for about 20 minutes about K-9s. Then when on the walk itself I was open carry. Police were at road crossings stopping traffic, had to walk past within a couple of feet. It seemed like they were staring at me the entire time I was in sight, but nothing said. When I finished they were off doing more productive things.

No mention of firearm. Sig Scorpion colored outside a black vest, should have been easy to see. I could tell a couple noticed, but think mostly people didn’t even see it.

I’m not intentionally trying to “stir the pot”, but I don’t care if people notice and I enjoy talking to people even if they are against it.

I don’t carry a recorder, always think I will be as my phone but never remember. Guess I should. Good reminder of how things can happen.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Great report, gutshot!!

(especially the recorder part)

Regarding the LE interaction: it was a consensual conversation until you were told to stop - and at that point I would have insisted that the cops get their supervisor, then complained to him/her, then filed a formal complaint. That's BS.

solus

Since the august member from KY has, by his own admission, this member on ignore, perhaps someone might ask him why, since he has the nice LEs on recorder, he isn’t pursuing playing his discussion’s recording with LE agency IA investigators to formally propagate appropropate refresher training for those LEs and others, to facilitate & assure another KY citizen or visitor doesn’t have to endure this mistreatment in the furture?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Since the august member from KY has, by his own admission, this member on ignore, perhaps someone might ask him why, since he has the nice LEs on recorder, he isn’t pursuing playing his discussion’s recording with LE agency IA investigators to formally propagate appropropate refresher training for those LEs and others, to facilitate & assure another KY citizen or visitor doesn’t have to endure this mistreatment in the furture?

Save the last dance for me.

gutshot II

Great report, gutshot!!

Regarding the LE interaction: it was a consensual conversation until you were told to stop - and at that point I would have insisted that the cops get their supervisor, then complained to him/her, then filed a formal complaint. That's BS.

I was pushing for exactly what I got and don't consider any of this worth all of that BS. If anyone wants to file complaints for something like this, my suggestion is start your own incident and file your own complaint. You know what they say. If you want something done right, do it yourself. The Derby Festival will continue all this next week and will be there for any others that want to OC there and file such frivilous complaints. The Chow Wagon will be there, the mixed drink stand will be there, the cops will be there, the security personnel will be there, hell I'll probably be there some more this week. All that is missing is other people willing to push the envelop and file the complaints. My point was made and that was good enough for me. If it is not good enough for anyone else, go after it.

solus

Great report, gutshot!!

Alas BB62, it seems after the harangue & harassment of other forum members endured in the recent past of not doing due diligence to facilitate participation in pursuit of correcting 2A/firearm injustices to gutshot’s anticipated level of expectation(s), he himself is now saying no to follow through of what sounded like significant judicial intimidation and molestation, as it is beneath his status of changing violation(s) of citizen’s rights by facilitating rectification of those injustices when he is actively involved as well as has objective evidence to bring to those who are in a position to remedy those social injustices.

shame

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Alas BB62, it seems after the harangue & harassment of other forum members endured in the recent past of not doing due diligence to facilitate participation in pursuit of correcting 2A/firearm injustices to gutshot’s anticipated level of expectation(s), he himself is now saying no to follow through of what sounded like significant judicial intimidation and molestation, as it is beneath his status of changing violation(s) of citizen’s rights by facilitating rectification of those injustices when he is actively involved as well as has objective evidence to bring to those who are in a position to remedy those social injustices.

shame
This sounds like one of those do as I say, not say as I do standards of operation.

This was a perfect opportunity to call out two of Louisville's finest. A fleeting opportunity for a teaching moment extinguish.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

I was pushing for exactly what I got and don't consider any of this worth all of that BS. If anyone wants to file complaints for something like this, my suggestion is start your own incident and file your own complaint. You know what they say. If you want something done right, do it yourself. The Derby Festival will continue all this next week and will be there for any others that want to OC there and file such frivilous complaints. The Chow Wagon will be there, the mixed drink stand will be there, the cops will be there, the security personnel will be there, hell I'll probably be there some more this week. All that is missing is other people willing to push the envelop and file the complaints. My point was made and that was good enough for me. If it is not good enough for anyone else, go after it.
It's a "frivolous complaint" to object to being detained without a witness present? Did the cops make any move to get your accuser to where you were being detained?

What "point" did you make except that when one fortunate/forward thinking enough to have audio or video proof, one is okay, but if you're the poor unfortunate one to NOT have such evidence, what becomes of you? How long would your detention have lasted, or would you have been run through the "justice" system, if your batteries had died?

You, a well-seasoned individual, had a perfect opportunity to make them put up or shut up, to stand up so that such behavior wouldn't be applied to the less fortunate, and you folded.

Oh well...

gutshot II

It's a "frivolous complaint" to object to being detained without a witness present? Did the cops make any move to get your accuser to where you were being detained?

What "point" did you make except that when one fortunate/forward thinking enough to have audio or video proof, one is okay, but if you're the poor unfortunate one to NOT have such evidence, what becomes of you? How long would your detention have lasted, or would you have been run through the "justice" system, if your batteries had died?

You, a well-seasoned individual, had a perfect opportunity to make them put up or shut up, to stand up so that such behavior wouldn't be applied to the less fortunate, and you folded.

Oh well...

This sounds like one of those do as I say, not say as I do standards of operation.

This was a perfect opportunity to call out two of Louisville's finest. A fleeting opportunity for a teaching moment extinguish.

Great report, gutshot!!

I ask.. no I challenge any of the self appointed experts, naysayers and do it my way or else its wrong know it alls here to tell us all the exact, specific words or actions that I should have included in any "complaint" that you think should have been filed.

OK, it time to put up of shut up, fellas.

Last edited:

solus

I ask.. no I challenge any of the self appointed experts, naysayers and do it my way or else its wrong know it alls here to tell us all the exact, specific words or actions that I should have included in any "complaint" that you think should have been filed.

Well, gutshot, let’s rehash your tale;
1. you were subjected to unprovoked antagonistic harassment by a citizen;
2. then subjected to LEs responding to, in their perception of a potentially dangerous situation of a drunk, belligerent, old man with a gun! (presumably initiated by said citizen mentioned in 1.)
3. then your entire scanario was exacerbated by LEs who subjected you to criminal interrogation.

However, I keep forgetting you are ignoring me, so you are right that i shouldn’t care about the august KY citizen, but opportunties missed which might/could/would mitigate another citizen having to endure this kind of anguish is difficult to understand.

How did you articulate the sentiment in April, oh yes, quote:

[FONT=&quot]The people on this board are supposed to be the most dedicated open carry advocates in the country. If we are unwilling to fight tyranny, who will.
[/FONT]

unquote

But with LEs shooting first then asking questions is something I wouldn’t wish on anybody’s family to endure.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Posted by gutshot II

Well, gutshot, let’s rehash your tale;
1. you were subjected to unprovoked antagonistic harassment by a citizen;
2. then subjected to LEs responding to, in their perception of a potentially dangerous situation of a drunk, belligerent, old man with a gun! (presumably initiated by said citizen mentioned in 1.)
3. then your entire scanario was exacerbated by LEs who subjected you to criminal interrogation.

However, I keep forgetting you are ignoring me, so you are right that i shouldn’t care about the august KY citizen, but opportunties missed which might/could/would mitigate another citizen having to endure this kind of anguish is difficult to understand.

How did you articulate the sentiment in April, oh yes, quote:

[FONT=&quot]The people on this board are supposed to be the most dedicated open carry advocates in the country. If we are unwilling to fight tyranny, who will.
[/FONT]

unquote

But with LEs shooting first then asking questions is something I wouldn’t wish on anybody’s family to endure.
I don't think I could have said it any better.