• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Man, The Myth, The Legend: R. Lee Ermey Has Passed On

MontanaResident

I rewatched Full Metal Jacket a few months ago. Still a powerful movie, and R. Lee Ermey was amazing in the 1st half of the film. RIP Gunny!

JTHunter2

He was a real character. I enjoyed his show "GunnyTime" with all those oddball weapons they brought to show. Back in 2012, I had the pleasure to see and hear him at the NRA Annual meeting in St. Louis and he seemed to enjoy the crowd too.

HOO RAH !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
At one time user/registrants crossed the line all too frequently and it was determined that colored fonts attracted unfair attention to one post as being more important than others. Bear in mind that called decisions carry the same weight as the written rules.
--snipped--

Last edited:

solus

Of course Since9, et al., you are referring to the late Staff Sergeant Ermey correct?

HP995

I wish he had passed on FMJ; he did it well for his part, but it was a nasty propaganda movie with no love for the cause people died for.

solus

I wish he had passed on FMJ; he did it well for his part, but it was a nasty propaganda movie with no love for the cause people died for.

No conflict is just cause for our military members to lose their lives or their limbs over!

No matter what our government believes is just. Unless our shores or borders are attacked we should not concern our military with the issue.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No conflict is just cause for our military members to lose their lives or their limbs over!

No matter what our government believes is just. Unless our shores or borders are attacked we should not concern our military with the issue.
That's problematic - isolationism hasn't worked very well. Still I agree 'tis a high price to pay.

solus

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2018/05/02/countries-spending-the-most-on-war-3/

[FONT=&quot]For most of its history, the United States has been at war. Since declaring independence in 1776, the country has been engaged in armed conflicts for all but 21 out of the 242 years of its existence. This near-constant state of war has led the United States to continually update its military. As the world’s largest economy, the United States can afford to spend much more on its military than any other country.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]China has drastically increased the size and scale of its military over the last decade. It has more than doubled its annual military expenditure in that time, spending $228 billion in 2017. Still, China’s budget is less than half the military budget of the United States. The U.S. government spent $610 billion on its armed forces in 2017, more than the next seven countries combined[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

HP995

It's easy to be a tool. But we need thinkers, not tools of propagandists. Don't take the promoted message uncritically as the true motive, examine it carefully. You can't rely on cites for everything. Sometimes in life you need two eyes open and many gray cells firing, analyzing things for yourself! Movies are like sermons, packed with moralizing messages.

BTW, so can we just compare those two numbers, US and China spending, and have an accurate perception of the balance and maybe the threat or lack of it? Interesting! And should we maybe tone down our military efforts a bit now, after seeing those numbers? Interesting! Can we safely ignore any situation outside of a direct attack on our soil? (Not saying every past intervention has been wise.) Again, interesting!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
True: North Korea is isolationist.

Non-interventionism into other countries' business is not "isolationism".

Would seem others disagree:

"Non-interventionism, the diplomatic policy whereby a nation seeks to avoid alliances with other nations in order to avoid being drawn into wars not related to direct territorial self-defense, has had a long history of popularity in the government and among the people of the United States at various periods in time."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_non-interventionism

Last edited:

gutshot II

Would seem others disagree:

"Non-interventionism, the diplomatic policy whereby a nation seeks to avoid alliances with other nations in order to avoid being drawn into wars not related to direct territorial self-defense, has had a long history of popularity in the government and among the people of the United States at various periods in time."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_non-interventionism

I can find nothing in the referencred material that would equate isolationism with non-interventionism

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Words have meanings and there are standards that are easily understood - Webster's et al.

KBCraig

Words have meanings and there are standards that are easily understood - Webster's et al.

Yes, and the term "non-intervention" does not mean "isolationist".

It's not difficult to understand the difference. Thomas Jefferson certainly nailed it: "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."