• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9mm - Deadly out to at LEAST 440 Yards

since9

Campaign Veteran
This very interesting video demonstrates that your standard 9mm round remains deadly out to at least 440 yards (quarter mile), "Certainly further than you can aim it."

Even at 440 yards, the 9mm penetrated 3/4" plywood and the 2x4 post holding it, as well as at least 9" of ballistics gel.

Good things to keep in mind, not only if you need to take a distant shot (consider using a rest!) , as well for reasons of backstop safety!

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
This very interesting video demonstrates that your standard 9mm round remains deadly out to at least 440 yards (quarter mile), "Certainly further than you can aim it."

Even at 440 yards, the 9mm penetrated 3/4" plywood and the 2x4 post holding it, as well as at least 9" of ballistics gel.

Good things to keep in mind, not only if you need to take a distant shot (consider using a rest!) , as well for reasons of backstop safety!
Fascinating and illuminating. Thank you!

gutshot II

It just followed the curvature of the earth. ;)

Oh, it never came down then, right? That must be some HIGH-VELOCITY ammo.

When I was a kid, I remember every box of 22 lr ammo I bought had printed on the box, "Range- one mile, Be Careful". Now, I know we are talking about actually hitting something and useful penetration here, but it is not too surprising that it a 9mm (not a .22) would perform like that at 1/4 mile. Now the shooter performing his part is surprising.