• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

John Lott has a lot to say about gun control

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are lies and damn lies.

"Posted April 3, 2018: An article at Vox has gained attention for illustrating America’s “unique gun violence problem” in 17 maps and charts. Below, we will respond to the individual graphs below on Vox’s terms. But there are a lot of assumptions behind Vox’s graphs. Often, just one or two public health studies are cited to make a particular point, without discussing any of the known weaknesses with these studies. It would also be valuable for Vox to acknowledge and critique research that reaches the opposite conclusions."

"Economists focus on the notion of substitution. If you take away guns, people might commit suicides or murders in other ways. It is total deaths that need to concern everyone. Vox focuses exclusively on gun deaths without looking at the larger picture."

https://tinyurl.com/y8knk9jw

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
"Economists focus on the notion of substitution. If you take away guns, people might commit suicides or murders in other ways. It is total deaths that need to concern everyone. Vox focuses exclusively on gun deaths without looking at the larger picture."

Piers Morgan's very annoying anti-gun rants did precisely the same thing. He touted the UK's double-digit handgun murders while avoiding "violent crimes" as the larger, all-encompassing category.

In fact, when the UK banned most private ownership of firearms, their violent crime rate tripled. It remains 2.74 times higher than it was before their ban.

Piers Morgan is either a blithering idiot or he intentionally chose to ignore that fact in his agenda push.

MamaLiberty

The lust to control the lives and property of other people is the ROOT of all evil.

The lust to control the lives and property of other people is the ROOT of all evil.

And nobody is getting out of this world alive anyway. The actual death toll from all causes is 100%

We can choose how we live... and usually how we die. Nobody else's business.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

And nobody is getting out of this world alive anyway. The actual death toll from all causes is 100%

We can choose how we live... and usually how we die. Nobody else's business.

When I am no longer capable/able to take care of myself, give me a blanket and leave me on a mountain top in the peak of the winter.

Remember the good words and deeds to which I may have contributed, rather than who was behind that effort.