• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SAFETY bulletin on S&W 308 SHIELD EZ Thumb owners

solus

CONSUMER ADVISORY

To: M&P® 380 SHIELD™ EZ™ Manual Thumb Safety Owners

SPRINGFIELD, MA ‐ Like any firearm, the function of the M&P 380 Shield EZ Manual Thumb Safety pistol can be influenced by the type and quality of ammunition used with the pistol. In the case of the M&P 380 Shield EZ Manual Thumb Safety, we have found that in very rare circumstances, ammunition that produces a high level of felt recoil can cause the manual safety to move from the fire to the "safety on" position during firing. Should this occur, you will not be able to fire the next round unless and until the manual safety is reset to the fire position.

At Smith & Wesson, we are committed to designing and producing firearms that meet the highest quality and performance standards. To ensure that every Smith & Wesson handgun meets our standards for reliability and performance, as of April 4, 2018, we have engineered the manual safety so that it will be less susceptible to the influence of ammunition weight, velocity and loads. Any M&P 380 Shield EZ Manual Thumb Safety pistol produced before April 4, is eligible for a no‐cost upgrade. To determine if this consumer advisory applies to your pistol, please utilize our serial number verification tool on our consumer advisory page. Click here to navigate to that page.

If your pistol is subject to this advisory, please call Smith & Wesson at 1‐800‐331‐0852 or email us at MP380EZAdvisory@Smith‐Wesson.com. A FedEx return label and shipping instructions to facilitate the return of your M&P 380 Shield EZ pistol will be mailed to you promptly. If you have any questions, you may call 1‐800‐331‐0852 for more information.

WARNING: READ AND FOLLOW THE WARNINGS IN YOUR OWNER’S MANUAL. NEVER USE "PLUS‐P" (+P), "PLUS‐P‐PLUS" (+P+); OR RELOADED AMMUNITION WITH THE M&P 380 EZ. ALWAYS USE FACTORY MANUFACTURED AMMUNITION PRODUCED TO SAAMI SPECIFICATIONS.

Last edited:

echofiveniner

Thanks for the heads up, these seem little interesting little guns. I'm glad S&W jumped out ahead of this.

IdahoBangBang

I think I'll avoid the M&P's ... I've seen too many fail to loads and that sort of thing with them when watching other people shoot. Perhaps my exposure has not been great enough, but .... hmmmmmm

Brian

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I think I'll avoid the M&P's ... I've seen too many fail to loads and that sort of thing with them when watching other people shoot. Perhaps my exposure has not been great enough, but .... hmmmmmm

Brian
http://www.Level9BFirearmsTraining.com Star, Idaho
Really?????? All M&Ps. Or are you attempting to sell your services? Your default page is not very inviting.

IdahoBangBang

Really?????? All M&Ps. Or are you attempting to sell your services? Your default page is not very inviting.
Yeah sorry ... I edited out the link (and yes, it's an ugly website for now - until our new one gets put up ... just a placeholder, really). It's my cut and past sig. In any case, I can't say about all M&P's. They're very popular, so I expected to see zero problems. In two cases, I watched another instructor fire the weapons and they both had fail-to-feed issues. I got the impression, as with a Kahr PM9 that I used to have, that certain bullet shapes were likely not compatible with the feed ramp or something related. Either way, I just reported what I saw. Take it for what it is. No offense meant to anyone or any gun.

Brian

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Yeah sorry ... I edited out the link (and yes, it's an ugly website for now - until our new one gets put up ... just a placeholder, really). It's my cut and past sig. In any case, I can't say about all M&P's. They're very popular, so I expected to see zero problems. In two cases, I watched another instructor fire the weapons and they both had fail-to-feed issues. I got the impression, as with a Kahr PM9 that I used to have, that certain bullet shapes were likely not compatible with the feed ramp or something related. Either way, I just reported what I saw. Take it for what it is. No offense meant to anyone or any gun.

Brian
"the weapons" What weapons? The S&W 380 shield?

IdahoBangBang

"the weapons" What weapons? The S&W 380 shield?

My bad ... I called guns 'weapons' all my life and still slip up now and then. A weapon is an offensive tool. Gun, firearm, sidearm etc ... much more accurate and those terms do not imply any type of usage whether you're fighting a war or protecting yourself from someone who would do you harm. :(

Brian