• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Patriots Day Rally at the Ohio Statehouse 4/21

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You are cordially invited to a rally for Patriotism and Freedom hosted by Ohioans for Concealed Carry, Ohio Carry, and Buckeye Firearms Association on Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 11 a.m. at the Ohio Statehouse, One Capitol Square in Columbus.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I won't be going.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry is what they promote, conceal carry. Buckeye Firearms Association is OFCC's rival gun group. BFA's arm was twisted and shamed into promoting it. They also don't like open carry. Both groups are snobs. With both groups, if you are not part of the inner circle your opinion doesn't count. BFA just ignores its rank and file. OFCC will ban anybody that won't toe the official line; even if the official line is contrary to law.

Ohio Carry is a small open carry group and is an OK group. They did promote a March 10th. gun rally at the capital that got a 1,500 person turnout. Ohio Gun Owners also promoted the March 10th. rally. They are a hard nose gun rights org.

Now to be fair, OFCC has won a couple of lawsuits. But, in my humble opinion, were slam dunks.

Just letting you know the lay of the land in Ohio.

There is also a couple of campus carry groups that focus specifically on college carry. One of which one of our members here operates. Quite successfully I may add.

JustaShooter

With all due respect, your personal issues with the organization aside, that is a considerable mischaracterization of OFCC and is arguably a violation of forum rules.
OFCC supports all forms of carry, whether openly or concealed.
OFCC has and continues to use open carry walks and rallys to promote gun rights in Ohio. OFCC has and continues to fight for removal of all restrictions on our right to keep and bear arms in Ohio, and actively works with Ohio's legislators to promote legislation that achieves those goals and to oppose legislation that restricts those rights. And, as you mentioned (though I disagree with your characterization that they were "slam dunks") OFCC takes municipalities to court when they are unwilling to adhere to Ohio law, regardless of whether the offending rule or ordinance restricts open or concealed carry or any other violation of Ohio's firearm law preemption statute.

solus

quote:
Philosophy | What We're About
What We're About
Jeff Garvas Published Date

We are about freedom. We are an advocate for all firearms related rights.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry, founded in 1999, is a grassroots political activist organization. When founded, the primary goal of OFCC was getting concealed carry passed into law in Ohio. With that accomplished, our mission became to refine the concealed carry law and to expand and preserve the rights of all gun owners in Ohio.

OC subforum

Topic locked
1 post • Page 1 of 1
What this specific forum is for and what its not for
Postby jgarvas » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:01 pm

This forum was created because the topic of carrying openly, and discussions surrounding the legality of carrying openly have increased since the passage of HB347. It is my personal opinion that nothing in Ohio Revised Code prohibits you from carrying openly in general, except for those provisions where carrying a firearm is prohibited entirely, or in a motor vehicle without a license to carry concealed.

It is also my opinion that carrying openly in and of itself alone does not meet the criminal definition of inciting a riot, disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, or other common threats. Since the inception of HB347 no local ordinance that would otherwise prohibit openly carrying a firearm (by someone who is lawfully permitted to possess that firearm) shouldn't be enforceable either.

With that said I do not believe that openly carrying as a way of life or a method of every day carry provides anyone with a tactical self-defense advantage. I also believe that it will increase your odds of regularly being in contact with the local police.

This forum was created to discuss this issue in a professional manner and we will enforce the rules here if discussions get out of hand or off topic.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Hummm, ya know justashooter, doesn't seem very friendly or hands on environment for OC'g...

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
With all due respect, your personal issues with the organization aside, that is a considerable mischaracterization of OFCC and is arguably a violation of forum rules.
OFCC supports all forms of carry, whether openly or concealed.
OFCC has and continues to use open carry walks and rallys to promote gun rights in Ohio. OFCC has and continues to fight for removal of all restrictions on our right to keep and bear arms in Ohio, and actively works with Ohio's legislators to promote legislation that achieves those goals and to oppose legislation that restricts those rights. And, as you mentioned (though I disagree with your characterization that they were "slam dunks") OFCC takes municipalities to court when they are unwilling to adhere to Ohio law, regardless of whether the offending rule or ordinance restricts open or concealed carry or any other violation of Ohio's firearm law preemption statute.
Disagree or say anything negative with/about OFCC and you will be attacked. Thank you for proving my point.

Using a right to demand a privilege is the very definition of idiocracy.

JustaShooter

Disagree or say anything negative with/about OFCC and you will be attacked. Thank you for proving my point.

Using a right to demand a privilege is the very definition of idiocracy.

Please point out where I attacked you. I challenged your characterization of OFCC, nothing more. I understand you feel like you were treated unfairly by OFCC, but your personal issues are just that, personal issues with the organization.

JustaShooter

quote:
Philosophy | What We're About
What We're About
Jeff Garvas Published Date

We are about freedom. We are an advocate for all firearms related rights.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry, founded in 1999, is a grassroots political activist organization. When founded, the primary goal of OFCC was getting concealed carry passed into law in Ohio. With that accomplished, our mission became to refine the concealed carry law and to expand and preserve the rights of all gun owners in Ohio.

OC subforum

Topic locked
1 post • Page 1 of 1
What this specific forum is for and what its not for
Postby jgarvas » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:01 pm

This forum was created because the topic of carrying openly, and discussions surrounding the legality of carrying openly have increased since the passage of HB347. It is my personal opinion that nothing in Ohio Revised Code prohibits you from carrying openly in general, except for those provisions where carrying a firearm is prohibited entirely, or in a motor vehicle without a license to carry concealed.

It is also my opinion that carrying openly in and of itself alone does not meet the criminal definition of inciting a riot, disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, or other common threats. Since the inception of HB347 no local ordinance that would otherwise prohibit openly carrying a firearm (by someone who is lawfully permitted to possess that firearm) shouldn't be enforceable either.

With that said I do not believe that openly carrying as a way of life or a method of every day carry provides anyone with a tactical self-defense advantage. I also believe that it will increase your odds of regularly being in contact with the local police.

This forum was created to discuss this issue in a professional manner and we will enforce the rules here if discussions get out of hand or off topic.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Hummm, ya know justashooter, doesn't seem very friendly or hands on environment for OC'g...

You neglected to highlight several other areas of that decade-old post that did not support your conclusion, and you also failed to take into account anything other than that single post. OFCC is not anti-OC, and is not unfriendly to OC. At least three coordinators and one board member regularly open carry and advocate for it.

If you believe differently, perhaps you can cite an example where the organization has opposed open carry in some tangible way.

solus

You neglected to highlight several other areas of that decade-old post that did not support your conclusion, and you also failed to take into account anything other than that single post. OFCC is not anti-OC, and is not unfriendly to OC. At least three coordinators and one board member regularly open carry and advocate for it.

If you believe differently, perhaps you can cite an example where the organization has opposed open carry in some tangible way.

Sorry JustaShooter, if your beloved OFCC president fails to update:

1.Forum's purpose statement!
2.His decade olde intro espousing his personal biased BS opinion into HIS forum's open carry sub-forum!

isn't my problem, but it is a perception your beloved OFCC forum is presenting to his member's as well as his public guests!

I personally, recommend you bring up your concerns to the forum's president, huh!

12K members, and you mention 3, oh ya JustaShooter that shows the such a proper attitude towards OC! (truly, that was the best you could muster was 3~really, can't tell you how much I needed that chuckle, nawlll belly laugh!)

Last edited:

JustaShooter

Sorry JustaShooter, if your beloved OFCC president fails to update:

1.Forum's purpose statement!
2.His decade olde intro espousing his personal biased BS opinion into HIS forum's open carry sub-forum!

isn't my problem, but it is a perception your beloved OFCC forum is presenting to his member's as well as his public guests!

I personally, recommend you bring up your concerns to the forum's president, huh!

12K members, and you mention 3, oh ya JustaShooter that shows the such a proper attitude towards OC! (truly, that was the best you could muster was 3~really, can't tell you how much I needed that chuckle, nawlll belly laugh!)

Yes, OFCC was formed to get concealed carry passed in Ohio. And once that was achieved, our goal has been (to quote the very post you selectively highlighted) "to refine the concealed carry law and to expand and preserve the rights of all gun owners in Ohio."

You'll also note from the same post, "We are an advocate for all firearms related rights."

No, the president is not an advocate for open carry, but he is also *not* anti-open carry.

The reason we are still OFCC is in part because of the recognition the name carries and the past successes the organization has achieved.

As to the 4 open-carry advocates I mentioned, that is simply those I know of on the board of directors and coordinators - there could be more. I do not know how many of the 12k forum members OC or are advocates, my point was that OC is favorably represented in the leadership. Further, *none* of the board of directors and coordinators are anti-open carry to the best of my knowledge.

solus

Yes, OFCC was formed to get concealed carry passed in Ohio. And once that was achieved, our goal has been (to quote the very post you selectively highlighted) "to refine the concealed carry law and to expand and preserve the rights of all gun owners in Ohio."

You'll also note from the same post, "We are an advocate for all firearms related rights."

No, the president is not an advocate for open carry, but he is also *not* anti-open carry.

The reason we are still OFCC is in part because of the recognition the name carries and the past successes the organization has achieved.

As to the 4 open-carry advocates I mentioned, that is simply those I know of on the board of directors and coordinators - there could be more. I do not know how many of the 12k forum members OC or are advocates, my point was that OC is favorably represented in the leadership. Further, *none* of the board of directors and coordinators are anti-open carry to the best of my knowledge.

I am so sorry JustaShooter, but the jukebox needs more quarters so your dance is finished for this partner, especially since you are doing nothing but tripping all over your own words.

Last edited: