• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are crossbows good for self defense?

WalkingWolf

Crossbow? IMO no, they are basically single shot. If a person only has one home invader they might do the job, but don't miss. On the other hand a bow is an excellent choice for HD, so much so that I do infact keep a 45# bow strung with 6 arrows with broad heads at the ready. When weather is nice I practice daily, and I can hit a paper plate at 15 yards instinctive shooting at a good pace, three arrows in less than 10 seconds. The bow is my primary HD weapon, the arrows are only a danger to the invader, they will not go through several walls like bullets. They also do not cause harm to the hearing, though they do make a noise, but will not be heard outside the house.

The disadvantage is they are cumbersome inside a home, a person needs to practice inside the home or a tight space like a garage to get used to shooting from confines. This means a very low weight bow, and arrows with shock tips to lower chance of damage. A good sized carboard box stuffed with rags, or a good sized piece of plywood using a shock tip designed to only impact not penetrate. These are sold to archery gamers that participate in competitions like paintball. Do not do the in home shooting until shooting outdoors has become proficient, consistent, and accurate. Even a nerf arrow can do property damage if it goes wild.

My bows are PVC, and fiberglass rod bows, DIY. They can be left strung without worry, I have only lost in each about 5# draw from them, after that they maintain their draw weight. They are not fast enough for hunting, but some people use them, I get about 140fps with a 400 grain arrow. That is less than the 200 to 400fps of a compound bow, depending on the cost of the bow.

IMO a crossbow would be even more cumbersome in a home since the limbs outstretch horizontally instead of vertically.

These are the arrows to use for indoors.

618p2WMo4JL._SL1000_.jpg

WalkingWolf

I have suffered the concussion from a shotgun blast in a hospital ER. Without hearing protection even in the more open ER the ringing of the ears was intense. I can't imagine what it would be like in a 20 X 20 ft room. For using firearms for home defense keep hearing protection WITH the firearm. If not a person will be stunned the same way a flash grenade stuns, making any firearm probably a one shot weapon. I can't stress this enough. I keep both a set of sound suppressive ear plugs as well as shop ear muffs in the same drawer with my GP100 for both of us.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I own a couple different crossbows having hunted with them and taken several head of big game.

They are fairly heavy slow to cock and reload but very accurate would be a pain to use inside the house.

A lot of the manufactures recommend that you don't leave them cock for an extended time.

Wouldn't even make a very good club.

Would they be better than no distance type weapon yes but far from my first choice.

There is a reason firearms came to dominate as the best personnel weapons.

WalkingWolf

WOW!!

What was the circumstance?

Man came in with a single shot shotgun covered in a blanket through the ER doors. As soon as he was in he uncovered the shotgun, and pointed it at me. I sought cover around a corner pillar, but a old man jumped him from behind, and the gun went off. Nobody got hurt, and he ended up in the nut ward.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Many vertical limb crossbows are available.
https://bowgrid.com/sas-in-line-mini-vertical-crossbow-review/

Also available is a mini, easy cock 80# crossbow pistol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5847wtGNGVY

This guy shoots at about the same rate I do, not as fast as a pistol, but beats the heck out of a cross bow. I do not use a arrow quiver though, I hold six arrows in my left hand with the bow, it is faster than drawing from a quiver. I can shoot a couple dozen arrows in the time it takes him to put his crossbow together, and get one shot off. I used a stop watch, and if I really push it from the first arrow to the last I can do 6 in 12 seconds, but that results in losing considerable accuracy, though I can still put them all on a silhouette target. I normally shoot 1 arrow every 3 seconds, I hold 3 for practice, but can hold six without issues of control.

[video=youtube;GqLyTc4Jd58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqLyTc4Jd58[/video]

I timed him for six arrows, he is right about 3 seconds per arrow from the first, 6 in 18 seconds. He could shoot faster if he used the technique that Mongolians, and native Americans used by holding arrows in the bow hand. Speed can also be increased by going to 2 vane fletching, it makes nocking faster.

Last edited:

JTHunter2

The only way that a crossbow could be used for self-defense would most likely be in a SHTF situation. The wide, cumbersome nature of most crossbows, would make them difficult to use indoors. For instance, you can stick your head around a corner far enough to clear one eye and your hand and pistol while the rest of you is protected behind the wall. Try doing that with a crossbow!
However, in the aforementioned SHTF situation, if you are outdoors and some vandal is on your property, you might be able to incapacitate them without them hearing or seeing you until it is too late. It also would not be as likely to alert others to your location due to low noise.

Just thinkin'. :idea:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The only way that a crossbow could be used for self-defense would most likely be in a SHTF situation. The wide, cumbersome nature of most crossbows, would make them difficult to use indoors. For instance, you can stick your head around a corner far enough to clear one eye and your hand and pistol while the rest of you is protected behind the wall. Try doing that with a crossbow!
However, in the aforementioned SHTF situation, if you are outdoors and some vandal is on your property, you might be able to incapacitate them without them hearing or seeing you until it is too late. It also would not be as likely to alert others to your location due to low noise.

Just thinkin'. :idea:
This issue is responded to in post 5 above.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Interesting bows but I would be willing to bet that they are still slower to load for a second shot than even a BP rifle, flintlock OR percussion cap.
As stated in the OP, it is my opinion that they are better than relying solely on empty hand techniques.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Interesting bows but I would be willing to bet that they are still slower to load for a second shot than even a BP rifle, flintlock OR percussion cap.

Depends on the model. A good friend has a model I could easily reload in 5 seconds. How does that compare to a BP rifle, flintlock, or percussion cap?