• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fleming Co. Preemption Violations

gutshot II

KC3 got reports of "No Guns" signs on county-owned buildings in Flemingsburg. After considerable effort (its a long way from where I live) I finally got pictures from a local. Here is one from the county courthouse that contains no courtrooms:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UbF2FBRLJ3FItJFSbrr3__gv9UcYoV_t/view?usp=sharing

That sign is illegal no matter what steps the county has taken to post it because in prohibits open carry as well as concealed carry. It is hard to argue that a policy is incorrect unless you know exactly what the policy is. Just to find out how bad they had stepped in it, I sent an open records request to the County Clerk asking for any ordinances that deal with the possession of firearms. In about 3 hours, I got a response from the Clerk, personally that, "No such records exist", which is the proper response when no records exist. Often, I get suff like, "we can't find any" or crap like that. That is meaningless. You either have them and you can find them or you don't have them. If you look and can't find one, you should have sufficient confidence in your search that you can say "No such records exist". What good is a county ordinance that you can't find? What kind of records keeping is that? How would you like those people to handle your paycheck? Anyway, about two hours later I get an email from a woman who calls herself a Fiscal Court Clerk. How that differes from a County Clerk I don't know, but anyway she has found the minutes of a Fiscal Court meeting in 2002 that mentions a vote to put up "No Gun" signs. Apparently, one way that a Fiscal Court Clerk differs from a County Clerk is that the Fiscal Court Clerk is more through than her boss. What she found is not an ordinance, not a regulation, not a rule, not an order, it's nothing, just a vote and they spent $85 for signs. This is typical for rural KY.
I have sent an email to the County Judge/Executive. It should be very interesting to hear what he has to say. I hope he turns this over to the County Attorney. At least then, there is a chance that he will know a little about what he is talking about. This should be fun.

Last edited: