• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I have been thinking about open carry, but still undecided due to social pressure.

richbuff

"local neighborhood meeting hall" is a building that was a church, ranch style architecture, that is now used for community get togethers.

My observations: CC: "Oh my God, you have a gun! Why?" This is what I have to deal with, from friends and family, CC.

Also, very very few people OC in town. It is a sight very very rarely seen.
I am going to have to prepare for heightened exclamatory responses from friends and family when I decide to OC.

Thanks Wstar425, for some brief high points that you made: It is not political statement, it is for your safety here and now, it is for you to be more comfortable. Keep answers brief and simple.
And importantly: The person carrying avoids argument, avoids instigation, avoids acceleration, avoids disturbing any social situation.

I want to OC for one reason: To make it quicker to draw in the face of an ambush threat, to increase my odds of prevailing in stopping the threat, to defend myself from threat of loss of life or limb.

If I am more comfortable with my defense response by going from CC to OC, and other people are less comfortable as a result, so be it.

I might transition in phases: OC when walking daily six brisk hilly miles down the street, then transition further gradually in a few weeks.

echofiveniner

Open carrying for the first time can be quite the experience, but then you realize no one pays enough attention to notice anyway. I would say carry a gun for four legged but also carry an alternative if possible. I used a lot of animal repellant when idid repo and it was always a better choice than a gun. Plus its easier to aim at a rapidly moving animal.

OC4me

I open carried a smaller .380 when I first started as a means of getting the family used to it. Later I moved up to a full-sized. It doesn't hurt to dress nicely either, don't look like a slob.

Although I didn't feel the need personally, if you really want to incrementally transition from concealed to open carry, you can start with an inside the waistband holster (so only the grip is exposed) and move on from there.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I open carried a smaller .380 when I first started as a means of getting the family used to it. Later I moved up to a full-sized. It doesn't hurt to dress nicely either, don't look like a slob.

Although I didn't feel the need personally, if you really want to incrementally transition from concealed to open carry, you can start with an inside the waistband holster (so only the grip is exposed) and move on from there.
Is this attire acceptable?
Frito%2BBandido.jpg

gutshot II

...snip.

Maybe we should all submit our picture to you and you can vet us all and determine which of us is acceptable to OC and which have been rejected. I am now concerned that my 50+ years of OC may have been injurious to "the movement" (which wasn't a movement when I started, just normal carry) because I may not have been dressing neatly enough. I used to wear "overhauls" and brogan work shoes when I worked on my father's farm. Would that be neat enough for your consent to OC? Oh no! I just realized my shoes are not shined, I'd better get to work.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Maybe we should all submit our picture to you and you can vet us all and determine which of us is acceptable to OC and which have been rejected. I am now concerned that my 50+ years of OC may have been injurious to "the movement" (which wasn't a movement when I started, just normal carry) because I may not have been dressing neatly enough. I used to wear "overhauls" and brogan work shoes when I worked on my father's farm. Would that be neat enough for your consent to OC? Oh no! I just realized my shoes are not shined, I'd better get to work.
Other than military, perfectly polished shoes usually gives me doubt as to the persons sincerity.

OC4me

I open carried a smaller .380 when I first started as a means of getting the family used to it. Later I moved up to a full-sized. It doesn't hurt to dress nicely either, don't look like GutShot.

There I fixed it for you! Happy now?

Last edited:

gutshot II

I open carried a smaller .380 when I first started as a means of getting the family used to it. Later I moved up to a full-sized. It doesn't hurt to dress nicely either, don't look like GutShot.

There I fixed it for you! Happy now?

No, not fixed yet. Here, let me help you read it. It's gutshot II. The Roman numeral II and lower case. No ugly upper case letters in my name, please. Believe me, many, many men would love to dress as well and look as good as gutshot II. Most are in awe of the very presence of my splendor.

OC4me, you seem to be one of those "do it my way or you're wrong" types. I think I'll do it my way and let everybody else do it however they please. I don't care how anybody looks or how anybody dresses. I just want them to OC.

solus

A lot depends one where you are standing when you say that....and where you are looking.....:lol:

zoot suit not withstanding

gutshots II garters are a nice touch...oh wait which left am i supposed to be looking?

OC4me

No, not fixed yet. Here, let me help you read it. It's gutshot II. The Roman numeral II and lower case. No ugly upper case letters in my name, please. Believe me, many, many men would love to dress as well and look as good as gutshot II. Most are in awe of the very presence of my splendor.

OC4me, you seem to be one of those "do it my way or you're wrong" types. I think I'll do it my way and let everybody else do it however they please. I don't care how anybody looks or how anybody dresses. I just want them to OC.

Some assume too much, come to the blackest conclusion and then get all indignant about it. Chill out, man!

richbuff

Training is always ongoing, but I reached a milestone this morning. On my usual residential neighborhood walking route that I have kept daily for two years, where everyone knows me, occurred my first OC police stop. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, so in addition to taking the usual carry training class, I read up on all the do's and don'ts of police contact while OC. The police contact was textbook brief, to the point and friendly. They informed me that someone called in a man walking on the street with a pistol observable in his waistband, so they were doing just a quick check and see. So, I guess police contacts while OC in Prescott are report driven.