• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sarasota man arrested for bringing gun into school

hammer6

yeah, against the law. i'm just confused how someone is perfectly legal and authorized to carry a weapon off campus, but as soon as he crosses an imaginary line he becomes a criminal. this is a violation of rights. and it's evident that it's a violation because the florida legislature just stated as fact that having a gun on campus makes you safer from possible harm.

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/crime/article205355069.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
yeah, against the law. i'm just confused how someone is perfectly legal and authorized to carry a weapon off campus, but as soon as he crosses an imaginary line he becomes a criminal. this is a violation of rights. and it's evident that it's a violation because the florida legislature just stated as fact that having a gun on campus makes you safer from possible harm.

Link please on "Florida legislature" in content noted above.

gutshot II

yeah, against the law. ,i'm just confused how someone is perfectly legal and authorized to carry a weapon off campus, but as soon as he crosses an imaginary line he becomes a criminal. this is a violation of rights. and it's evident that it's a violation because the florida legislature just stated as fact that having a gun on campus makes you safer from possible harm.

I'll try to help clear this up for you. It is a lot like you not being a bank robber until you rob a bank, then you are one.

Fallschirjmäger

I think his point was the 'imaginary line'. One does not automatically become a bank robber merely by stepping onto bank owned property nor by crossing over the bank's threshold.

echofiveniner

I don't like the law but I don't feel bad for him. The law is very clear on what's acceptable and this guy should know the law. The classic line law abiding gun owners means we have to abide by the law and try our hardest to change it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't like the law but I don't feel bad for him. The law is very clear on what's acceptable and this guy should know the law. The classic line law abiding gun owners means we have to abide by the law and try our hardest to change it.
The four boxes of liberty:
....Soap box.
........Ballot box.
............Jury box.
................Ammo box.

Then of course there is our Forum Rule #15.

gutshot II

I think his point was the 'imaginary line'. One does not automatically become a bank robber merely by stepping onto bank owned property nor by crossing over the bank's threshold.

No, my point was that when you break the law is when you become a criminal. The violation can be almost anything depending on the wording of the law. It is your resposibility to know the law and stay within it. If you "cross over the bank's threshold" with guns, burglery tools, explosives and equipment with which you can take hostages, I would not be surprised when you were charged with a crime. If you take a gun onto school property in a state where that is illegal there is a good chance that you will be charged with a crime, especially if you are foolish enough to take the gun out of your car and stick it in your belt in a public location in front of the school.

I don't know about Florida, but most states make it a crime to "cross the threshold" of a courtroom or "stepping onto" property of a prison while armed. It is really not unusual.

OC Freedom

The only ones violating the law were the deputies and state. The supreme law of the land is the Constitution and nowhere did I read in Amendment two that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed except for being on public school property. I have never read anything that follows "shall not be infringed." Exceptions are not listed in the 2nd Amendment when it comes to possessing and bearing arms, so any law made that restricts those two things are null and void. So the federal government and states are violating the law, not this guy. Put me on the jury and it will be "not guilty."

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” (Marbury vs.Madison, 1803.)

“Every law consistent with the Constitution will have been made in pursuance of the powers granted by it. Every usurpation or law repugnant to it cannot have been made in pursuance of its powers. The latter will be nugatory and void.” (Thomas Jefferson.)

“There is no position which depends on clearer principles than that every act of a delegated authority, contrary to the commission under which it is exercised, is void. No legislative act, therefore, contrary to the Constitution, can be valid.” (Alexander Hamilton.)

Last edited: