• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Owensboro caves to KC3's demand that they obey the law

gutshot II

A KC3 member sent a link to a website for the Owensboro Skate Park. Here is the link:

https://www.owensboroparks.org/facilities/travis-aubrey-skate-park/

That link contains a list of prohibited items. Here is an excerpt from that webpage:

The following are not permitted in the park:

Smoking/Tobacco Products
Alcoholic Beverages
Drugs
Profanity
Road/Mountain Bikes
Bullying/Fighting
Graffiti/Tagging
Pets
Loud music
Glass containers
Weapons

We contacted the City Manager of Owensboro and expressed our outrage. We got a letter from the City Attorney saying that it was matter of safety and since most people that visit the Skate Park are under 18 years of age, they wouldn't have guns anyway. They also said that people should not have guns while on bicycles or skateboards or while doing "jumps or flips". Of course, KC3 was not going for this crap arguement and we responded and mentioned that we just filed suit against Richmond for a simialr violation. I told him they have no authority to tell anybody what they can and can not do while carrying a gun. Today I got the following email from Mr. Lynn:

Dear gutshot II,

Thank you for your telephone call this morning. It had been my intention to respond sooner to your earlier e-mail regarding the “no weapons” sign at the Travis Aubrey skate park. As indicated in my earlier letter, the City’s policy regarding the skate park was addressed to the safety of those around the person carrying the firearm and was intended to prevent, for example, a firearm being dropped and injuring or killing an innocent party who may have no knowledge of another riding a skateboard while carrying a loaded firearm. As the majority of users of the park were minors under the age of 18, we sought to provide some level of protection to them. As an attorney, it does trouble me that the right to carry a firearm while performing tricks or stunts on a skateboard in a public park in Kentucky carries more weight than the life and safety of another unknowing park visitor. Regardless, based upon the language of KRS 65.870, I have directed that the “no weapons” provision be removed from the sign at the Travis Autry skate park.

Sincerely,

Steve Lynn

City Attorney

City of Owensboro

101 E. Fourth Street

P.O. Box 10003

If we keep getting information on stuff like this, we will keep fixing them. If we don't, well......

Guess what? Mr. Lynn claims that he used to work at the Dept.
of Criminal Justice Training in Richmond and helped design and write the Instuctors Training Manual and legal video. If anybody should know the law, it is him. It wasn't that he didn't know the law. He and the other officials at Owensboro don't think the law applies to them. It is only for the little guys.

Last edited:

FreedomLover

Seems to me that the "concerns" expressed by the city attorney should be more properly directed to the state legislature to change the law... NOT for him to encourage or justify the violation of the law.:shocker:

gutshot II

Last week I had to remind Mr. Lynn that the webpage for the Skate Park still contained the mention of "weapons" in the list of prohibited conduct. I checked back today and it had been removed. It had previously been the last item on the list here;

[url]https://www.owensboroparks.org/facilities/travis-aubrey-skate-park/
[/URL]

I have heard from local residents that the word "weapons" had already been painted over on the sign actually in the park.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate