• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trump announced he wiil ban bump-stocks by EO

gutshot II

This is what I mean by "forum operating weird". This post refers to "cow tailing" which means following a cow clandestinely. The OP certainly typed "kowtow".

I am not so certain of that. "Cow tailing" can mean several things. One you mentioned. Another is a short piece of rope that is used to keep something such as a boat oar from getting away from you when unattended. None of the meanings have anything to do with the OP. I think this is just an "eggcorn"( there is a website dedicated to them, and cowtailing is listed). An "eggcorn" is using a word, or group of words, inappropriately just because they sound similar to the proper word.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
From the article.
Think again. If the DOJ can use regulatory fiat to bring their ban hammer down on bump fire stocks, magically deeming them machine guns, what’s to stop this or, more likely, some future administration from deciding that “high-capacity” 30-round magazines are also unacceptable modifications that facilitate “unnecessary” rates of fire? Or lighter, drop-in triggers? Anything that could plausibly be argued to increase a gun’s “standard” rate of fire.

"Standard" rate of fire. What is that? Oh yes, there is no such thing, or if there is it would be the rate someone can pull the trigger at their maxim ability to cycle the trigger pull by the operator. One of the reasons that a heavy trigger is installed in any particular firearm is to help prevent an accidental bump-fire. My M&P 9C can be bump-fired with the stock ("standard") trigger. Practice, practice, practice.....

Smoke and mirrors.

georg jetson

I am not so certain of that. "Cow tailing" can mean several things. One you mentioned. Another is a short piece of rope that is used to keep something such as a boat oar from getting away from you when unattended. None of the meanings have anything to do with the OP. I think this is just an "eggcorn"( there is a website dedicated to them, and cowtailing is listed). An "eggcorn" is using a word, or group of words, inappropriately just because they sound similar to the proper word.

Thank you for expounding.

georg jetson

From Jeff's press release,

notice of a proposed regulation to clarify that the National Firearms and Gun Control Act defines ‘machinegun’ to include bump stock type devices.”

This is just a notification to conform to process. It could be clarification that bump stocks are NOT NFA regulated or a regulation so obviously creating new law that it's easily challenged ultra vires... or lost altogether in the process. Heck, the new illegal reg could just name THE bump stock by name. Easy enough to get around and no unintended consequences.

Have you heard the news today... The Pres is already backing off the federal age change for rifle purchases. I have a theory. He tells the truth to us and lies to the politicians.

Last edited: