• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New math? - less equals more?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As a general rule, we tip quite well. That doesn't put more money into the schools though.

Virginia doesn't have any 'bars' - all must derive a major percentage of income from food sales.

Sobering thoughts aren't they? (rhetorical)

JTHunter2

Usually, I will leave 10-15% for average to good service. I may go as high as 20% for exceptional service.

However, I have been known to leave two pennies if they are a major screw-up.
:rolleyes:

Wstar425

It reads to me that the Mayor himself does not support the boycott, but idea initiated by one of his appointees? I will not argue that the appointee does not speak for the mayor......

So, on what basis would they “boycott” anyway? The restaurants that make a verbal or public display of displeasure with the new tax? I don’t see not paying it probably being a viable option, but I will be the first to admit I don’t completely get it.

What does this have to do with a tip, unless one is saying they plan to reduce the tip by a similar amount to offset the tax increase?

Last edited:

Wstar425

I was considering the impact of the tax on the people.

Collective enterprises pay no tax or tax increase. Only individuals pay.

No argument from me.

I guess I see the tax and tip as two separate transactions. One for food, the other for service above and beyond. IF one wanted to look at the total cost of the transaction as the total expense of dining out, I would not have a problem with that, but not the way I look at it I guess.

Bad food, good service probably still gets a tip.
Good food, bad service probably no/not much tip
But I would still pay for the food, unless it was some atrocious situation. If it was inedible, I might balk at paying.

Last edited:

Brian D.

I was always taught (by my parents, who spent some time in the restaurant/bar business) that you should figure the tip on the pre-tax subtotal. As I've gotten older it seems to save me a few more pennies every time. This is a topic that can raise my hackles, for several reasons, which all come back to being taxed by a governmental entity that really didn't contribute anything useful to my dining/drinking experience.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Originally Posted by Brian D.
This is a topic that can raise my hackles, ... being taxed by a governmental entity that really didn't contribute anything useful to my dining/drinking experience.

Oh, really? Private roads farm to market and for the Sysco delivery driver too? I guarantee that your parents didn’t send you to private school, with a statement like yours.
I'm sure if his parents could have sent him to private school he would have been a doctor. Instead Brian D. was a paramedic dealing with heroin overdoses, syringe needles hanging out of their arms, within inches of death. Or saving someones life from a massive heart attack. Better yet, attempting to stabilize some gang member with three shots to the chest.

I think Brian D. is referring to wasteful government spending.

Wstar425

http://www.nbc12.com/story/37404888...s-boycotting-restaurants-that-oppose-tax-hike

Looks like the Mayor's appointee abruptly resigned from her unpaid position. I bet that was a hard decision to make when the feces hit the windmill.

It's in the video, but I did not see it mentioned in the printed material.

I guess I don't see the tip on the tax of a few pennies being enough to get worked up over. Fortunately, we are financially secure and can eat out when and if we want. I understand that is not everyone. I remember a group of young kids with a leader, Boy Scouts or similar, at a Pizza Hut. The Leader made a big production of calculating the tax to the point of pulling out a calculator and figuring it down to the penny, Then it was a matter of coming up with $8.61, where I would have been inclined to just leave $9.00 or $10. (I was about ready to hand the guy a !0 spot) Maybe he was demonstrating a math problem, or just the tipping principle! I don't know or really care, but this was quite a few years ago, and it struck me enough that I still remember it. I guess we will not be dining in Richmond any time in the near future, but wasn't planning to before I read the story either.

On the other end of the spectrum, our daughter and three friends ate out a pre prom dinner at a FANCY restaurant. They said Grace before their meal. Somebody noticed, paid their entire bill and tip, along with dessert, which they were not planning to have. DQ later. Never found out who it was.

Last edited: