• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reidsville, GA City Hall - "No Guns Allowed" Signs NOT To Be Enforced

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The City of Reidsville spent tax-payer money to purchase three metal signs for the three entry doors to city hall, but does not plan on enforcing them. They are merely for show, in order to try and trick citizens into not carrying there, per the admittance of Mayor Sydney Clifton.

See my article here: http://pursuitofpatriotism.blogspot.com/2018/01/reidsville-ga-no-guns-allowed-magic.html

You need a law like Virginia's preemption statute, where administrative action is restricted. It is a violation to mislead people.

https://www.justanswer.com/criminal-law/4u08i-so-15-2-915-code-virginia-preemption-law-it.html

phil1979

Not only that, but Georgia needs a law specifying that public-private partnerships are political subdivisions. Too many local governments allow private companies that manage publicly owned property to ban legally carried weapons, contrary to state law, which as of 2014 specifically limited gun bans to "private property".

Apparently, some judges believe that public property even when used by the general public for public events magically becomes "private property when managed, leased, or rented by a private entity.

Florida has this same issue.

Alabama fixed it some years ago with the definition I mentioned above.

2a4all

You need a law like Virginia's preemption statute, where administrative action is restricted. It is a violation to mislead people.

https://www.justanswer.com/criminal-law/4u08i-so-15-2-915-code-virginia-preemption-law-it.html

Sorry, Grape, but things aren't always as they seem.

Sadly, Virginia's Preemption statute governing venues under the control of localities which have been contracted out for management to a private entity which then enforces a "no guns" policy with the approval of the locality is common and has never been tested in court. Speaking from personal experience, the venue manager is aware of the limits of his authority in that he can ask you to leave and press trespassing charges if you don't comply.

A former VA Attorney General issued an opinion stating that this practice was prohibited by the Virginia statute, but the locality I had an experience with used that exact same argument to support their venue manager's policy.