Thread: Part Time Resident

Part Time Resident

I have recently become part owner of a condo in Minnesota near Minneapolis and will be spending several months there during the year.

I am a current and valid Florida CCW holder but as well you know, Florida and Minnesota do not reciprocate permits (Florida has the age 18 Military clause).

Before I call the local Sheriff's office near the condo and inquire about my status, will I be able to get a permit for Minnesota or will I need to be a full time resident?

AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Appears you are SOL.

No New Hampshire, Utah, Iowa or North Dakota help.

Selling interest in condo and going fishing in Florida might be best.
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Appears you are SOL.

No New Hampshire, Utah, Iowa or North Dakota help.

Selling interest in condo and going fishing in Florida might be best.
    Agree!

Minnesota is like Illinois just not on steroids.

You can get a Minnesota permit as a non resident all you have to do is take the required course and submit your application to the sheriff of any county.

My son did it last summer my wife did it a few years back my brother did it before that.

Fairly simple.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    You can get a Minnesota permit as a non resident all you have to do is take the required course and submit your application to the sheriff of any county.

My son did it last summer my wife did it a few years back my brother did it before that.

Fairly simple.
    That would be great and I am not questioning your veracity, but I don't read it that way. Do you have a site that points to that specifically?

Could it be a Wisconsin/Minnesota thing?
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-19-2018 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Fairly simple.
    Looks like you're correct. MN stat 624.714 seems to cover it nicely and all I really need to do is get up there and submit the application in person.

I have all the required documentation and training sitting here on the desk..

Hopefully this will go smoothly this spring. Thanks for heading me in the right direction.

AD
    NRA Certified Instructor

I would summit to a sheriff outside the metro area.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

I would summit to a sheriff outside the metro area.
    I'll be out of Excelsior, MN and will track down the county Sheriff's office today.

Looks like Carver or Scott counties should work.

AD
    Last edited by ADulay; 01-21-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    NRA Certified Instructor

Same situation

Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    I have recently become part owner of a condo in Minnesota near Minneapolis and will be spending several months there during the year.

I am a current and valid Florida CCW holder but as well you know, Florida and Minnesota do not reciprocate permits (Florida has the age 18 Military clause).

Before I call the local Sheriff's office near the condo and inquire about my status, will I be able to get a permit for Minnesota or will I need to be a full time resident?

AD
    AD,
    I was in the same situation, I spend half the year in MN and I was able to aquire my MN conceal carry. Steps listed below.

1. Keep your Florida Drivera license, however, go online to FL DMV and change the address to your MN addresss. This is both possible and allowed. If you ever ordered or changed your address online for your florida driver license, its the same process.

2. Once you receieve your new florida drivers license with you MN address in the mail, sign up for the conceal carry course, I went to Bills Gun store.

3. Go downtown, turn in the paperwork along with the required fees.

4. 30 days later, CCW permit arrives in the mail.

Hope this helps.

Problem appears solved.

I took one of the authorized carry classes in Minnesota. Shot the simple qualifier and paid the Sherriff's office in downtown Minneapolis the fee and my paperwork will be churning around the system for a few weeks until the permit/license shows up.

As a side note, the Sheriff's office in downtown Minneapolis (Room 22 for those who need it) was VERY accommodating and helpful in making sure my application was complete and correct. The same for my lady friend who also applied for her permit at the same time.

The hardest part for most people is that you have to carry the application in, in person as you can't mail it in or do it online.

While I was away, my Utah permit showed up in the mail.

It's been a good month.

AD
    NRA Certified Instructor

Glad it worked out for you.

The turn around time at the smaller sheriff offices can be days not weeks.

Even with a large department you could get your permit sooner then you think.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 08-19-2018 at 07:43 AM.

A pleasant surprise in my mail box this afternoon was the Minnesota Carry Permit.

Nice turnaround time for an initial submission.

Dropped the paperwork off at the Hennepin Sheriff's office on Aug 13th and it showed up here in Florida 10 days later. Nice work!

At least now I won't feel "naked" in Minneapolis in the future.

AD

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-MtttcNN-M.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	13488  
    NRA Certified Instructor

Carry Away.