• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2018 Firearm Legislation

poetdante

HB 36 by C. Morgan of Madison County.

AN ACT relating to carrying concealed weapons.
Create a new section of Chapter 237 to allow concealed deadly weapons to be carried without a license in same locations as concealed carry license holders may carry them; amend KRS 237.115 and 527.020 to conform.

more to follow.

HB 31/CI/LM (BR 165) - J. Wayne

AN ACT relating to firearms.
Create a new section of KRS Chapter 527 to prohibit the unlawful storage of a firearm.

Also, suck it antifa!
HB 53 (BR 305) - C. Morgan

AN ACT relating to public protests.

Create a new section of KRS Chapter 525 to create a Class A misdemeanor, disruption of a public protest, for a person who wears a mask or hood concealing his or her face while engaging in a public protest; create a new section of KRS Chapter 525 to create a Class A misdemeanor, obstruction of traffic; abolish criminal or civil liability for a motor vehicle operator who causes injury or death to a person obstructing the flow of traffic during a public demonstration for which a permit has not been granted, unless the infliction of injury or death is intentional; create a new section of KRS Chapter 522 to prohibit any person, including a public servant, from preventing a peace officer from performing official duties at a protest.

Last edited:

LouKYccguy

HB 189 Sent to Local Government Committee

HB 189 (https://openstates.org/ky/bills/2018RS/HB189/) has been referred to the Local Government Committee. Some legislators may think that it is "just" a Metro thing, and that if Metro wants it, OK. They need to be reminded that it may cause THEIR constituents problems if they travel to Metro and aren't aware of the laws. It gives local governments the ability to establish gun control ordinances. I don't believe we need this.

Membership http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Committee/standing/LocGov(H)/members.htm

Please write them today expressing your feelings on this issue.

Thanks and a H/T to Shawn.

gutshot II

HB 189 (https://openstates.org/ky/bills/2018RS/HB189/) has been referred to the Local Government Committee. Some legislators may think that it is "just" a Metro thing, and that if Metro wants it, OK. They need to be reminded that it may cause THEIR constituents problems if they travel to Metro and aren't aware of the laws. It gives local governments the ability to establish gun control ordinances. I don't believe we need this.

Membership http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Committee/standing/LocGov(H)/members.htm

Please write them today expressing your feelings on this issue.

Thanks and a H/T to Shawn.

The Chair of that committee is Rob Rothenberger and he is my neighbor and represents the district where we both live. I was in his office Tuesday morning and we discussed several things, including HB 189 and HR 68. None of the bills we discussed had been assigned to a committee at that time, but we both knew that there was a strong possibility that he would be getting them both. He did not express a very favorable opinon of either of them. I suspect that neither HB 189 or HR 68 will recieve a hearing in Representative Rothenberger's committee. I will call him in the morning to confirm that suspicion.

Representative Rothenberger was County Judge/Exec of our county for 16 years before he was elected to the General Assembly. I have know him a long time. He knows my wife. He knows my daughter. I know his family. We are on a first name basis. The county has never had any gun related ordinances, rules, or policies. We have no county police force.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The Chair of that committee is Rob Rothenberger and he is my neighbor and represents the district where we both live. I was in his office Tuesday morning and we discussed several things, including HB 189 and HR 68. None of the bills we discussed had been assigned to a committee at that time, but we both knew that there was a strong possibility that he would be getting them both. He did not express a very favorable opinon of either of them. I suspect that neither HB 189 or HR 68 will recieve a hearing in Representative Rothenberger's committee. I will call him in the morning to confirm that suspicion.

Representative Rothenberger was County Judge/Exec of our county for 16 years before he was elected to the General Assembly. I have know him a long time. He knows my wife. He knows my daughter. I know his family. We are on a first name basis. The county has never had any gun related ordinances, rules, or policies. We have no county police force.
So, my question is, do you live in the wild west or utopia? After all they say, an armed society is a polite society.

gutshot II

HB 210

Representative Tim Moore of E-town has introduced this year's version of his bill to eliminate almost all gun free zones in Ky. It is HB 210. This year he has not included K-12 schools in the bill. They will remain banned areas without any change to the law. Some of the places that were mentioned as being off limits to concealed carry in KRS 237.110 will be eliminated and some will stand. I'll have to read the bill more thoroughly before listing all the changes. Public college campus carry will be allowed if this passes.

This bill might have a chance to pass. I had advised Rep. Moore in the past that it would help if he would drop the issue of K-12 schools and he would not do it. If we can get this passed, we can come back later for the fight on schools. It will take years to get that done. You can read the bill here:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/18RS/HB210/bill.pdf

LouKYccguy

New Bills Filed In KY General Assembly

We are in the meat of the General Assembly now that the Governor has delivered his State of the State and budget. You can sure tell too.

The bill they are a flying….

HB 210/LM*(BR 258) -*T. Moore

*****AN ACT relating to public protection.*
**** Amend KRS 237.115 to allow persons with valid concealed deadly weapons licenses or temporary permits to carry concealed weapons on public postsecondary property and in buildings controlled by state and local government, except courtrooms and detention facilities; amend KRS 237.110 to allow persons with valid concealed deadly weapons licenses or temporary permits to carry concealed weapons in meetings of the General Assembly; make technical and conforming amendments.

*****Jan 18, 2018 - introduced in House

Not a bad idea.

Then there is this….

HB 209/CI/LM*(BR 1142) -*A. Scott

*****AN ACT relating to the possession of firearms by persons found to have committed hate crimes.
**** Create a new Class D felony in KRS Chapter 527 to prohibit people convicted of a hate crime from possessing firearms.

*****Jan 17, 2018 - introduced in House

There is NO statute in the KRS creating a ‘hate crime(s)’. It is a sentencing enhancement. So the above proposed legislation is posturing, in as much as a convicted felon can not purchase or own a weapon anyway.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
(b)A publicly funded college, university, or postsecondary education facility shall not restrict the carrying or possession of a deadly weapon on any property owned or controlled by the institution by a person who holds a valid concealed deadly weapon license issued pursuant to Section 3 of this Act or KRS 237.138 to 237.142 or 403.754.
Why not add a line that says that: any private college, university, or postsecondary education facility shall not restrict the carrying or possession of a deadly weapon on any property owned or controlled by the institution by a person who holds a valid concealed deadly weapon license issued pursuant to Section 3 of this Act or KRS 237.138 to 237.142 or 403.754 if they receive any federal or state funds directly or indirectly.

gutshot II

Why not add a line that says that: any private college, university, or postsecondary education facility shall not restrict the carrying or possession of a deadly weapon on any property owned or controlled by the institution by a person who holds a valid concealed deadly weapon license issued pursuant to Section 3 of this Act or KRS 237.138 to 237.142 or 403.754 if they receive any federal or state funds directly or indirectly.
That would be a good idea if all we wanted to accomplish was to make a point on an Internet website, but the real goal is to get the bill passed. Doing as you suggest would make the bill cover every "private" college in the state and the Ky. General Assembly will not do that. The bill would be poisoned.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
That would be a good idea if all we wanted to accomplish was to make a point on an Internet website, but the real goal is to get the bill passed. Doing as you suggest would make the bill cover every "private" college in the state and the Ky. General Assembly will not do that. The bill would be poisoned.
Are private colleges actually private if they are taking federal and/or state funds? I don't think so.

gutshot II

Are private colleges actually private if they are taking federal and/or state funds? I don't think so.

It doesn't matter what you think. It doesn't matter what I think. To get this bill passed, it only matters what the members of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky think. The language in the bill suits the sponsor, Representative Moore. If you want it changed, there is contact information, both email and phone, available at the LRC website.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/

If you would like to run for one of the open seats this year, you must file by the end of this month.

Last edited:

gutshot II

We are in the meat of the General Assembly now that the Governor has delivered his State of the State and budget. You can sure tell too.

The bill they are a flying….

HB 210/LM*(BR 258) -*T. Moore

*****AN ACT relating to public protection.*
**** Amend KRS 237.115 to allow persons with valid concealed deadly weapons licenses or temporary permits to carry concealed weapons on public postsecondary property and in buildings controlled by state and local government, except courtrooms and detention facilities; amend KRS 237.110 to allow persons with valid concealed deadly weapons licenses or temporary permits to carry concealed weapons in meetings of the General Assembly; make technical and conforming amendments.

....... SNIP.

HB 210 has been assigned to the House Judiciary Committee. Now is the time to start making phone calls. Call the Legislative Message line at 1-800-372-7181 and tell them that your message is for "All the members of the House Judiciary Committee" and your message is "Give HB 210 a hearing in the House Judiciary Committee and send it to the floor with a favorable report".

The House Judiciary Committee is Chaired by Joe Fischer, of Campbell Co. Representative Fischer is a fair and honorable man. He will give the bill a fair hearing if he senses enough support for it. There are some very anti-gun people on that committee that will fight this bill. Expect to see them try to attach several stupid amendments to it. We can win this fight and get this bill passed, but we have to fight and fight smart. This is the first bill we have had in several years that affects all concealed carry licensees. If this passes, the ban on guns will stop on public college campuses, there will no longer be any gun bans in city and county buildings, except detention facilities and court facilities. You would be able to carry at a city council meeting, a Fiscal Court meeting and at a meeting of the General Assembly.

The "mad mommies" will be up in arms about this bill. They will call day and night. Don't let them "out call" us. Get your friends and neighbors to call and everybody call often. Call your individual Representatives and tell them to do all they can to get Chairman Fischer to give this bill a hearing. If we can get this passed, we can go after bars and schools next.

You can see HB 210 here:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/18RS/HB210/bill.pdf

Last edited:

gutshot II

SB 103 will provide for a new position at schools. The new position will be school Marshall. The district school board will be allowed to designate anyone that meets the requirements of the law as school marshal. These people will have access to guns on school property. The school Marshall will be a teacher, administrator or other school employee. There can be more than one school Marshall for each 400 students and employees in each school. The school board and the school Marshall will have diminished liability.

You can see SB103 here:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/18RS/SB103/bill.pdf

Last edited:

Ghost1958

Will this bill still be valid if the bill to do away with ccdw, permits passes?

gutshot II

Will this bill still be valid if the bill to do away with ccdw, permits passes?

There is no bill to "do away with" CCDW's. HB 36 is the only constitutional carry bill in sight. It, just like every other one ever introduced would keep the present licensing system. The only difference is that it would be voluntary. HB 210 only applies to people that have a CCDW and will still only apply to the same people should HB 36 pass.

gutshot II

HB 210 Has been "posted in committee". That means it should be scheduled for a committee hearing. The next committee hearing of the House Judiciary Committee is scheduled for 12 noon on Wednesday, Feb.14 (valentines Day). It should be heard then. I'll probably know more about it tomorrow. Now is the time to blast the committee members with support for House Bill 210. The legislative message line is 800-372-7181 and you should leave a message for "All the members of the House Judiciary Committee" and Your message should be "pass HB 210 and send in to the floor with a favorable reccommendation".

Ghost1958

There is no bill to "do away with" CCDW's. HB 36 is the only constitutional carry bill in sight. It, just like every other one ever introduced would keep the present licensing system. The only difference is that it would be voluntary. HB 210 only applies to people that have a CCDW and will still only apply to the same people should HB 36 pass.

Same old charming gutshot lol. I meant if ending the requirement for one passes . Will those with no permit have the same right as those that do to carry all these new places?

And I think there is actually a hate crime law on the books that makes assaulting a police officer a hate crime. Think it passed last year.

Last edited:

gutshot II

Same old charming gutshot lol. I meant if ending the requirement for one passes . Will those with no permit have the same right as those that do to carry all these new places?

And I think there is actually a hate crime law on the books that makes assaulting a police officer a hate crime. Think it passed last year.

Here's a little more charm for you. Read the bill.

gutshot II

Two new gun bills introduced today. HB 162 would allow shools to establish "safety response programs" that use "less-than-lethal" weapons. SB 387 would exempt Louisville Metro from our statewide firearms preemption statute.

garyh9900

I called and left the committee a message to pass 210 and give it a favorable recommendation. If we can get it through the house, I’ll call, visit and push Senator Robinson to get this bill passed.