Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single action vs double action colt revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Your right you never said the no. 3

You said

While most were pocket revolvers the famed S&W Russian in DAO was also a top break.

The No. 3 Russian model/Schofield was/is the most well know and the most produced and the one that is copied today by a couple of companies. and when does a search it is the one most commonly associated the 44 Russian cartridge.

The no. 3 sales just alone to Russia were around double what was the total production of the No. 1 double action, let alone all the other counties and civilian sales the No. 3 was sold to.

The No.1 was AKA the Frontier but was never known as the Russian model the No. 3 was.

I guess we can disagree what S@W's revolver chambered in 44 S@W Russian was or is the most famous.

And we can parse words over what framed S@W Russian in DAO means when talking about revolvers or did you really mean the famed .44 S@W Russian cartridge.

But it is winter and this helps the time go buy.
    How many times do I have to repeat I never said number three, and S&W DID make a DA in 44 Russian top break. I have already proven that, there are numerous DAO original top breaks in 44 out there from the period they were made. I also never said hammerless, even though there was no striker fired revolvers in that period of time. The DAO only models were bobbed hammers, just like my model 64 has a bobbed hammer, and is DAO.

I did mean the famous 44 Russian cartridge, you can think whatever you want. No different than if I had said the famed 45 colt, or famed 44-40, or this one should really get your goat the famed 38 Special. Just admit it, you posted misinformation like you usually do. Now you are trying to put it off on my by putting words in my mouth, or claiming I meant something I did not say. The joke is on you.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 01-20-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

BTW thanks for ruining another thread with your garbage arguing.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I couldn’t make it out. I thought he was trolling for NAZI’s.
    I don't think so, he just does not know what he is talking about.

Back on topic, the comic in the OP was Gunsmoke, also a famous TV show. TV westerns brought demand for single action revolvers in the TV western age. It had nothing to do with the weakness of DA revolvers with, or without swing out cylinders at that period. It was enough for Colt to bring back their production of the single action. Most revolvers at that time were probably on the hip of police officers, as conceal carry had not come to age yet, and most firearms owned by the public were sport, or hunting arms. The famous twelve gauge probably the most popular long arm of the time.

The 357 had been developed before the age of TV, and it was chambered in the S&W registered magnum, many still being shot today. General Patton carried one of these RM's occasionally during WW2, as well as a engraved Colt SA. What became the model 27 was the gun actually built for magnum cartridge, not a Single Action. The 44 magnum revolver was also introduced in a double action revolver. This was all done in the period of time leading up to TV westerns, and already the age of B western movies. Movies, and TV, let alone comic books were very far from factual, and anybody who would walk away believing they were factual is a fool.

It is true that the SA was very popular, but more popular is debatable, among who? With police officers? Nope. With people carrying a pocket pistol? NO. They were mostly popular with people who loved westerns, they are still popular today, but not the carry pistol of choice. I carry single action revolvers for defense, and if anybody was going to bolster that claim it would be me, but the claim is bovine scatology. DA revolvers were built strong for the cartridges they were designed for at the turn of the century, and they only got better as they progressed. That is why so many are still in use today.

Again as far as strength both the DA, and the SA have similar parts. At the period of S&W, and similar break tops the guns were made in both DA, and SA the weakness on those revolvers was in the same place, and not affected by action which limited them from heavy loads. Boutique ammo manufacturers like Buffalo Bore give a warning on some of their ammo NOT to be used with break top revolvers.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    How many times do I have to repeat I never said number three, and S&W DID make a DA in 44 Russian top break. .
    I guess you missed the first line of the reply you quoted.

And I did mention the model of S@W double action top break they chambered in the 44 Russian cartridge.

So I guess even when one agrees with you they don't.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 01-20-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I guess you missed the first line of the reply you quoted.

And I did mention the model of S@W double action top break they chambered in the 44 Russian cartridge.

So I guess even when one agrees with you they don't.
    Yet you continued with the same babbling. You have some issues, don't project them on others.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Single action production was stopped in 1941.

At the beginning of World War II, Colt ceased production of the Single Action Army revolver to devote more time to filling orders for the war. When the war ended, no plans were made to revive the Single Action Army revolver as the design was seen as obsolete. However the advent of television and Western themed movies created customer demand for the revolver, so Colt resumed manufacture in 1956 with the Second Generation line of Single Action Army revolvers

Double action revolver production continue through and after the war.

Bill Ruger saw the need and brought out the single six, bear cat and the black Hawk models to meet the demand then colt started up its production of single actions again.

Now many fine revolvers of both kinds are available from 22rf to the most powerful hand gun calibers along with some rifle rounds.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Single action production was stopped in 1941.

At the beginning of World War II, Colt ceased production of the Single Action Army revolver to devote more time to filling orders for the war. When the war ended, no plans were made to revive the Single Action Army revolver as the design was seen as obsolete. However the advent of television and Western themed movies created customer demand for the revolver, so Colt resumed manufacture in 1956 with the Second Generation line of Single Action Army revolvers

Double action revolver production continue through and after the war.

Bill Ruger saw the need and brought out the single six, bear cat and the black Hawk models to meet the demand then colt started up its production of single actions again.

Now many fine revolvers of both kinds are available from 22rf to the most powerful hand gun calibers along with some rifle rounds.
    And when was the era of TV westerns, and B western movies? When Bill Ruger started production of his revolvers he started them with SA revolvers, S&W and Colt already had the police market. They were marketed to the western fans, in fact it was SASS that brought about the Ruger Vaquero. Single action revolvers are still very popular today, the most popular? NO not by a long shot, but it has nothing to do with the strength or weakness of the design. It has mostly to do with the western silver screen, and some literature.

Before the turn of the century, and the age of nickle movies it was due to monetary reasons. People kept what worked, they usually only owned one handgun if they owned any at all. Older revolvers cost less, and older revolvers at the time were mostly single action. Cap, and Ball revolvers were still carried into the 20th century that was not due to them being popular at the time, or their strength. When you get into strength of a handgun revolvers do not enter into it, that is where the break open, and bolt action shine use for silhouette shooting. Which on the popularity scale is really low, but they are strong.

To put it all into two words John Wayne.

Maybe this will help you figure it out. This is an image from Ruger advertising. https://ruger.com/products/vaquero/overview.html

Last edited by WalkingWolf; 01-20-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

And if that is not enough, from 1939~

Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    From the sublime to substandard with substantial personal remarks. No submariners were physically injured however.

Think this thread has exceeded its usefulness.

Locked.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-20-2018 at 03:43 PM.
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12