• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording interactions with police. Need info to get set up.

pat

When I get pulled over by law enforcement and want everything that is said by me and them to be recorded, both voice and visual what would you recommend?
Is there any web sites that covers such a thing?

If I win in court can I get my lawyer fees paid by (city, state, etc)

(Currently not in trouble, and never been arrested in my 60 plus years. Just getting tired of getting searched every time I have any interaction with police).

Thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When I get pulled over by law enforcement and want everything that is said by me and them to be recorded, both voice and visual what would you recommend?
Is there any web sites that covers such a thing?

If I win in court can I get my lawyer fees paid by (city, state, etc)

(Currently not in trouble, and never been arrested in my 60 plus years. Just getting tired of getting searched every time I have any interaction with police).

Thanks

Laws will vary dependent on in which state you are located.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...(Currently not in trouble, and never been arrested in my 60 plus years. Just getting tired of getting searched every time I have any interaction with police). ...
Every time? During what kinds of circumstances do these searches occur?

pat

Every time? During what kinds of circumstances do these searches occur?

(OK, I think I can write this up without being too vague and explain why I get so nervous).

I’m a mid 60’s guy retired from 2 jobs and never has been arrested. But every time I have any law enforcement interaction I fall to pieces because of a prior incident that happened over 10 years ago. I don’t want to call it a flash back, but I get nervous as hell. During law enforcement interactions they think I’m hiding something or acting not normal, then I get searched. Latest time I had any dealings with the law was when I got rear ended at a stop light. When law enforcement shows up and I could barely spit out my name. Then I know what comes next…”we’re going to detain you” (in cuffs of course), then the pat down comes and takes my phone out of my pocket. Then I hear you’re acting “weird” (lack of better term). We’re going to search your vehicle. I’m getting tired of it. Ya I’m acting weird, because I remember the incident over 10 years prior.

(For background)…Anyone who has had a confrontation or other adversarial contact with police understands the frustration in dealing with this power imbalance. First, any refusal to cooperate completely with police orders (whether legal or not) can lead to an arrest or worse. Second, if there is ever a disagreement over the facts of such a confrontation, Courts will typically take the word of police officers over the word of a citizen/arrestee. Third, police agencies have complete control over the storage of recording equipment (such as in-car video) used in prosecutions and other legal proceeding.

What do I have to do or where to go to get set up for my own recording? So that there is proof of what actually happened. And not my word against theirs? And if I win in court, can I also get my lawyer fees paid?

Best I can tell my local law enforcement doesn’t plant evidence (that I’ve read or heard about), but I can tell you that they do take advantage of people.

(Where my problem started) Not to be too vague, but the incident it revolves around my ex old druggie neighbors and law enforcement that used to show up at their house; usually once a week. That was prior to the county finally getting their house closed down.

One night I get pulled over about a block away from my house because I “didn’t signal for enough in advance”. When asked I gave the cop my driver’s license. He asked me if I had any weapons or anything illegal. I said “no”. When I was digging around in my glove box for registration, his flashlight sees my ashtray with odds and ends of junk in it and a small pocket knife. Pocket knife, as in maybe a 2 inch blade. Used the knife at work to cut shrink wrap off pallets when unloading freight. I considered it a tool, like a carpenter would a hammer. Didn’t even think of it as a weapon. He yells, “Don’t move” I glance over and he has his pistol pointed at me. Pulls me out of vehicle by my collar, face down, handcuffed . Cop tells me “making false statements to law enforcement is a crime” (false statements, as in I told him I didn’t have any weapons). Scared the daylights out of me with his pistol pointed at me. I can remember it like yesterday. Then he searched my vehicle and scolded me like a 3 year old. Searched as in everything under the seat was now on top and thrown around basically he ransacked my vehicle. Then he let go, then (and this is what I remember the most) about 45 min later that same cop was shot and he died in another call only 3 blocks from my house.

That next day talking with druggie neighbors, who were real familiar with this cop, (from a druggie point of view) Turns out this cop was the one when searching the druggie house basically beats them up inside their house. They gave me lots of examples, lots of pressure on their head while holding it down with his boot. Even though they were handcuffed. One time searching the house about midnight and weather was real cold, he pulled them out of their house and left them in his police car in their underwear with heater off and windows down for about 45 min etc, etc. At any rate, druggies had lots of examples of his mis-use of authority. My only interactions with the druggie neighbors was the street parking in front of our houses and an insurance claim, when their tree fell over on our garage, Sometimes they had to park in front of my house and vice versa. I really think the cop got my vehicle confused with the druggies car. The newspapers of course covered the story of the cop shooting with what a great guy this cop was. But later that week there was also several letters to the editor signed anonymously of what a rogue cop this guy was.

Many people on here are very good writers…I’m not. But I think I’ve explained why I get so nervous and what I want to do is get my vehicle set up so I can have proof of what actually goes on if I get taken advantage of again. This whole episode goes 180 degrees against my upbringing and over 30 years military reserves. I've explained to several law enforcement types in my military reserve unit, (the ones I've been close to over the years). While 10 years late for any police complaint, they do say that they also have some "co-workers" that they try to stay from. And not to judge all of them by the actions from one. While I agree with that theory, that doesn't help me one bit if I get in trouble with what I want to call a rouge cop.

What do I have to do to get set up with recording, so there is proof of what actually happened. And not my word against theirs?

Thank you for replying any advice you have.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
(OK, I think I can write this up without being too vague and explain why I get so nervous).

I’m a mid 60’s guy retired from 2 jobs and never has been arrested. But every time I have any law enforcement interaction I fall to pieces because of a prior incident that happened over 10 years ago. I don’t want to call it a flash back, but I get nervous as hell. During law enforcement interactions they think I’m hiding something or acting not normal, then I get searched. Latest time I had any dealings with the law was when I got rear ended at a stop light. When law enforcement shows up and I could barely spit out my name. Then I know what comes next…”we’re going to detain you” (in cuffs of course), then the pat down comes and takes my phone out of my pocket. Then I hear you’re acting “weird” (lack of better term). We’re going to search your vehicle. I’m getting tired of it. Ya I’m acting weird, because I remember the incident over 10 years prior.

(For background)…Anyone who has had a confrontation or other adversarial contact with police understands the frustration in dealing with this power imbalance. First, any refusal to cooperate completely with police orders (whether legal or not) can lead to an arrest or worse. Second, if there is ever a disagreement over the facts of such a confrontation, Courts will typically take the word of police officers over the word of a citizen/arrestee. Third, police agencies have complete control over the storage of recording equipment (such as in-car video) used in prosecutions and other legal proceeding.

What do I have to do or where to go to get set up for my own recording? So that there is proof of what actually happened. And not my word against theirs? And if I win in court, can I also get my lawyer fees paid?

Best I can tell my local law enforcement doesn’t plant evidence (that I’ve read or heard about), but I can tell you that they do take advantage of people.

(Where my problem started) Not to be too vague, but the incident it revolves around my ex old druggie neighbors and law enforcement that used to show up at their house; usually once a week. That was prior to the county finally getting their house closed down.

One night I get pulled over about a block away from my house because I “didn’t signal for enough in advance”. When asked I gave the cop my driver’s license. He asked me if I had any weapons or anything illegal. I said “no”. When I was digging around in my glove box for registration, his flashlight sees my ashtray with odds and ends of junk in it and a small pocket knife. Pocket knife, as in maybe a 2 inch blade. Used the knife at work to cut shrink wrap off pallets when unloading freight. I considered it a tool, like a carpenter would a hammer. Didn’t even think of it as a weapon. He yells, “Don’t move” I glance over and he has his pistol pointed at me. Pulls me out of vehicle by my collar, face down, handcuffed . Cop tells me “making false statements to law enforcement is a crime” (false statements, as in I told him I didn’t have any weapons). Scared the daylights out of me with his pistol pointed at me. I can remember it like yesterday. Then he searched my vehicle and scolded me like a 3 year old. Searched as in everything under the seat was now on top and thrown around basically he ransacked my vehicle. Then he let go, then (and this is what I remember the most) about 45 min later that same cop was shot and he died in another call only 3 blocks from my house.

That next day talking with druggie neighbors, who were real familiar with this cop, (from a druggie point of view) Turns out this cop was the one when searching the druggie house basically beats them up inside their house. They gave me lots of examples, lots of pressure on their head while holding it down with his boot. Even though they were handcuffed. One time searching the house about midnight and weather was real cold, he pulled them out of their house and left them in his police car in their underwear with heater off and windows down for about 45 min etc, etc. At any rate, druggies had lots of examples of his mis-use of authority. My only interactions with the druggie neighbors was the street parking in front of our houses and an insurance claim, when their tree fell over on our garage, Sometimes they had to park in front of my house and vice versa. I really think the cop got my vehicle confused with the druggies car. The newspapers of course covered the story of the cop shooting with what a great guy this cop was. But later that week there was also several letters to the editor signed anonymously of what a rogue cop this guy was.

Many people on here are very good writers…I’m not. But I think I’ve explained why I get so nervous and what I want to do is get my vehicle set up so I can have proof of what actually goes on if I get taken advantage of again. This whole episode goes 180 degrees against my upbringing and over 30 years military reserves. I've explained to several law enforcement types in my military reserve unit, (the ones I've been close to over the years). While 10 years late for any police complaint, they do say that they also have some "co-workers" that they try to stay from. And not to judge all of them by the actions from one. While I agree with that theory, that doesn't help me one bit if I get in trouble with what I want to call a rouge cop.

What do I have to do to get set up with recording, so there is proof of what actually happened. And not my word against theirs?

Thank you for replying any advice you have.
Wow. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I understand that sometimes it's very difficult to shake remembrances of prior events, and that recollecting them affects the here and now. Not that my experiences equal yours, but I remember feeling uneasy around cops for a fair amount of time when first open carrying.

As for your question: "What do I have to do or where to go to get set up for my own recording?", I'm hopeful that you'll get more answers to your query here on OCDO. One thing that might help is to fill in your location in your profile. There's nothing like in-person meetings and help.

If you have a smartphone, I suggest you get ahold of Cell411, a free app which among other things can record audio and video to a remote location. The guy who started it is a committed Second Amendment guy, and is very much against authoritarians. Cell411 also has a Facebook presence.

Here's Cell411's website: https://getcell411.com/

I hope that helps somewhat, I hope you stick around and continue to interact, and I hope that you have the opportunity to meet in-person with some of the great people on here.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

First off as far as the recording record with more than one device. Hopefully if one is confiscated they may miss the other. Destroying evidence even by a police officer is a crime, does not mean it won't happen but not likely from an honest officer. I would say from your description you have suffered mental injury from the first event, and you may wish to seek counseling to deal with it. That might help in future encounters with police. Don't reach in your glove box, don't reach to your back pocket. Keep your papers either on the visor, or in a breast pocket, do not give any invitation for a search. Once you open a compartment you just invited the search. I keep my papers in my shirt pocket, even my t-shirts have pockets. If you do not have any shirts with pockets you can buy document lanyards at Wallyworld, hang them around your neck. Never reach for documents until instructed by the officer, and then make sure you tell them exactly where they are before retrieving them.