• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hard push by anti's from Domestic Violence perspective

solus

BBC quote
So what is the relationship between domestic violence and shootings in the US? Is domestic abuse a good indicator that someone will ultimately become a mass murderer?

Every Town For Gun Safety, a campaign group, turned to the FBI's published data on these appalling crimes and analysed the histories of each attacker. It found that in 54% of the shootings the victims were current or former intimate partners or other family members.

In other words, there were potential warnings signs that, if acted upon, may have saved lives.
The analysis also found that in more than 40% of cases, the shooter had "exhibited warning signs" such as violent or threatening behaviour that indicated they were a danger to themselves or others.

The US Congressional Research Service, which produces expert impartial reports in a similar way to their counterparts in the British Parliament, has also looked at the relationship between domestic violence and mass shootings.

When it analysed the remaining incidents over the 15 years to 2013, it found that a fifth of the 66 public-place mass shootings had been "possibly triggered" by a domestic row. unquote

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41906203

alas, even from across the pond, firearm owners are being chastised by America's special interest groups...

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Per the article:
Between 2009 and 2016 there were 156 mass shootings in the United States, meaning incidents in which four or more people were shot and killed. In total, the attackers killed 848 people and left a further 339 with gunshot injuries.

Congressional Research Service Report for Congress https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43004.pdf
Defining Public Mass Shooting
Policy makers may confront numerous questions about shootings such as the December 2012 incident at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT, that claimed 27 lives (not including the shooter). Foremost, what are the parameters of this threat? How should it be defined? There is no broadly agreed-to, specific conceptualization of this issue, so this report uses its own definition for public mass shootings. These are incidents occurring in relatively public places, involving four or more deaths—not including the shooter(s)—and gunmen who select victims somewhat indiscriminately. The violence in these cases is not a means to an end—the gunmen do not pursue criminal profit or kill in the name of terrorist ideologies, for example.

One Measure of the Death Toll Exacted by Public Mass Shootings.
Applying this understanding of the issue, the Congressional Research Service (CRS) has identified 78 public mass shootings that have occurred in the United States since 1983. This suggests the scale of this threat and is intended as a thorough review of the phenomenon but should not be characterized as exhaustive or definitive. According to CRS estimates, over the last three decades public mass shootings have claimed 547 lives and led to an additional 476 injured victims. Significantly, while tragic and shocking, public mass shootings account for few of the murders or non-negligent homicides related to firearms that occur annually in the United States.
EVERYTOWN https://everytownresearch.org/reports/mass-shootings-analysis/
Everytown defines a mass shooting as an incident in which four or more people, not including the shooter, are killed with a firearm. The threshold of four fatalities—which is used by the majority of academics and organizations studying mass violence—is derived from a definition of mass murder used in a 2005 FBI report.2 Unless specifically noted, the casualty figures discussed below include only victims and not perpetrators who were also killed or injured.

]To identify the 156 mass shootings included in this analysis, Everytown pulled information from the FBI’s Supplementary Homicide Report and from media reports. Everytown then requested police and court records for each shooting. Researchers received official records for 76 shootings. If police or court records were unavailable, Everytown used media reports that were deemed reliable for additional case information.
Per EVERYTOWN:
The majority of mass shootings in the U.S. are related to domestic or family violence. In at least 54 percent of mass shootings (85), the perpetrator shot a current or former intimate partner or family member. These domestic violence mass shootings resulted in 422 victims being killed—more than 40 percent (181) of whom were children. A majority of these cases—56—also ended with the perpetrators killing themselves.
Four persons to define mass shootings is ridiculous. Domestic violence shootings is a different story. Lets conflate the numbers.

TotinMama

BBC quote

Every Town For Gun Safety, a campaign group, turned to the FBI's published data on these appalling crimes and analysed the histories of each attacker. It found that in 54% of the shootings the victims were current or former intimate partners or other family members.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41906203

So much wrong there, and yet my first thought is "if only we taught our daughter's to be as comfortable with guns and shooting as we do our sons maybe some portion of those men would think twice." And before I'm flamed, yes, I know the attacker could be a woman / victim could be a man.

WalkingWolf

Yea that's the ticket, let's take guns for SD away from victims of DV, because that is the end result of gun control. I ignore ET propaganda, because from experience as a officer I know that someone determined to harm their spouse will use any means. If not guns they will use knives, if not knives a blunt object, some even use vehicles. My first homicide was a young girl stabbed 17 times by her boyfriend, also my first autopsy. Two things work with DV, jail, and self defense.

solus

https://www.fbi.gov/about/partnerships/office-of-partner-engagement/active-shooter-resources

First, the
Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012, signed into law by the president in January 2013, permits the U.S. attorney general—at the request of appropriate state or local law enforcement personnel—to provide federal assistance during active shooter incidents and mass killings (defined by the law as three or more people) in public places.

now go do a google search of “definition of mass shooting” and look at the massive newspeek listing, including wiki, stating 4 or more or stating this is not defined!

six souls lost their lives on a highway in the flood waters while fleeing harvey...OMG a mass killing just occurred.

as previously stated, 2016 recorded 40,200 fatalities on this nation’s highways far more than killed in mass shootings yet vehicles are still on the roads driven by idiots.

the DV stats published by Violence Policy Center show tremendous data manipulation of the FBI’s data to show in 2015, 1,686 females killed by males, whom they knew, and only 266 were killed by husbands or intimate acquaintance during an argument!
http://www.vpc.org/studies/wmmw2017.pdf page 3.

sidebar: 2,129 women died in 1996!

Last edited:

solus

Yea that's the ticket, let's take guns for SD away from victims of DV, because that is the end result of gun control. I ignore ET propaganda, because from experience as a officer I know that someone determined to harm their spouse will use any means. If not guns they will use knives, if not knives a blunt object, some even use vehicles. My first homicide was a young girl stabbed 17 times by her boyfriend, also my first autopsy. Two things work with DV, jail, and self defense.

excellent points, but remember one thing, DV is a learned trait and 26 or 52 week psychoeducational group sessions does teach DV perpetrators to deal with the stressors associated with intimate relationship(s)!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Attorneys tell their client to enter a no contest plea and you will just get a slap on the wrist. OOOPS the attorney forgot to tell the guy he can't have guns anymore.

Many DV cases are revenge cases. Most DV laws are belief laws.

WalkingWolf

Attorneys tell their client to enter a no contest plea and you will just get a slap on the wrist. OOOPS the attorney forgot to tell the guy he can't have guns anymore.

Many DV cases are revenge cases. Most DV laws are belief laws.

Yes, and some men are learning to do the same to women. My wife had a girl friend several years ago that the boyfriend did it just out of spite. In the long run both of them lost their guns forever.