• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Free Speech at its finest

solus

05FD340D-C761-4E01-AFCF-5A0504E294C6.jpeg

for her act of free speech, she was fired...

Last edited:

gutshot II

Too bad that a few more employers haven't done the same thing. The NFL teams for instance. I can remember a few times when my "free speech" has gotten my face slapped and my ass whipped.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Did any government agent or agency exercise any prior restraint in her speech?
No.​

Did any government agent or agency take any actions of reprisal against her freedom of speech?
No.​

Does the First Amendment protect an individual from the private consequences of their speech?
No.​

This isn't a "First Amendment" issue.

1911LVR

No.​

Did any government agent or agency take any actions of reprisal against her freedom of speech?
No.​

Does the First Amendment protect an individual from the private consequences of their speech?
No.​

You are correct sir!

CJ4wd

No.​

No.​

No.​

Maybe YES. She worked for a government sub-contractor who were the ones that fired her. We don't know if anything was said to them.
As for the company firing her, I still fail to see how what she did could get her fired.
:confused:

Fallschirjmäger

Maybe YES. She worked for a government sub-contractor who were the ones that fired her. We don't know if anything was said to them.
As for the company firing her, I still fail to see how what she did could get her fired.
"Sub-contractor" is not the same as federal government, I worked for a company with a federal contract for a number of years; none of those paychecks were issued by Uncle Sam.

If she did not have a contract or union representation and were instead an "at will employee" as most workers are, her company had the legal authority for wearing the wrong color shirt to the office Christmas party if it so desired. "You made us look bad" is more than sufficient reason to let an employee go.

ETA:
Juli Briskman, 50, and a former marketing executive for Akima LLC (government contractor in Virginia) was let go by the company after she informed them that she had been photographed 'flipping off' the President and making the photo her profile picture on various media sites.
I suspect that had she not 'self-identified' by so prominently posting the picture of what would otherwise have been an unidentifiable woman that she would still be employed. All her troubles seem to be self-initiated.

Last edited:

F350

I absolutelyHATE these goody two shoes enforcing PC standards on students off campus, employees away from work etc.

BUT this was a Social Justice Warrior; so getting hoisted with her own petard seems rather fitting

Last edited by a moderator:

gutshot II

Doing anything that your "private" employer doesn't like can get you fired in most states unless your actions are covered in a labor contract or state/federal law. I know of no law that covers "flipping off" the President and apparrently she has no labor contract. Most employees can be fired for doing anything that might reflect badly on their employer.

KBCraig

View attachment 13378

for her act of free speech, she was fired...

She wasn't fired for her act of free speech.

She wasn't fired because this photo went viral.

She was fired for being stupid enough to identify herself as the person in the photo, and make it her Facebook profile pic in violation of her employer's clearly-stated social media policy.

CJ4wd

Previous post changed Color's post to a link to a junk site. The post MAY be SPAM.

Last edited by a moderator: