• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Force Science ~ New study links fatigue, police racial bias

solus

quote:
Police officers show significantly greater evidence of unconscious racial bias when they’re fatigued, according to a newly reported study by a researcher at Washington State U. in Spokane.

“When officers received less sleep preceding each test session, they were significantly more likely to associate Black Americans with weapons compared with when they had received more sleep. In other words, sleep restriction appeared to increase anti-Black bias,” writes Dr. Lois James, (solus comment: white female PHD in the nursing pgm) an assistant professor who conducted the study.

FINDINGS. Analyzing the results, James found that a strong majority of the officers tended to more quickly associate what they believed were weapons with black faces and were more often wrong in assessing innocuous objects as weapons when black faces were involved. These are considered valid indications of moderate to strong unconscious or “implicit” racial bias, she says.
A “large body” of similar findings have been reported from other studies as well. Indeed, implicit biases exist outside their conscious awareness “in people across many walks of life,” James writes.

IMPLICATIONS. “The findings that bias is variable and also that sleep restriction increased anti-Black bias have implications,” James writes.

Furthermore, if tired officers are more biased, then programs designed to improve officer sleep may have consequences beyond improving officer health.” Anti-bias training for police is needed, James writes. unquote FS news #349.

gee whiz, it is the 21st century and i wonder what this type of study done in the '60 which led to improved LE training would have resulted in those interactions between the nice LE's and the nation's ethnic communities these past 50 years.

interestingly:
2014: https://news.wsu.edu/2014/09/02/deadly-force-lab-finds-racial-disparities-in-shootings/
2016:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ults-may-surprise-you/?utm_term=.322c267413b7

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1745-9133.12187/abstract

kinda makes you wonder why it took the police advocacy group Force Science group 3 years to acknowledge the subject matter...guess they missed the black lives matter email :confused:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"The conventional thinking about police-involved shootings, and some scientific research, has been that black suspects are more likely to be shot than white suspects because of an implicit racial bias among police officers. But now a new study has found exactly the opposite: even with white officers who do have racial biases, officers are three times less likely to shoot unarmed black suspects than unarmed white suspects."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.322c267413b7

OC for ME

Harvard IAT disclaimer.
I am aware of the possibility of encountering interpretations of my IAT test performance with which I may not agree.
Shudda wrote...
We will interpret your IAT test performance to align with our preconceived biases.

Lois James, another pencil-neck working to justify her residency in The Ivory Tower.