• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

curious loophole...

utbagpiper

Banned
Your pistil is put away and not visible. How on earth does this then become a discussion start poit where your pistil is on the dashboard in plain view. Anyway, how would a employer know you have a pistol in the glove box.

A lot of do not know how to keep their mouths shut and want to brag about what they are getting away with.

Most people convict themselves.

Sometimes people believe they are in compliance with law when they are not and it bites them. See the recent thread about the Virginia school teacher with a gun locked the trunk of his car. It appears he messed up twice: Once by not knowing and complying with the technical aspects of the law; Again when he let students access his car and they found the gun.

I believe when it comes to firearms, especially firearms stored in a vehicle, a little prudence is always in order. Even the best car gun vault is, by design, highly mobile and most cars just are not that hard to steal and drive to a convenient location where thieves can take all the time with whatever tools they want, to get to the firearms. OTOH, if I'm in compliance with laws and employment policies, there shouldn't be a need to be highly secretive. There is nothing unusual about several people from my workplace going to the shooting range over lunch. We're not stopping by our homes on the way to and from the range; And from time to time we take a non-shooting co-working to his/her first time at the range.

This is in contrast to our situation before Utah passed parking lot preemption that protects private sector employees from adverse employment action for having a lawful firearm locked in their car in the company parking lot. Prior to passage of this law, private sector employees might face discipline or even termination for leaving a gun in their cars, parked in the company parking lot. Employees either did not go to the range during lunch, or if they did, they were obliged to be much more discreet about it, or they might feel compelled to say they had parked on the street rather than in the parking lot. No doubt a lot of employees did have guns in their cars in the parking lot, figuring they would take the fairly low risk of discovery in exchange for having the firearm for their commutes or after work errands. But they had to be a lot more cautious. Today, with the full force of law in their favor, discussions are more open. Even still, in a right to work State, at will employees are prudent not to paint a target on their own backs. So it isn't like any sensible employee makes a habit of rubbing HR's nose in the fact she might have a gun in her car.