• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shoots neighbor while trying to stop dog attack

Firearms Iinstuctor

One has to be very aware of what one is doing in a situation like this.

I have shot several wounded bears during season and under proper lic. that were mauling hounds that were not smart enough to stay out of the bears reach.

Nothing like running up to a 200 to 500 hundred pound bear that is fighting with the hounds and sticking ones 41 or 44 mag. pistol against the bears head/neck puling it back a few inches and pulling the trigger.

Get the adrenaline moving for sure.

One really needs to be aware of the angles so the pass through doesn't hit any of the hounds.

Same would apply to saving a human from an attacking animal.

MontanaResident

Terrible situation. Horrible accident. No need to double down and turn someone, trying to do the right thing, into a villain.

OC for ME

Cops are not in the right or wrong business...they are in the legal or illegal business. The prosecutor will carry the burden in this situation.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

I have shot several wounded bears during season and under proper lic. that were mauling hounds that were not smart enough to stay out of the bears reach.

Nothing like running up to a 200 to 500 hundred pound bear that is fighting with the hounds and sticking ones 41 or 44 mag. pistol against the bears head/neck puling it back a few inches and pulling the trigger.

One really needs to be aware of the angles so the pass through doesn't hit any of the hounds.

And even then accidents happen......

MontanaResident

Sounds simple sitting in front of a computer. Even my 25lbs dog can move at a furious rate, just playing dirty sock tug-a-war. A fight to the death? Dogs vs. Bear? Sounds like walking up and putting a pistol to the head of a bear might not be so simple.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Sounds simple sitting in front of a computer. Even my 25lbs dog can move at a furious rate, just playing dirty sock tug-a-war. A fight to the death? Dogs vs. Bear? Sounds like walking up and putting a pistol to the head of a bear might not be so simple.

I found shooting bears off of hounds to very exciting. I have done it several times.

Timing and accuracy is important one, just doesn't go blasting away at the bear.

The last wounded bear I shot fighting with the hounds I shot with my 44mag and 315gr hard cast at 5 feet. I ran up to the fight in a fairly thick ash swamp and knee deep water. The bear turned on me as I was closing in the hounds jumped off to the side. I shot the bear at the top of muzzle down wards trough the brain down the neck into chest.

The bear dropped dead right there good thing because after the shot I tripped into the water and had to recover before I could get the pistol back on the bear.

Fast accurate shooting can be do even at fairly small target hard to count the number of rounds I have fired at rabbits running through the brush with a hand gun. It was always fun to sneak around a prairie dog town and whack them also with handguns. Or when in a gavel pit get a small rock rolling down the bank and hitting several times while it was moving. Or shooting floating objects moving down a fast river with appropriate back stop.

Any of the above adds to one skill in hitting moving targets.

Good solid practice and trigger time.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

I found shooting bears off of hounds to very exciting. I have done it several times.

Timing and accuracy is important one, just doesn't go blasting away at the bear.

The last wounded bear I shot fighting with the hounds I shot with my 44mag and 315gr hard cast at 5 feet. I ran up to the fight in a fairly thick ash swamp and knee deep water. The bear turned on me as I was closing in the hounds jumped off to the side. I shot the bear at the top of muzzle down wards trough the brain down the neck into chest.

The bear dropped dead right there good thing because after the shot I tripped into the water and had to recover before I could get the pistol back on the bear.

Fast accurate shooting can be do even at fairly small target hard to count the number of rounds I have fired at rabbits running through the brush with a hand gun. It was always fun to sneak around a prairie dog town and whack them also with handguns. Or when in a gavel pit get a small rock rolling down the bank and hitting several times while it was moving. Or shooting floating objects moving down a fast river with appropriate back stop.

Any of the above adds to one skill in hitting moving targets.

Good solid practice and trigger time.

Glad you didn't miss that bear. :shocker:

Funny you should mention the rodents. Watched a few videos on YouTube of guys who would shoot rats and mice on or near farms with air guns (pest control meets Call of Duty). Looked like boatloads of fun, and couldn't help but think "wow, that's some good shootin' right there".

Firearms Iinstuctor

I forgot about rats when I was growing up we had open air dumps we spent many a evening shooting rats.

Here's a story of dump rat hunt. full story at link with pictures.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2016/05/wi-recond-rat-hunt-in-wisconsin-in-1957.html

A close friend and mentor revealed details of a world record rat hunt that he accomplished in 1957. It was casually mentioned, but as I showed interest, the details were clear and extraordinary. In the 1950's, dumps were unregulated in Wisconsin. It wasn't until the 1970's that sanitary regulations and increased affluence led to the end of dumps as breeding grounds for rats and other vermin. Hunting rats at dumps was a common pastime. I shot rats at dumps into the early 1970's. It helped keep the rat population down and increased hunting and shooting skills. My friend, as with many young men of the period, was an avid rat hunter.

My friend approached rat hunting with his usual rigor and intellect, determining how to obtain maximum returns for his effort. This lead to hunting rats at night with a headlight powered by a six volt Ray O Vac battery.

It was on the return from a night hunt with two hunting partners that he discovered the dump that was a rat hunter's Mecca. It wasn't far from his base of operations in Madison, Wisconsin.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Big Moe

I once petted Big Moe(16 ft hammerhead shark) while snorkeling off of Little Palm Island, but damn it I have no video...:uhoh:

WalkingWolf

Dogs, bears, and rats shot, sharks petted, all in one thread.

Supposedly Grandfather killed a grizzly in close embrace using a small caliber six-shooter.

Seems to me there was a hunter who killed a bear with a spear, but there was actual video of it. I will have to dig for it, it made a lot of tree huggers mad.

Always better when there is video. Still stupid, but at least documented, and the bear was clearly not angry.

[video=youtube;vVR4wFtRg74]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVR4wFtRg74[/video]

BTW my Grandpappy kilt one with a pen knife.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Born on a mountain in Tennessee
Greenest state in the land of the free
Raised in the woods so's he knew ev'ry tree
He kilt him a b'ar when he was only three
Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier!

Va_Nemo

Hail, I killed a dragon with a sock I pulled off my foot one time. He flew away so I did not get to kill him again for any more of his number 2-9 lives.

Nemo