• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just looking for info

jjnsao

I have a question.

Is it legal to open carry on a golf cart or four wheeler in Alabama ?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Tricky little question there.

On private property or state roads? With or w/o a permit?

Sure you will hear from some locals soon.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I have a question.
Is it legal to open carry on a golf cart or four-wheeler in Alabama?

I heard that there are recent changes to Alabama's laws (c. April 2017) so this may not be entirely up to date....
http://law.justia.com/codes/alabama/2014/title-13a/chapter-11/section-13a-11-75
Section 13A-11-75
Permit to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; fee; revocation; release of information.

(a)(1)a. The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, within 30 days from receipt of a complete application and accompanying fee, shall issue or renew a permit for such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his or her person within this state for one to five year increments, as requested by the person seeking the permit, from date of issue, unless the sheriff determines that the person is prohibited from the possession of a pistol or firearm pursuant to state or federal law, or has a reasonable suspicion that the person may use a weapon unlawfully or in such other manner that would endanger the person's self or others. In making such determination, the sheriff may consider whether the applicant:
It would appear from the above that an Alabama weapons license is required to carry (not 'transport') a pistol in a vehicle, including a golf cart or four-wheeler.

According to YellowHammerNews, the Alabama Senate has passed a bill eliminating the requirement for a concealed license, but to the best of my knowlege it has not yet been passed by the Alamama House of Representatives and is not yet in force.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

If you are on private land, no permit is required. If you are on public roads, no matter what the vehicle, a permit is required. I even have to have a permit to carry if I'm on my bicycle.

added: Yes, the bill was introduced and passed the Senate. The House Speaker kept it from being introduced in the House and it died in committee. I am assured that the bill will again be filed for the next legislative session.
The trouble is that we have the adamant opposition of both the Alabama Sheriffs' Association and the Fraternal Order of Police and too many former LE who have maintained close ties with both ASA and the Fraternal Order of Police.

Last edited: