• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disguishing a LEGAL vs. ILLEGAL open carry individuals?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
uh, er, gee, i mean...that bulge you saw isn't my gun...:shocker:
This is my [strike]rifle[/strike] pistol. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my gun; ......... This is for fighting ; this is for fun.

Last edited:

HPmatt

......I wish we could get them to wear a sign or something. Maybe signs saying "Illegally Armed Individual" or "Illegal OC in Progress" might help identify these persons.
They w/b wearing an ‘Open Carrier’ police style badge clipped to their belt....

HPmatt

So, the rule of thumb for Texas LEO is that unless a person has $1500 to spend on his firearm and its accessories and more to spend on his attire, he should be rousted, ID'ed and checked out completely, and you agree with that policy because your experience is that "law abiding citizens" look like that. The lower income working man is suspicious and needs to be investigated, especially if he has some dirt under his fingernails. Is that about it?

You sir must be pretty familiar with the Lone Star State and know the difference between cops that work in North Dallas and those that work within a 100 mile radius of Houston...

Wstar425

So, the rule of thumb for Texas LEO is that unless a person has $1500 to spend on his firearm and its accessories and more to spend on his attire, he should be rousted, ID'ed and checked out completely, and you agree with that policy because your experience is that "law abiding citizens" look like that. The lower income working man is suspicious and needs to be investigated, especially if he has some dirt under his fingernails. Is that about it?

You read a lot more into this than I did......

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While I do not think that people should be judged by their appearance, that is often the only critera that some consider. To them, we are what they perceive us to be.

Rules of behavior are more important IMHO.

We had such rules at the dinner table when I was a child - they carried forward in later life with the design to show yourself in the best light.

1 - No elbows on the table and sit up straight.
2 - Don't talk with food in your mouth
3 - No desert unless you eat your vegetables.
4 - Take only what you are going to eat and eat what you take. Waste not, want not.
5 - No playing with your guns at the table.*

*You do remember Kilgore caps doncha?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=kilgore+caps
No pistol in those days had the orange/red plug on the barrel.

Last edited: