• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Older case finally correctly termed self-defense

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I like the decision to NOT Prosecute. I don't like that instead of saying the homeowner was JUSTIFIED the prosecutor said that he didn't think he could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the home owner violated the law!
From the article:
The Knox County District Attorney has reviewed this matter and said “Had this case gone to trial, the evidence would have raised issues related to self-defense and defense of premises. The standard of proof in criminal cases is proof beyond a reasonable doubt, and I do not believe that we can meet that burden in this case.”
This is what the problem is, prosecutors don't care about justice. They only care about convictions. Can I convict this guy? It is irrelevant that the resident was justified in self defence. What is relevant is if there are some fabricated facts that can be twisted to support a successful prosecution.

Most prosecutors have Nifong disorder.

countryclubjoe

From the article:
This is what the problem is, prosecutors don't care about justice. They only care about convictions. Can I convict this guy? It is irrelevant that the resident was justified in self defence. What is relevant is if there are some fabricated facts that can be twisted to support a successful prosecution.

Most prosecutors have Nifong disorder.

+1000000

If all the over zealous Nifongs in the country were disbarred and possibly sued and or arrested under color of law violations, the justice system would be held at a higher ethical bar..

My .02