• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling from Mass to alaska

Dcrapo1289

Okay so, I am heading to Alaska and a couple of weeks and I would like to transport a firearm with me. I have talked to the TSA and the airline and they don't give you much information. Here's what I want to do.

The part of Alaska I'm going to is Bear Country so that means I'm bringing a firearm for our hikes. In Massachusetts it is legal to carry someone else's gun as long as its mass compliant and your license to do so. I was planning I'm borrowing my friends Smith & Wesson 500 seeing as how it is a bear sidearm. Can this be done flying? Does the TSA prohibit this?

Other things it's not 100% clear is the case. The Smith & Wesson it has a 6-inch barrel so it has a large case. It's hard plastic and has two locking loops. The website said that it had to be in a hard-sided case. Is the large Factory Smith & Wesson case adequate.

Alaska being a constitutional carry state all I can find on their websites says if you're lawfully able to carry it elsewhere you're lawfully able to carry it in Alaska. Thoughts

wabbit

Welcome to the premier nationally recognized Open Carry site.

Just so i understand, you're borrowing a very hi power, short barreled firearm, one i presume you are not familar with nor have ever shot, to take to AK to protect yourseff on your planned hikes because it is bear country and the gun you are borrowing 'is a bear sidearm'!

a further concept to consider, you are providing the airline two opportunities to lose the firearm and yourself a whole bunch of opportunities to misuse, lose, leave it someplace, and otherwise worry over the care and feeding of said firearm while on holiday.

might i suggest you forgo the opportunity to borrow, transport, store in AK, transport, and hopefully return the 'bear sidearm' and just enjoy your vacation with your family and friends and take a holiday from protector.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

I suspect it is suitable, since it is a hard case that can be locked and when closed & locked would prevent being pried open to remove the firearm, but I'd check with S&W about the case, they can likely tell you if it is airline-approved.

I'd also suggest using a cable to secure the case to the frame of the piece of luggage you plan on putting the gun case into, to help keep it from wandering off.

As far as I know, the TSA has no rule regarding the ownership of the firearm, if you legally possess it, you can legally transport it.

I don't know enough about Alaska firearms law to say one way or the other, but it seems unlikely they would have a restriction like that, few states do.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

TSA link

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Put any ammo you take into an OEM type cardboard or plastic box. If the case is large enough, you may put it in with the handgun.
YOU are the only one with a key or combination, not the airline or TSA.
Expect to be directed to an office or special area to pick up your bag on arrival; these bags get special handling to prevent loss.

A link to cases: https://www.monoprice.com/search/in...oof&brandname=Monoprice&itemsort=salepriceasc

United's policy on ammo:

No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried.
The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
The ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers.
The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.
Loaded ammunition magazines or clips must be removed from the firearm, and must be securely packed in boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition and must fit over any exposed ends of the magazine or clip.

Dcrapo1289

This is a firearm that i have been shooting for the past 10 years, I am very unfamiliar with the gun. I would never carry anything i am unfamiliar with as means of protection. I thought about not taking anything at all, but my friend whom i am visiting strongly advises against it. She herself has been confronted twice. Once was able to scare it off with loud noises and a shot to the ground, and once unarmed had to run like a bastard.

We all carry guns not expecting to be attacked, but to defend ourselves in it does happen. I am transfusing the same principals to Alaska. Im not looking to get in a fight with a bear, i would much rather scare it off.

So the hard case will be fine as long as it is locked. Is there any conflict carrying someone else's gun? As i said in Liberal Massachusetts it is legal, but in terms of travel i just want to be sure.

Jared

In Massachusetts it is legal to carry someone else's gun as long as its mass compliant and your license to do so.

It's legal to carry any lawfully acquired firearm. It's a myth that Mass has a compliance list for possession. The list is for dealer sales only. I've carrying countless of "non compliant" handguns in Mass.

johnfenter

For future reference...

To avoid the circus that is Logan TSA and the Logan Airport Police/BPD annoyance about FID cards, drive up to Manchester airport with a friend in the car (they can drive it back to avoid insane airport long-term parking costs), and fly from there. Check-in with a firearm is much less hassle; I've done it several times. It's worth the extra time...