• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater Richmond OC reports

Brian D.

And, I just happened to notice that today is Grapeshot's birthday. Didn't know the man, but if this had been "my" thread, I'd want y'all to keep it going after my departure. And, think about me a little bit on my birthday.

riverrat10k

With my apologies to Double Tap for the delay...

Saturday 11/10 was the day a lunch meet-up was scheduled at River City Diner to honor and remember our fallen friends Peter Nap, Skidmark, and now Grapeshot. I was determined to make this an "all OC everywhere day" in honor of my friends. It was also the day of the Richmond Marathon and the course goes right past my house! If I don't make arrangements, I am stuck in my home from about 9 to around 11. No vehicles allowed.

About 8:30, I moved my car the two blocks to the escape route and walked back to get wifies car. She had to work, at 11 I believe. As I walked back past my corner where the Richmond Police officer was stationed for traffic control, he asked me what I was carrying. I raised the E-cig device in my left hand and asked "You mean this? E-vaping device." No he said motioning toward my hip. I responded "Oh, .40cal Beretta" and continued into my driveway. He said "Nothing wrong with that."

Drove Mrs. Riverrat's car to the escape point and again walked past the officer who had been joined by a female officer in an unmarked car. She may have been the one who threatened me with arrest a few years ago when wife and I were a few minutes late leaving during the marathon. Wasn't sure and did not inquire.

By 9, the leaders had passed, and the rest of the body nazis were coming hard. I needed to go to bank so left and walked past the huffing and puffing mass of humanity to the car, OC'ing in front of literally hundreds. Did my banking, indifferently carrying; I think Grapeshot used the same bank and may have changed after they became pissy about OC.

Walked back to the house through the now howling, barking, crying and hallucinating horde, collected a rake, and started raking leaves in my front yard, still OC'ing. Hundreds staggering past.

Walked my wife to her car, kissed her goodbye and wished her a good day. Walked through the now hysterical throng back to the house to shower and get ready for lunch.

Now cleaner in body if not in mind, stopped for fuel at Wawa and headed over to River City Diner for lunch. Food was good, I enjoyed seeing everyone. I had hoped more would attend.

Back home, collected my fuzzy doggy and went OC'ing to Lowes as I had broken a key off in a lock earlier that morning. No issues at all. After that on to Food Line (although their service has been much better lately due to competition from Publix). I think they are getting used to me there.

Think that is about it for the OC day. It did remind me of times past hanging out with Peter, Skid, and Grape at public events and festivals. It has been some time since so many people, including leo's, had seen me open carrying. Overall, I would call it a successful day of advocacy.

But I do miss my friends.

riverrat

edit to add: hope to see folks at the O'Charleys on Gaskins this afternoon at 4, to celebrate what would have been Grapeshots 80th birthday yesterday. Munchies and birthday cake will be available in the event room.

Last edited:

kennys

Within the last week Oc'ed Wal-Mart Mechanicsville, Food lion Mechanicsville, Kroger Mechanicsville, Cracker Barrel Mechanicsville, Green top, Key Kopy Safe and Lock Mechanicsville, Staples Mechanicsville. Wawa Mechanicsville No issues.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Within the last week Oc'ed Wal-Mart Mechanicsville, Food lion Mechanicsville, Kroger Mechanicsville, Cracker Barrel Mechanicsville, Green top, Key Kopy Safe and Lock Mechanicsville, Staples Mechanicsville. Wawa Mechanicsville No issues.
Be very careful with Kroger. They do not honor their policy.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I seen a few people carrying in there without issue also, will keep it in mind though.
I'm sure you have. The problem is that Kroger does NOT train their employees company policy. All of a sudden you are face to face with cops and you are arrested for trespass. And, yes it has happened at Kroger.

DoubleTap

This morning I spent a good while re-reading posts on this thread- going back to when it was re-established after mysteriously disappearing (back in summer of 2017). My beloved Grapeshot posted SO much...... daily........about his outings, interactions, educating people, ETC. He was so amazing and contributed tremendously (beyond words) to this forum. Not only as a moderator, but as an activist for the right to carry. His postings were a true testament to the objectives of this site.

In honor of the three musketeers (Paul and Don), who were all so very active, please take time to post your experiences, and I dare say, to start ocing whenever you can (that is something I fall very short on). There's no doubt, you have stories to share....would love to hear about them.

On another matter, this weekend is the Lebanese Food Festival at St. Anthonys Church, 4611 Sadler Road, Glen Allen, VA. (near Innsbrook). Dale and I frequented it over the years and there were never any issues with ocing. He LOVED lebanese food. If you have never been, you should take a drive out there. It's awesome!!

Also, while its on my mind, we haven't heard from Riverrat (Mike) in a long time. Has anyone out there seen or heard from him?

P. S. Tazdad, it was really good to see your post......you have definitely been away for a long time, and have been missed. We hope to see you at a dinner soon.

Have a great weekend!

DoubleTap

hlh1

Good morning Double Tap! Yes, I started this thread about 14 years ago and we had around 400 pages of OC stories. When my account was somehow deleted we lost this thread and everything else that I had started. Dale had added much to this thread over the years.

Marco

I was recently in Richmond (Cabela's) with no issues, after we(me and my 7yo daughter) went to grand opening of the medical center next door.
To my surprise still no issue, we got there after the main events but plenty of staff etc... the VSP officer there didn't make any issue of the fact I was carrying.

DoubleTap

Lee, I had no idea (or simply just don't recall) that you started this thread...and to think it was over 14 years ago! Unreal. Such a shame that all of those posts disappeared. You started something really great....and it continues!

Wolfhound and Marco, so good to read your posts.

Wolfhound, try to make it to one of the OC dinners (other than just the annual one at Traks;)) Hope I have the right person. lol. Don't have issues with "real" names - different story with screen names!

And Marco, glad you had a good OC day here in Richmond. Cabela's is a great place! Dale and I were there not too long before his passing. He had his usual fun, decided to use one of those electric scooter things, and rolled around that store like a mad man! ha. He always knew how to have fun. That was my first time there. I actually opened up a credit card there to get a discount on a few purchases that day. Right after that, I cut that credit card up - knowing that it might just be too convenient to shop there. That place is AWESOME.
Try to make it one of the OC dinners. They are always so enjoyable.

On another note, still haven't heard about River Rat. I sent him a text message, and havent had a response. If anyone else knows how to reach out to him, please do. Im sure he's probably just busy, but its been a long time since we've seen him.

Have a happy OC or CC day with all of this rain!

DT:giggle:

The Wolfhound

Nice encounter at Staples in Short Pump. Dropped in for some specialized target printing and admin supplies for a class and "Nice Sigg you have there" "Its not a Sigg" Thus started a very satisfying conversation that lead me to share some of my favorite online ammo sites. Very friendly reception.