• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to do Now?

Papapowell

This past February I received a Certificate of Good Conduct covering a 30 year old class A misdemeanor/class E felony occurrence; from my understanding neither carried a sentence of anywhere near more than a year. I did see 60 days in county, which was unheard of for a first time offense of pety larceny and B&E. Anyway, at the end of this past March, with Certificate in possesion for only a month, a friend wanted to give me and my boys a couple of long guns to hunt with. The transfer of ownership was denied by NICS. I immediately appealed online AND by fax with copies of all the paperwork and a fingerprint card done by the local State Police. I received the obligatory response to the denial but nothing else yet. All this to ask: should I just sit and wait for the eons that it could be or would more attempts to purchase a gun spark more background checks; allowing the right's awarding paperwork to catch up?

In Unarmed Limbo

solus

from the official website of the city of ny, quote:

You can get a Certificate of Good Conduct or Certificate of Relief. If you have a criminal record, these certificates can help you reduce legal barriers to employment, voting, and housing. Whether a Certificate of Relief or a Certificate of Good Conduct is more appropriate for you depends on your criminal record. unquote http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/service/1347/certificate-of-good-conduct-relief-or-disposition

from the website of Legal Action Center ~ https://lac.org/contact-us/

quote: These two Certificates can help you get jobs, housing, and other benefits even though you have a criminal record. unquote https://lac.org/faqs/

quote: Note: Certificates of Relief and Certificates of Good Conduct cannot restore gun rights to individuals convicted of a Class A-I felony offense or a violent felony offense.
unquote. https://lac.org/faqs/

it would appear you were mislead regarding the benefits of a good conduct certification and it appears you now need to get the advice of a local attorney well versed in NY firearm law.

ipse

countryclubjoe

This past February I received a Certificate of Good Conduct covering a 30 year old class A misdemeanor/class E felony occurrence; from my understanding neither carried a sentence of anywhere near more than a year. I did see 60 days in county, which was unheard of for a first time offense of pety larceny and B&E. Anyway, at the end of this past March, with Certificate in possesion for only a month, a friend wanted to give me and my boys a couple of long guns to hunt with. The transfer of ownership was denied by NICS. I immediately appealed online AND by fax with copies of all the paperwork and a fingerprint card done by the local State Police. I received the obligatory response to the denial but nothing else yet. All this to ask: should I just sit and wait for the eons that it could be or would more attempts to purchase a gun spark more background checks; allowing the right's awarding paperwork to catch up?

In Unarmed Limbo

Seek counsel, there may be a statute of limitation on said negative record.. Best of luck.

Regards
CCJ

Papapowell

Hey , Thanks ya'll, for the responses and the good thoughts! Still in a bit of a vague place though as the "Certificate of good Conduct", which I know differs in a better way than a C.of R. states, in bold letters: "The right to apply to own/possess handgun(s) and long gun(s) is hereby restored." Seems pretty simple, but, then again; we are dealing with the home of red tape and paper bogs.

patience IS a virtue; right?

solus

Hey , Thanks ya'll, for the responses and the good thoughts! Still in a bit of a vague place though as the "Certificate of good Conduct", which I know differs in a better way than a C.of R. states, in bold letters: "The right to apply to own/possess handgun(s) and long gun(s) is hereby restored." Seems pretty simple, but, then again; we are dealing with the home of red tape and paper bogs.

query, is this what it says on the piece of paper you are holding in your hand right now?

or something from the internet, if the internet do you have a cite?

ipse

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran

That seems pretty darn straight forward. I wish I knew more about the process to help. :(

Papapowell

Still Hangin . . . . ?

So, any more wisdom out there? Since I have, in my hands, what states that my rights to own and possess have been restored, was it just too early for me to try the transfer of ownership i.e.; a gun purchase, that the paper work hadn't caught up? Since I've appealed the denial online and through faxing all the necessary "stuff", should I try rebooting the NICS database with more attempts to purchase to see if "things" catch up?

Anyone?

Still in unarmed limbo

JustaShooter

Since I have, in my hands, what states that my rights to own and possess have been restored, was it just too early for me to try the transfer of ownership i.e.; a gun purchase, that the paper work hadn't caught up?

Most likely.

Since I've appealed the denial online and through faxing all the necessary "stuff", should I try rebooting the NICS database with more attempts to purchase to see if "things" catch up?

I would not recommend it, although it is unlikely to do any harm it is also unlikely to achieve any useful result. You aren't even at 3 months since your rights were restored, and as I recall from other conversations I'd expect it to take 3 to 6 months. Of course, your appeal probably won't be complete by then, so you may want to try before that - say, around the 3 month / 100 day mark.

Va_Nemo

I would not make another attempt to purchase.

You have been denied and have the appeal process/correction method going on. As far as the govt considers, as of now you are still prohibited and will be until they realize their error and grant your correction on the record.

The record it the key. A purchase when you are prohibited is bad and can lead to criminal prosecution.

Wait.

Nemo