• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Discharging Firearm - Indianapolis

ICBM

Anyone here KNOW the laws for discharging a firearm in Indianapolis? Apparently, this is not as cut and dry as I thought.

I did some research and found this thread.

According to the poster, the law on the books prohibits discharge within the "Indianapolis Special Police District" which is fancy lingo for the OLD city limits (pre-"unigov").

Some lawmaker tried to expand the law a few years back to the entire consolidated county, by it failed to pass.

Apparently you still COULD get busted for "criminal recklessness" or something along those lines, depending on where and how you shoot.

ICBM

Update:

I found of the old Indianapolis city limits in 1956 on another boards thread[/URL]. Disregard. See my next post.

I'm not sure if the limits changed between 1956 and 1975, and I will continue looking into it.

I was kayaking a couple weeks back on the White River, and at the top of the map where you see the river loop back onto the map, there is an island (not shown) where I found about 50 - 100 shotgun rounds on its NE bank. Apparently someone else has the same idea...

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Could be some water fowl hunters could have found a honey hole.

I personally don't like to leave that kind of evidence around plus it is just plain trashy. Did you noticed any markings on the cases.

Could be a indicator what they were doing

ICBM

Indianapolis Police Special Police District / Pre-Unigov city limits map

I have found the limits of the Police Special Service District / Pre-UniGov city limits (they match exactly) on MapIndy.

You need to go to the blue tool bar at the bottom and select the "Zoning Map", then go to the "More..." button at the top right, click the small grey triangle next to "Zoning" to expand the layer list, then scroll down to "Old City of Indianapolis Legal Limits", select and voila! :dude: