• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What does Constitutional Carry Mean? Is the NRA mucking this up on purpose?

Thundar

What does Constitutional Carry Mean?

Most who have been here and have argued for it for years would say constitutional carry is the ability to carry openly or concealed without a permit or license.

The very helpful boot licking people at the NRA have introduced the term "Constitutional Concealed Carry" Which is a not so cleverly disguised P4P term to which they now attach the term reciprocity.

Language matters. Recognizing the validity of permission slips from other sovereigns is not the same as not requiring a permission slip to carry in the first place. Predicating this permission slip recognition scheme on only concealed carry does significant damage to open carry. We know the NRA understands the importance of language. Is this yet another NRA plot to denigrate the open carry right in favor of the concealed carry privilege? It sure smells like it.

Here is the link to Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/446/text

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

WalkingWolf

They have to hurry before Norman makes it's way to SCOTUS. Considering what has been laid down by Scalia, and previous judges it is not hard to see how that will come out. No permit OC is bad for the NRA bottom line.

I believe once the case makes it's way up the food chain, not only will OC prevail, it will clearly be a right without fees.

Freedom1Man

They have to hurry before Norman makes it's way to SCOTUS. Considering what has been laid down by Scalia, and previous judges it is not hard to see how that will come out. No permit OC is bad for the NRA bottom line.

I believe once the case makes it's way up the food chain, not only will OC prevail, it will clearly be a right without fees.

I am looking for no permission required to exercise the right to carry.

Wait, if permission can be required, then it is not a right.

countryclubjoe

I am looking for no permission required to exercise the right to carry.

Wait, if permission can be required, then it is not a right.

+1

True rights should not require permission slips... The G turned said right into a "privilege"..

My .02

countryclubjoe

Please cite a universal assertion of the "right to vote." There is no natural law right to vote. There is no constitutional right to vote. The several states do try to make voting/enfranchisement required within their jurisdiction.

The various COTUS Amendments refer to a hypothetical 'right' never made explicit.

Bearing arms is a Constitutional right. The natural law right is to life and defense of life and to self-defense.

Political liberty(17th c) A person's freedom to participate in the operation of Government, especially, in elections and in the making and administration of laws.. See Black's law 9th pg 1002

Night, while not specifically mentioned in the constitution, I would argue that the right to vote is established under the 9th amendment as an unalienable right, similar to the right to privacy... See Griswold v Connecticut... Personally I believe we need more study of the 9TH amendment, the amendment that I call the forgotten amendment..

Please correct any spelling errors and reply in kind.

My .02

F350

What does Constitutional Carry Mean?

The very helpful boot licking people at the NRA have introduced the term "Constitutional Concealed Carry" Which is a not so cleverly disguised P4P term to which they now attach the term reciprocity.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

I let my NRA membership expire after the helpful folks there stepped in and forced the Missouri voter referendum on concealed carry when CCW was on it's way through the legislature.

Every time I start thinking about rejoining they pull crap like this; call it what it is permit reciprocity; do not commandeer another term and dilute what that other term really means. Constitutional carry means by authority of the creator, a God given right guaranteed by the constitution (the constitution grants NO rights, it guarantees the natural rights to be free of governmental interference).

since9

Campaign Veteran
Voting is a right. Bearing a firearm is a right. If the slightest impediment to voting, such as simply requiring an identification document, is an infringement upon the right to vote (according to the Democrats), then why are all the impediments to bearing a firearm that those same Democrats want to impose not an equal infringement on the right to bear firearms as they would be if they were applied to voting?

Apples and oranges. There is nothing in the Constitution nor any amendment to the Constitution which states "the right of the people to vote shall not be infringed."

countryclubjoe

I let my NRA membership expire after the helpful folks there stepped in and forced the Missouri voter referendum on concealed carry when CCW was on it's way through the legislature.

Every time I start thinking about rejoining they pull crap like this; call it what it is permit reciprocity; do not commandeer another term and dilute what that other term really means. Constitutional carry means by authority of the creator, a God given right guaranteed by the constitution (the constitution grants NO rights, it guarantees the natural rights to be free of governmental interference).

+1--- I call it" the constitution of the Universe"-- Created and bestowed by the creator unto his people..
The founders postulated this theory/this truth in the 9th Amendment...
My .02
Regards
CCJ

utbagpiper

Banned
Apples and oranges. There is nothing in the Constitution nor any amendment to the Constitution which states "the right of the people to vote shall not be infringed."

Not in such a single, concise statement. But in total--for better or worse--the 15th, 17th, 19th, 23rd, 24th, and 26th Amendments have all but created a universal right for citizens to vote.

Exactly which matters go to popular vote vs which are decided by legislative bodies is not clearly defined constitutionally in most cases. But it seems clear there is a well accepted, universal right to vote in this nation. Minors and GOP-leaning Felons and non-citizens, notwithstanding. :)

since9

Campaign Veteran
Not in such a single, concise statement. But in total--for better or worse--the 15th, 17th, 19th, 23rd, 24th, and 26th Amendments have all but created a universal right for citizens to vote.

Exactly which matters go to popular vote vs which are decided by legislative bodies is not clearly defined constitutionally in most cases. But it seems clear there is a well accepted, universal right to vote in this nation. Minors and GOP-leaning Felons and non-citizens, notwithstanding. :)

Oh, I agree with you on this point, a key element of which is the word, "citizens." :)