• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

arrested for open carry in police station

solus

then copy your initial rant, delete your initial rant from under my post and i will delete my rebuttal...

repost you initial post and life is good...

fair?

watch the screen...my cranky post about your cranky post under my newspeek blase post is gone!

ipse

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

I agree with both of the statements in bold text above, but that is a strawman. The question is not whether the actions were "reckless", "designed to draw attention and a response" or "irresponsible". The question is, was it illegal? I would have never done anything like this, because it is stupid and makes gun owners look stupid and reckless, but is it a matter for police action and arrest? I am not familiar with Michigan law, so I guess I'll have to rely on those that are, but so far, nobody is asking that question. Everybody is too busy getting on the band wagon and condemning the actions, which I agree are egregious, to address the real issue. The overreach of government is usually accompanied by some side issue that they use to justify an action that has no basis in law and they use the outrage over that side issue as a substitute for the rule of law. Not every outrageous or reckless act is illegal. Notice my signature line below, about "necessity".
Absolutely.

In Ohio open carry in Ohio government buildings is legal, with some exceptions. Some insist otherwise, but they can't grasp the law. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...t-CC-legally&p=2209063&viewfull=1#post2209063 I have open carried in Ohio gov. buildings with notice. In other words you need to educate your local officials before proceeding forward. And yes, you can't fix stupid.

Michigander

Masks? Had I been there I would have assumed the worst and ...

Just plain stupid.

That's the thing about assumptions. They don't work so well.

The cops KNEW they were coming, because they had told them at the traffic stop they came to complain about in the first place, where they would have known from LEIN all about them, and the fact that they likely would inspire an activist response by ******* with them outside of the bounds of Terry. The mask/hat and exposed body armor were bad ideas, and I will say so eagerly, but that doesn't excuse the actions of the cops who KNEW WHO THEY WERE AND THAT THEY WERE COMING.

Go back to 2009, and they pulled an AR15 on theszerdi for carrying his 1911. They have never been a department worthy of trust.

Last edited:

solus

i notice with interest the videographers, news, etc., haven't stated what the circumstances were surrounding their allegedly traffic stop circumstances...

these circumstances that almost got them shot.

ipse

added:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/07/us/dearborn-open-carry-arrest/

Updated 7:24 PM ET, Tue February 7, 2017
Dearborn police said they first encountered the pair early Sunday afternoon when officers went to a shopping district to investigate a report of two suspicious men in a vehicle wearing tactical masks. The men left the area before police arrived.

A short time later, a Dearborn sergeant on patrol spotted the two men in their vehicle at a nearby park. The sergeant conducted a traffic stop and found that the men were dressed in tactical vests. The passenger, who was wearing a mask that covered his face, refused to speak to police, authorities said.

The sergeant let the two go after a brief preliminary investigation. But the pair wasn't done with police.

Last edited:

Michigander

i notice with interest the videographers, news, etc., haven't stated what the circumstances were surrounding their allegedly traffic stop circumstances...

these circumstances that almost got them shot.

ipse

I don't believe they were ever drawn on during the traffic stop, though I could be wrong.

solus

I don't believe they were ever drawn on during the traffic stop, though I could be wrong.

didn't say they were...however, the traffic stop(s) led to their conviction to visit the dearborn PD headquarters where, listening to their audio on the video, they had weapons drawn on them...

ipse

onus

People, including the police, seem stuck on this "mask" issue. So lets consider how many shootings have taken place where the shooter was masked ? We have over 38,000 shootings per year in America.....how many of the shooters were masked ?
Also, the police knew these two individuals and knew that one of them is always masked.
If these two men had good lawyers and went before a jury I don't believe they would ever be convicted.

Fallschirjmäger

That's the thing about assumptions. They don't work so well.

The cops KNEW they were coming, because they had told them at the traffic stop they came to complain about in the first place, where they would have known from LEIN all about them, and the fact that they likely would inspire an activist response by ******* with them outside of the bounds of Terry. The mask/hat and exposed body armor were bad ideas, and I will say so eagerly, but that doesn't excuse the actions of the cops who KNEW WHO THEY WERE AND THAT THEY WERE COMING.

Well the police department knew what what they Said they were doing, but that doesn't mean that's why they were really coming, does it? I wouldn't put it beyond someone intending harm to ... well.. LIE about their intentions in an attempt to allay suspicion and gain the element of surprise.

The police did well not to just assume that the youths were innocent, especially when they were doing everything in their power to make themselves look suspicious.

2OLD2W8

No laws were violated. Emotions and delicate sensibilities are strangling our individual civil rights.

Last edited:

solus

People, including the police, seem stuck on this "mask" issue. So lets consider how many shootings have taken place where the shooter was masked ? We have over 38,000 shootings per year in America.....how many of the shooters were masked ?
Also, the police knew these two individuals and knew that one of them is always masked.
If these two men had good lawyers and went before a jury I don't believe they would ever be convicted.

discount the mask, should we discount the body armor? or shall we discount one was heavily armed? i know let's discount these idiots walked into a police station masked, wearing body armor, and one was heavily armed...oh ya...and supposed legal!

please, squander your hard earned $$$$ and contribute to these idiots, even the one whose always masked, legal defence to assure they won't be convicted...

btw, according to the CDC...in 2014 there were 81k non fatal gunshot injuries in America...i am sure that included the act Fayettville police chief's AD in her left arm!

dearborn almost had +2 for 2017... your call which column to put them in...fatalities or Non-fatal

ipse

solus

Well the police department knew what what they Said they were doing, but that doesn't mean that's why they were really coming, does it? I wouldn't put it beyond someone intending harm to ... well.. LIE about their intentions in an attempt to allay suspicion and gain the element of surprise.

The police did well not to just assume that the youths were innocent, especially when they were doing everything in their power to make themselves look suspicious.

both were adults...24 & 40

ipse

2OLD2W8

discount the mask, should we discount the body armor? or shall we discount one was heavily armed? i know let's discount these idiots walked into a police station masked, wearing body armor, and one was heavily armed...oh ya...and supposed legal!

please, squander your hard earned $$$$ and contribute to these idiots, even the one whose always masked, legal defence to assure they won't be convicted...

btw, according to the CDC...in 2014 there were 81k non fatal gunshot injuries in America...i am sure that included the act Fayettville police chief's AD in her left arm!

dearborn almost had +2 for 2017... your call which column to put them in...fatalities or Non-fatal

ipse

Yes, discount it all! Freedom comes with a cost. I for one am willing to shoulder that cost and to allow my "lawful" fellow American citizens to be free; including the slow ones!

Last edited:

solus

Yes, discount it all! Freedom comes with a cost. I for one am willing to shoulder that cost and to allow my "lawful" fellow American citizens to be free; including the slow ones!

then, a fool & his $$$ are soon parted...start the gofund me so an attorney can pocket the donations...

remember, it is lawful to shout fire in the theater also...

ipse

Fallschirjmäger

Contempt of Cop... people are charged daily with erroneous crap by frustrated bigoted cops. Throw the book at them and see if something sticks. You didn't know that?:lol:
Okay, so let me see if I have this right...
Someone, openly armed, wearing body armor and concealing his identity enters your place of business and your first reaction would be to.... ask if they were being served?

I work at a range/gun shop, if someone entered my place like that I probably wouldn't have been as restrained as the officers.