• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Birmingham Museum of Art

Tess

Founder's Club Member
As a visitor to Alabama, I read through the relevant code sections, checked handgunlaw.us, and verified whether "signs have the force of law" in Alabama. Checked preemption laws, and checked museum ownership. Then we went to the Birmingham Museum of Art, which is owned by the City, and found it was posted.

Because I'm just visiting and not willing to be a test case, I locked my firearm in the car safe.

I did a search in this forum and didn't find anything. How is the City doing this? Aren't they preempted?

jbird

Tess,
The Birmingham city council believes they are above state law on occasion. There are a few exceptions allowed under the law. If they have controlled access through the use of barriers, metal detectors and armed guards posted, they can ban carry on site. I can't remember the number of the code section off hand.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Tess,
The Birmingham city council believes they are above state law on occasion. There are a few exceptions allowed under the law. If they have controlled access through the use of barriers, metal detectors and armed guards posted, they can ban carry on site. I can't remember the number of the code section off hand.

Thank you I think your first statement is probably most telling. Yes, there are barriers and guards (but not armed as I could tell) Likely it's much more political, as in an entity deciding the legislature "couldn't have meant me".

I'm active in Virginia, but just here on a visit and not prepared to fight the fight. I will likely address it, simply because it's an issue of importance to me, with City and state legislators after I return home.

Appreciate the response. Just thought I'd check. And I have to admit, because I'm visiting relatives who are iffy at best about carry, I'm pretty much concealing this weekend.