• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Reciprocity Momentum Builds

OC for ME

I suspect that NYC (Sullivan Act) and other localities will continue their anti-liberty ways regardless of what the feds have said, or what congress may say.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
This is a good example of someone not having any understand of the second amendment.

Where in this bill does it say that the justice department is to enforce this law and defend any citizen prosecuted by any state.

OC4me

This is a good example of someone not having any understand of the second amendment.

Where in this bill does it say that the justice department is to enforce this law and defend any citizen prosecuted by any state.

It may not (I haven't read the bill yet), but the law will provide a legal defense to whomever is arrested. IMHO the justice department can and should step in to defend the constitutionality of the law.

People will be arrested, prosecuted, etc. and it will take years to sort everything out. Still I believe national reciprocity to be the beginning of the end of may-issue/no-issue in states like California, New Jersey, Hawaii, etc. as their subjects wake up and demand actual citizenship with Second Amendment rights.

Granted, requiring a license to conceal carry is unconstitutional in the first place but we have to get back what was stolen from us one way or another.

Last edited:

D1KarVer

We will then see more banned places. The business is private owned, the owner bans carry of Any Weapons those in violation will be asked to leave or the law called.
I wwnt to a store that said no weapons, I saw security and said what about legal carry of Any Weapons. And they said store is private owned and if need be they would call the cops, even on a sheathed Knife No weapons allowed unless law enforcement type officials. The security had mace.. I said thanks for the Info and never been back. But Post Offices, schools, county, and state. Depending on the day you may have it off more than on. Unless you're deep carrying and think its better to be Judged by peeon Peers of 12 then carried away by 6 and willing to take a risk

davidmcbeth

Banned
Great .... asking for permission slips to be OK for all who have them everywhere.

Instead, how about NO PERMISSION slips at all?

How can one argue one day that our RKBA is a right and that we should be able to constitutional carry.

And then the next day argue that a permission slip should be good everywhere?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Great .... asking for permission slips to be OK for all who have them everywhere.

Instead, how about NO PERMISSION slips at all?

How can one argue one day that our RKBA is a right and that we should be able to constitutional carry.

And then the next day argue that a permission slip should be good everywhere?
Suggest that you reread the opening sentence in the OP above........shaking head.

WalkingWolf

Some states require a permit/license to OC.

And in this case, I would like to see more of the camel following it's nose.

It will still be illegal to OC in South Carolina, Florida, and Illinois even with the law. There needs to be no law for nationwide OC, just a case taken to SCOTUS if Trump appoints the right judge. The shame is NRA, and other gun groups gave us the shaft after Scalia made it clear he supported OC as the right the founders intended.

The Truth

It will still be illegal to OC in South Carolina, Florida, and Illinois even with the law. There needs to be no law for nationwide OC, just a case taken to SCOTUS if Trump appoints the right judge. The shame is NRA, and other gun groups gave us the shaft after Scalia made it clear he supported OC as the right the founders intended.

Never understood how Black v. US could not be cited when OCing in SC. The age old statute v. case law argument.

The Truth

This Black v. United States, 561 U.S. 465 (2011)? How is that South Carolina case law, or applying to South Carolina SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

I'm referring to the 4th Circuit appeals case Black v. US. SC is within the 4th circuit's jurisdiction, correct? I am aware that the arrest happened in NC and not SC.

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Published/115084.P.pdf

I'm not making a claim, simply voicing my confusion as to the application of case law from the 4th circuit in SC. Feel free to clarify.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm referring to the 4th Circuit appeals case Black v. US. SC is within the 4th circuit's jurisdiction, correct? I am aware that the arrest happened in NC and not SC.

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Published/115084.P.pdf

I'm not making a claim, simply voicing my confusion as to the application of case law from the 4th circuit in SC. Feel free to clarify.

That court noted the word "absurd" (or words from it) quite often. I take it he thought that the cops were just making things up.

A 4th amendment case....

The Truth

That court noted the word "absurd" (or words from it) quite often. I take it he thought that the cops were just making things up.

A 4th amendment case....

Sure, but it seems this case set a precedent that the presence of a firearm does not equal RAS.

Perhaps this is off topic for this thread.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sure, but it seems this case set a precedent that the presence of a firearm does not equal RAS.

Perhaps this is off topic for this thread.
It is.

This thread is about National Reciprocity momentum and gaining acceptance of it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Maybe once people understood the hypocrisy of wanting constitutional carry in addition to 50-state recognition of permits, the thread had no where else to go?
No hypocrisy.

Would fully expect one before the other. 50 state recognition could well be the impetus to ConCarry.

Some states may well still require a permit/license.

Even a home run requires that all bases be touched in their order - jus' sayin'.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Maybe once people understood the hypocrisy of wanting constitutional carry in addition to 50-state recognition of permits, the thread had no where else to go?

Another everything now or nothing defeatist attitude.

How many times have we seen I rather give up a small gain because I am waiting for the hail Mary pass to win the whole game at once.

They are called hail Mary passes for a reason yes they do happen but most games are won a yard or two at a time.

Those of you that are waiting for shall not infringe to become the law of the land and are not willing to enjoy the gains we have made feel to do so.

Personally I well enjoy carrying where I can legally. Even if means jumping through a couple of hoops.

While fighting for constitutional carry nation wide.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
A person can say that .govs cannot regulate our RKBA.

A person can say that they want permits to be acknowledged by all states.

But this cannot be the same person as these ideas conflict....at least for that person to be talking w/o contradicting himself.

Hardly a "defeatist" attitude.

I won't convict anyone of any gun crime as a jurist .... who else is willing to do that? Make the pledge and follow through.

If all gun owners did this, then all the gun laws would be negated regardless of if they are on the books or not.

WalkingWolf

No hail Mary, we had the SCOTUS clearly before Scalia died. His rulings made it clear that as the deciding vote he would vote for constitutional OC. Yet the greedy people of the supposed gun rights orgs ignored his words. Being that these are some of the best attorneys in the nation I can't believe it was out of stupidity. The only reason we do not have nationwide OC is because of greed of gun orgs.