• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Salty gun ban;products to make gun "non-detachable" mag/warning/examination

davidmcbeth

Banned
REFERENCES

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/act/pa/2013PA-00003-R00SB-01160-PA.htm
^^^ the law

https://www.franklinarmory.com/products/franklin-armory-10-round-dfm
^^^ mag that company claims makes gun into non-detachable type

https://www.armaglock.com/
^^^ new design part for salty gun

Portion of rifle salty definitions of PA13-3:
A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least.....

Another portion of PA13-3:
A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subparagraph (A)(i) of this subdivision, [(1) of this subsection,] or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subparagraph (A)(i) of this subdivision, [(1) of this subsection,] may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

INTRO

I have been reading several patents relating to people's ideas of getting around our state's salty gun definition...

One angle is to simply make the gun a non-detachable magazine design (where one needs to dissemble to action of the gun to get the mag out ~ if one can at all). This would then eliminate such a gun from the salty variety regardless of anything else.

EXAMINATION OF FRANKLIN SPECIAL MAG

I see major flaws in the Franklin idea of their modified magazine (not rocket science here, they just add tabs (or modify a std mag) to the top of the mag that allow it to be dropped into the mag well and disallows it to be shoved into the mag well from the bottom).

The Franklin one, to my understanding, does not change the ability of the gun to accept detachable mags...one can still shove a std mag into the mag well. Note that the law says nothing about needing to have such mags, only that the gun can accept them. The mags are not part of the gun.

So while the Franklin web page linked above says it converts the gun into a non-salty gun....I would beg to differ...it does not change the gun's ability to accept regular mags at all.

So if one has tossed out their reg. mags for these thinking that they have outwitted the total idiots in Hartford....they are likely still in possession of a salty gun. And this is outside the thinking that the tabs could be easily snipped off, making them back to being basically "std mags" aspect of the product.

ARMAGLOCK

With this product you replace your mag release button parts (tossing them in the trash ~ 'cause you cannot keep 'em) with their parts that then will not allow a std mag to be detached w/o disassembly of the action.

Here, you ARE changing the gun itself.

And PA13-3 talks about having parts to assemble to convert a non-salty gun into a salty one...not for disassembly of a part already on the gun to make this magical conversion.

Also, if you were to remove the ARMagLock (an easy operation) ... [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0nnd0Parco for install of product] .. your mags would just fall out LOL. No way one could manually hold a mag in the proper position for the gun to operate IMO.

Of course the downside to the ARMagLock is the crushing of fingers danger .. I would add some foam padding to the barrel shroud to protect against this if one wishes to go this route (or some other level of finger protection).

CONCLUSION

IMO the Franklin product does nothing for a person in CT except to be a trap.

The ARMagLock appears to be the "best" option. But I could see needing to argue this legality in court ... would you be arrested? Maybe.

[I guess one could permanently attach a mag to the gun (making it a top-loading mag as part of the gun), making it part of the gun but this thread is to look at other products currently in the market place to turn a salty gun into a non-salty gun]

If anyone has seen any other products that are different in their design or application (there are several ARMagLock types but they operate via a similar principle) reply to the post.

Of course, pistols have the same requirement as needing to have a detachable mag ... so this thread covers both pistol and rifle

Last edited: