• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From Arizona with love.

exelci

Hi all..

I'm traveling from AZ to California for the holidays and I would like to take one of my guns with me and hit the range over there.. please correct me if I'm wrong.. as far as I know my uspc45 is legal in California and I need to transport the firearm in the trunk with ammo in the glove box. Am i right? Does the box with the pistol in the trunk have to be locked? Any restrictions on the ammo ? I'm taking speer gold dots. I have some 8 round mags and some 10 rounders. Should be fine right? Once I'm in California I can at least open carry at my family's house right?

Thank you.

Last edited:

mjones

Hi all..

I'm traveling from AZ to California for the holidays and I would like to take one of my guns with me and hit the range over there.. please correct me if I'm wrong.. as far as I know my uspc45 is legal in California and I need to transport the firearm in the trunk with ammo in the glove box. Am i right? Does the box with the pistol in the trunk have to be locked? Any restrictions on the ammo ? I'm taking speer gold dots. I have some 8 round mags and some 10 rounders. Should be fine right? Once I'm in California I can at least open carry at my family's house right?

Thank you.

All the answers to your questions are available in the stickies, so I'm not going to provide citations...

The handgun is fine, but no magazine with greater then 10 rounds (illegal importation)
The handgun needs to be transported in a 'unloaded in secure locked container.' The trunk can be the locked container. A locked 'gun rug' also qualifies. The 'glove box or utility compartment' may NOT be the locked container. Ammo can be carried anywhere - so long as its not IN the gun.
Speer gold dots are fine anywhere in CA with the possible exception of San Francisco. SF has a odd ordinance that could possibly apply to anything by FMJ - but noone has ever been prosecuted either...

If your family's house is within an incorporated city, you may not open carry 'in public'. An un-fenced front yard is considered 'in public' (even if its private property) Within the house, or in a fenced backyard is ok.